Homesick...

hi all,
We arrived 4 weeks ago and I started to feel a  bit nostalgic.
I had a big enthusiasm about leaving London and moving to a less hectic place... now startong to feel a bit weird and a bit sad.
I moved here for a job and this dod not worked out in the first week ( left behind a good job back home).I.had a quite bad start here..
maybe thats the reason?
Has anyone felt like this?
I feel disconnected dnd separated from all I know.I feel like i cant adopt myself here.

Hey amej ... It's understandable to feel out of sorts of things haven't worked out but I think you need to take some time to work out if you want to stay and find another job or if you are going to go back to the UK , do you have other people here or are you alone ?  I think we all at some point have felt like this it's a huge move to make and it's not an easy thing maybe you need to find some friends on the island and other people who are in similar situations to you .
Maybe you need to find a hobby and ways to meet people , if you need anything though please feel free to message me and I hope things pick up for you whatever you decide ;)

Hello amej,

That sounds quite understandable with what has happened to you.
We are doing the same moving from London to Malta in 10 weeks
leaving jobs behind & starting afresh.
But I would like to say there must have been a good reason you wanted to make the move to Malta
so take a few deep breaths & see if it can't work out for yourself.
I for one have waited 20 years to make our move & I'm sure at some point I will get home sick
but there is a reason your there right now.
focus on that & if it does not work out then you can always go back to London
whatever your decision is I wish you well

When you move to Malta you bring with you expectations based on your former life, some are met and some fall below what you expected.

Its a normal feeling and can make you question why?

After a few months things may seem  different so give it a bit longer.

Malta will never match up to London, any job you get will never match wages in the UK.

Malta is based around tourism and retirement.

Accept that and move on either stay or go but do whatever makes you happy.

Terry

Hi ,
It is all true what you are saying...many thanks for your replies somehow makes me feel so much better :)

Its good to know there are people here who understand how I feel and take time to post few nice words.

Thanks again...will try to put myself together..

I am also a newcomer in Malta and I completely understand You.. I am from Poland, left job back home, stll havent found anything good but have some dear friend who agreed to host my for as long as I need. I know that everything seems to be so different in here than in our home countries but try to see always the bright colours. If U want we can always meet up! :)

Hi whats wrong? come on...

Hi whats wrong?

Hello,
I've moved 13 times in my life(from town to town, from country A to country B, etc..) and from my huge experience in moving once every less than 2 years I can say that it takes some time to get used to a new place.Just give yourself the time to adjust, then you will feel much better in your new home or ''home''.
One thing that helps me the most is to remember only the bad things about my old home, and think of the great things that await me in my new home.Try to do that and you may just get better.
I am about to move again from my home country to Malta alone, my wife is staying in Bulgaria for a year and I am pretty sure I won't feel even a little bit nostalgic.That is because I don't try to remember the good things about Bulgaria but only the bad things.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!

hi i moved here 6 months ago from manchester and still not settled here people say it takes a while im still waiting and wanting to move back tothe uk .

I've been here for over 2 years now and I never felt homesick. I just miss decent drivers. I've just been to Austria, Germany and the UK and found myself surprised by the mindfulness and consideration of other drivers.

I went back to England last sept for 10 days. felt homesick to come back to malta in about 32 hours lol UK sucks Malta rocks

It's weird
I feel more at home in Malta than I do in the UK
I have so far managed 39 visits to the islands
we have now bought a place in Malta & can't wait to get started refurbishing it
the people & pace of life have always appealed to us
I have no doubt when we move in August we will only consider the UK as a holiday destination to visit family
counting down the days as i type :)

Hi
Myself and my family only moved out here 7wks ago too. A complete new start for us all, so far we have two families who we have made good friends with if not it would be so much more difficult.
I love life here it's so much more relaxed but some days I really  miss my friends/family so much I have a lump in my throat all day.
Not sure where abouts your living in malta but I'm happy to meet up for a coffee sometime ☕️☕️☕️

tearnet wrote:

Malta will never match up to London, any job you get will never match wages in the UK.

Malta is based around tourism and retirement.

Accept that and move on either stay or go but do whatever makes you happy.

Terry

Terry, I agree that Malta will never match London and wages will never match UK, however if people had read up they would have known that from the Outset.

Malta being based on Tourism and Retirement however I disagree with.  I have a very well paid Job and came here to work but to also enjoy the lifestyle.  There are a quite a few that come to retire but look at the Industries that are booming in Malta, Igaming, Finance, Aviation and yes Tourism.

With regards to feeling homesick, everyone feels it at some point, for working people its easy, they are meeting new people, they are getting into their work zone. My wife found it extremely difficult in the first year as she is at home and I am talking about my new friends etc... join some groups, meet some others, have days that you meet others for coffee or beach or just walks... its difficult, but when you are sitting in the coffee shop with your friends who are probrably feeling the same way and your looking out over the blue sea with the Sun beating down... ;)

Julian

Hi, how can u be homesick, if you are Maletese? May be you aren't Maltese, you see we can t always assume things, I happens to everyone  :unsure

I don't think I will be homesick when I arrive,  but I do worry about feeling trapped on a little island!  Does anyone else feel that way?

Jasminej wrote:

I don't think I will be homesick when I arrive,  but I do worry about feeling trapped on a little island!  Does anyone else feel that way?

if you are worried about feeling trapped so yes you will be trapped definitely, yes it's an island. If you come to Malta, this is in my opinion, for sun, relax, special lifestyle, retirement, english speaking country, low taxes etc. It's not for everybody definitely.

I was homesick when I lived in France, some years ago, and decided to go back to my country.
I deeply regret my decision, not because life was easier in France (quite the opposite), but because I chose to live the "same old" instead of a new life with new friends and experiences.
I know it's not easy to have the same comfort you've had in your home, but if you have the adventure spark in you, it's absolutely worth the hardship, and it's definitely better than the "same old" choice.
Hope you give Malta a chance, I know I would and will when I get there. :)

I lived in Gozo for six months in 2011 and never wanted to leave. After four years of missing the little rock I'm finally returning "home" permanently in August. I love the fact that whole families spill onto the streets at night to chat, eat and drink. I love the pride that each village takes in its bands and festas - one of my happiest memories was following a brass band marching through the streets of Fontana as it played dark, brooding music, under lights that were strung from trees and lamposts.

Behind peeling-paint doors you can find a group of teenagers working on a carnival float or tinkering with one of those sit-on-tractor style vehicles, the smell of sawdust and oil thick in the air. In the squares the children play tag while the parents gossip and argue over a coffee, all the while the church bells punctuate the bird-like chatter in confident peels. Down at the harbour the labourers bring the horses down to cool off in the sea watched by end-of-day drinkers spread across the bars and cafes, the wet backs of the horses reflecting the sun as their hulking frames gracefully follow the tether.

I know the islands have their problems and I'm not blind to them, but if you're feeling homesick just look for these little moments of beauty that are unique to Malta and Gozo.