Save the Dolphins!

Save the four dolphins!

This is one of those animal rights stories that just makes you sick to your stomach. Dolphins are in my mind one of the most majestic animals in the animal kingdom, and as much as people may say I'd "love to have one as a pet," I'd never actually have the heart to restrain one.

The story, posted by The Sun this morning, quotes "The water is so filthy the 6ft dolphins disappear from view when they dive. And they swim in their own excrement because the filtration system is unable to cope." What is worse, is that these dolphins are being kept in a pool "30ft square by 13ft deep."

And these residents in Hurghada, keeping the Dolphins in a dirty backyard pool...Waiting for a new dolphinarium to be constructed. All I can say is that I hope it's not the Dolphinarium I know of being opened, belonging to a large cooperate business here. Here's to hoping I can track down where this is...And see exactly what's happening!

I've been researching into this whole shenanigans since I first read this story this morning, and the real truth of the matter actually makes me sick to my stomach.

For those of you who know me, you'll know that I've been working with creating a magazine in the Hurghada area. No biggie right? Well...turns out, one of our primary advertisers is most likely the party involved in this dolphin cruelty. What's worse? I just had a conversation with the guy about two weeks ago, where he was so excited that the dolphins were finally here from Japan, that the Dolphin show would open in November as planned. If only I knew what kind of conditions they would be living in. I will leave out specific names for now, until I can in fact verify that they are involved with and aware of the conditions the dolphins are being kept in.

The Red Sea is at our backyard, and if this Dolphin show is planning on keeping the dolphin's in natural environments in their final home, why in the WORLD put them in a backyard swimming pool. Why not invest in the help of HEPCA and construct a temporary marine home for them? Oh that's right, because that would mean more money. And as anyone who has done business in Egypt will tell you, (and sadly this holds true for the rest of the world), whatever shortcuts that can be taken to save a few extra dollars, will be taken. The lives of these dolphins are at risk because of a capitalistic ideology of saving money and exploiting our natural resources, without even thinking twice of the consequences. I'm sure these people won't be laughing if their dolphins die before they can make it to the "show."

And what is it exactly that they are going to be doing? Circus tricks, a'la jumping through hoops. Although originally marketed as a way of people being able to swim with dolphins, after a little poking and prodding you will find that this is not really the case. The dolphins will be a party favour for people who want to watch some of the most majestic animals in the world diving through hoops. Why, when the Red Sea is right there, not go and see them in their natural environment? Or if you must insist on going to these shows, at least support the ones that treat their animals humanely!

Picture this, a 5 metre by 5 metre room. Probably the average size of your bedroom. Now picture 2 male dolphins, and 2 female dolphins, bearing in mind that most adult dolphins range between 2 - 4 metres in length, and anyway from 150 - 600 kg in weight. Four of these adult dolphins, in one small enclosure, you can only imagine how cramped it must actually feel. To top it off, the "filtration system" on the pool is "broken," meaning, these four dolphins are literally swimming in a bedroom sized shit hole, surrounded by their own excrement and God knows what else.

Worse still, is that I had the conversation with this guy over two weeks ago, and the dolphins aren't expected to be moved for another few weeks. Meaning they have been living in this outrageous environment for over half a month, with no end in sight as of yet. It truly, truly saddens me.

Unfortunately, there is little that we can actually do short of raising our voices and getting the awareness out there. I encourage anyone and everyone to do what they can to get these dolphin's stories out there. Don't let more of God's beautiful creations die at the hands of reckless human abuse and behaviour.

Sign the petition here, it's the least we can do, as part of doing out bit to preserve these wonderful animals and the life that they should be living.

PLEASE GUYS, VISIT egyptunbound.blogspot.com/2010/09/save-four-dolphins TO FIND THE LINK TO SIGN THE PETITION. PLEASE DO NOT LET THESE BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS SUFFER ANY MORE AT THE HANDS OF IGNORANCE!!!!

As always, Thanks for reading!

Sorry had to re-edit, realised I didn't introduce what I was talking about! :S

I hope so too! I honestly can't believe that this is being tolerated. If we don't speak out...nobody will.

Thanks for taking a minute of your life to potentially save the lives of four others.

Good news : in the next few days the Dolphins will go to a new and better destination YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Can't insert the photo but have a look on facebook or the official site of HEPCA.

Yes they are meant to be moved in 2 days! Although the pool they are being moved to is still not large enough for all of them, it's much better than the conditions they are being held in at the moment :)

Yes I know
HEPCA & Egyptian Authroties EEAA, GOVS, Governor of Hurghada, Whales & Dolphins Foundation, & Experts, are handling the situation well for the best of the Dolphins in Hurghada, awaiting press release from HEPCA & Authorities.

As authorities & strong NGO HEPCA r currently handling Hurghada Dolphins problem for the best of the Dolphins, & we all await results, Dina Zulficar (animal laywer) received alerts to open the file of Dolphinariums in Egypt: EMPC Egyptian Media Production City Dolphin shows... we all should gain experience from the happenings in Hurghada,.. Can ...we all together exchange info about EMPC dolphin shows?

How stupid from me to think that they really would be released 2day??? Ahlan Ahlan Egypt!

The 4 dolphins are still in the tiny pool, the transport of the dolphins to Shal Hasheesh is uncleared, one dolphin is probably to an eye blind, one dolphin is hurt and sick , if the 4 survive the time of quarantine, they go to the horrible Dolphinella in Sharm EL Sheik! I heard, another 9 dolphins ( from Taiji) were o...rdered for a life in captivity, in Egypt! The ULS Airlinea CARGO (turkish) from Istanbul transported the dolphins!

Hi Leprechaun
2 friends of mine who live in Hurghada sent me this via facebook

apps.facebook.com/petitions/16/stop-dolphin-captivity-in-Egypt

Which petition should I sign??/

hey Y30. The link to the facebook petition is run by the same people that have the other petition posted online, so it doesn't really matter which one you sign!

These dolphins have still not been moved, it's terribly sad!

A veterinary examination showed that the physique of the "Hurghada four " turns out to be surprisingly robust . The dolphins eat a lot and should have put on weight . Worryingly , however, is their mental state.The animals are frightened , stressed and constantly keep his head under water. This also speaks against the ...fact that they come from captivity , trained dolphins , visit us with his head out of the water , they are used to get from food to " top ". Now should still taken blood samples and testing for bacterial and fungal infections are carried out.The import permit ( CITES documents) for "Hurghada - Four " is that it consists of Osaka (Japan ) come and Saudi Arabia came to Hurghada. they were transported from the Turkish Airlines Cargo Airline ULS from Istanbul. CITES is to have this confirmed . The papers show that it is not are wild caught , but of animals from captivity. All these papers are likely to be fake ! The owner of the Dolphins , alas, has significant financial resources. He is easily possible to send the necessary funds accelerate the responsible authorities.It is also unclear when and whether the animals are in the artificial saltwater lake at Sahl Hasheesh resettled . While some sources speak of a period of about a week , it is said by others, the owners and at least one official of a competent authority would have opposed the relocation.
Meanwhile, like the swimming pool where the "Hurghada Four " have to endure still more and more a high- security wing. In addition to continuous surveillance of privacy protection has been enhanced, making it difficult from the outside is still possible to take a closer look at the pool and on the situation of the animals

Hurghada dolphins Up Date: The ultimatum is expired for 48 hours, the dolphins are still in the dirty pool! Wagdy Saad, the “owner” of the dolphins refuses to move the dolphins to Sahl Haseesh, he wants that the dolphins get moved to his new pool ( near Senzo Mall), where the building work isn't finished. Ric O'Barry... calls this new pool "hole in the desert", in which the dolphins are dying. I heard, “Mr. Saad “paid for one dolphin 340.000 USD, and 150.000 USD for a simulated emergency landing to Hurghada! Originally the 4 animals should go to Sharm El Sheikh! Now, reliable sources in Hurghada speaks plain language, animal and conservationists are confronted with a criminal organization. “Mr.. Saad, the owner” has over 40 lawyers, who work for him in that case. Two new dolphinariums will open in Hurghada this year! Now, we have to fight, that this doesn't happen!!!! I think, in that corrupt case, Hepca can't help any more! And now we can see again, money talks! Info G.w.

They are moving the dolphins right now to another horrible place, Ric O'Barry calls it the ''hole in the desert''!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Charmer, I have a couple updates to the story. I'll be posting an updated blog on it tomorrow.

There is not a pool in Hurghada or anywhere else in Egypt big enough for the four Dolphins . They were picked out and captured from the cruel Hunt in Japan. The Dolphins should have never been allowed into Egypt in the first place. CITES are responsible for this and the Dolphins should be confiscated as soon as possible so that Marine Connection , DRG , Ric O Barry can step in and return them to Japan . There is an island in Japan were Dolphins are free and protected.

To say that because there are Dolphinariums in the USA , Europe and other parts of the world is a poor excuse for greedy money makers.

The ' Mubarak Four ' were kept in the small pool for nearly six weeks, in a quiet street and the owner thought the people who lived in the area would say nothing. ( He picked the wrong street ) !

Why was notice not given sooner to remove the Dolphins ? Why was the owner given time to finish his Pool in the middle of the Desert , out of the sight of the public ?

Has the Decree from the Governor of Hurghada been put in writing ? Or is this another verbal agreement like the verbal agreement that was given to Marine Connection to say there would be no more imports of Marine Mammals in Egypt.

The Dolphins should be confiscated and CITES Cairo should make an example of this case so that it never happens again no matter how much money these greedy cruel people have !

The so called 'Owner' is not fit to keep a street dog never mind Dolphins and he has showed the world how much he cares.

The swimming Pool in the Villa was started in February and is now being filled in. Which just shows that if nothing had been said by the caring public the Dolphins would have finished their quarantine in the pool and more Dolphins would have been brought in !

This person or persons should not be allowed to keep any animal let alone be allowed to open a Dolpinarium ! If Egypt wants to keep up with the rest of the world then they need to stop all this soon. There is now an understanding in other parts of the world that the Dophins do not survive long and suffer, so the Dolphinarium business will be a thing of the past ! Wise up Egypt.

The four Dolphins from the wild in Taiji are currently being trained to perform tricks in the eastern sahara desert. Two dolphinariuums are planned in Hurghada. The one in Makadi bay has planning permission it is rumoured two beluga whales six dolphins and six sea lions are due in as the water is ready to take them. The four in the desert owner Mr Wagdy Saad has no permission for his dolphinarium YET. It is also rumoured the three dolphins (one a newly born calf) from magic land cairo are destined for Hurghada. It is hard to get the truth in a country run as it is but my information is a close to accuracy you will have for now. Cites made an agreement to not allow importation of mammals to Egypt in 2005 it was verbal now they have broken it and intend to continue doing so.

The people who instigate the captivity of free dolphins for profit must understand that they have picked the wrong place to ply their cruel trade.
The red sea is free and open to explore and see the dolphins in their natural environment. We have not been given any evidence to show that these dolphins did not come from the red sea!! Why would Mr. Saad pay so much money to import dolphins when greedy people would be willing to catch them from the red sea? After multiple requests about paperwork on these 'alleged imports' still no proof!!

If they did come from Taiji why would Egypt condone the capture and consequential slaughter of the other rejected dolphins. Captured with nets, harpooned by greedy, desperate inhumane individuals - humanity at its most inhumane.
see Youtube- the cove extended version Ric O'Barry

This is horrible. There really needs to be a happier ending to this story...