Would like to Move from Old San, Need Suggestions

My husband and I recently moved to Puerto Rico and we live in Old San Juan.  Although we do love being in the Old City, now that we've been here for a while, we would like to move out further to get a little more space for our money.  Our apartment is small but we have the most amazing view of the sea, which I thought would help me to deal with the small space; but I'm beginning to feel cramped.  Can someone give me some options of other locations (no more than an hour to 1.5 hours from the city), where we can get at least 2 bedrooms for near in cost the $825 we now pay for our small place.

Hi,

Rincon is probably too far, but I've got a great 3 bedroom house 5 minutes walk from ocean for $600.  Sounds like you have the view though, and Rincon is about 90 miles from San Juan.  So...good luck :)  Carolina, maybe???  I was able to find several places on craigslist.  While people have advised that it isn't the greatest, I had very good luck.  Worth a shot!

Liz

I will share this information with my husband.  While I'm okay with 90 miles, it will be up to him.  Plus, we would need to check on cost of a mover to get our things out there.  Is Rincon a good area if we don't have a vehicle?  Do you have any images of the property you could share with us.

Hi,

Yes. I have some pics, but not of the front (duh! I should have taken those!). It's not fancy, but I don't need fancy...also, I put the downpayment for the place and I technically move in on June 4th, so not there yet. Still mainland Arizona.  There is a fenced yard with banana, coconut, and avocado trees in it.  It is a two story house with my apartment on top and another tenant on bottom.  The area I will live in is the Estella community, known for free-roaming chickens and a more homey Puerto Rican feel, which I like.   I am moving with 2 of my 3 kids (oldest in college) and will not have a vehicle.  I am not sure about public transportation, but I am queen of the bicycle, so I am used to living without a car.  So, to answer your question, yes, I do think it's doable to live there without a car, but I also prefer to bike or walk anyway. Everything is slow, so no need to hurry to get anywhere.  That is what I definitely like! I'll work on getting you pics, but, seriously, check out craigslist too.  I looked at several places in different towns before making my decision.  Each house/apartment on craigslist that I looked at was very nice, and the people I talked to were helpful.  If your husband is working in San Juan, I would say that the commute might drive him crazy.  The times I drove between San Juan and Rincon weren't great, but I also prefer bikes to cars, so I'm biased!!  Another person you may want to talk to here is Mac, who lives in Rincon.  There's one more guy (can't remember his name) who may have helpful suggestions.  There are also other communities like Quebradillas (66 miles), Isabela (72 miles) that seem pretty nice. 

Liz

First of all start checking classificadosonline.com. I'm sure you can find lots of places way less than one  hour from San Juan in that price range. I suggest to start learning the other areas and see what appeals to you. Old San Juan is generally more expensive than living in other areas in the Metro area...such as Condado, Ocean Park, Santurce, Isla Verde.If you don't have a car stay in the Metro or if you get a cat you could move further out. Dorado is only 20 min from OSJ. Also there is Bayamon or Caguas Etc. Any of these areas you can find a larger space with your budget. This I can say after living in OSJ many years and then moving to Dorado. I don't recommend living outside of the Metro including the West coast without a car! Also commuting from Rincon to San Juan? No No and No!

Thanks Dora, we are checking those areas.  We would still like to be near the beach and/or ocean view.  Do you know of a realtor that could assist?  I am also checking clasificadosonline.com already, but not sure of all the towns listed and their distance.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : removed as requested by the author
dcarterbriscoe wrote:

My husband and I recently moved to Puerto Rico and we live in Old San Juan.  Although we do love being in the Old City, now that we've been here for a while, we would like to move out further to get a little more space for our money.  Our apartment is small but we have the most amazing view of the sea, which I thought would help me to deal with the small space; but I'm beginning to feel cramped.  Can someone give me some options of other locations (no more than an hour to 1.5 hours from the city), where we can get at least 2 bedrooms for near in cost the $825 we now pay for our small place.

If you work around San Juan, I say Santurce and Rio Piedras, maybe Hato Rey
Consider Santurce Luquillo, Bayamon, Rio Piedras, maybe Caguas (farther). Luquillo would be my favorite for the proximity to the beach.
But I recommend a car.

Neither of us work so that wouldn't be an issue; but we don't have a car so the issue would be to move somewhere that we can walk and get to things easily or even the public transportation.  We typically just rent a car once a month to venture out.  Proximity to the beach is definitely what we are wanting.  Thanks for your suggestions.

San Juan Area has the fairly convenient public transportation plus Taxi and you can get away without a car. I grew up in Hato Rey and Santurce.

Away from there you have Public Cars, they mainly run from one town to another. You can take them all along the route if they are not full but you have to walk to somewhere along their normal route. Do expect baby crying and sometimes a kid will barf so noisy and sometimes smelly. You will have to ask around as to where to stand to pick up a ride.

Some large towns may have taxy service but yours may not.

As to close to the beach ....... The island is about 35 miles wide, so as birds can fly, any where you stand you are never more than 18 miles away from the sea. Unless you can fly, 18 miles maybe 28 by road.

You probably need a car.

Even here in my area, we have Taxi but may have to wait an hour before they come, I also have a commuter train 3 miles away and with my own car I also have the convenience of driving in the Mass Pike (toll road) which is 1 mile from my house, But still a car here is a must and more so in PR.

A car also provides you the freedom of leaving when you want and returning when you want. Otherwise you are tied to a schedule. You also can not reach some places unless you have a car as there may not be any other kind of transportation there.

If you don't have or want to invest in a car stay in the San Juan area...I know plenty of people who have never had a car in San Juan...too many to count! Public Transportation is truly lacking in the rest of the island. Like I said there are lots of areas to check in San Juan close to the beach such as Ocean Park or Isla Verde...you can have a nice life there and its sometimes possible to even rent a small house...also there is Miramar, Condado or Santurce. You should be in walking distance to many places restaurants, groceries, depending on what you choose and also have public transportation: the buses and the train. Not to mention you have in the neighborhood of all the best Hospitals. You can also take a bus to the mall if you need to. I would stay away from Rio Piedras...harder to live without a car and more crime. Using a "Publico Car" is a good suggestion but probably more pleasurable to just rent a car to go out exploring that way you can go wherever you want.