Looking for a vehicle to rent- need i rent a Driver too??

I will be in Nairobi for a six month contract and am looking for a vehicle to rent for that period. I was advised to take a driver. Is this recommended?

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Edited your title to help you get more interactions.

You don't need a driver if you can work out where you're going. Especially if it's just mainly back and forth from work. Drivers are an unnecessary expense unless you're going to need to work even while in the car, as some people are constantly working and time in traffic is put to good use.
The main important thing is to know your destination and map your route and if possible, find accommodation conveniently located.
Do you know where your office/ workplace will be in Nairobi? That's a start.
I've also responded to your housing and car-rental query. Hope it helps.
Good luck with your searches, Sir. :)

Driving in Nairobi can be an unnerving experience.  Kenyan drivers tend to be very impatient.  No one wants to give way at junctions and roundabouts, traffic signals are largely ignored and drivers overlap one another to create extra lanes.  The result is frequent gridlock and lengthy commutes over short distances.  On top of this, you have pedestrians crossing here and there and cyclists & motorcyclists cutting you up.  The police do not pay much attention to enforcing driving standards.

At night, many streets are unlit and drivers often drive on full beam.

The advantages of employing a driver is that he/she will know all the shortcuts, he/she will be used to the traffic conditions and will be better able to cope.  The driver can run errands for you.

The disadvantages are that it is an additional cost to you - the minimum wage is around Ksh 13000 per month.  The driver will spend a lot of time idle, while not driving.  A friend of my wife recently found out that her driver was running a taxi service on the side, using her vehicle.  He made excuses such as having to take the car for fuelling and other 'checks'. 

Personally, when we moved to Kenya, we drove ourselves as soon as our car arrived from the UK - you get used to it!!

Hi. My name is Alice. I will offer you a presentable, knowledgeable and likable driver for you.

- Kevin.

Reason : For security reasons please do not give over personal contact infos on the forum

Let me know if you are still looking for a car

Hi, I know someone who has travelled and is looking to rent his car.

Hello!
I ope am not too late in replying this.
It is recommedable to use a local driver for sometime as you familiarize with the country rules of driving. Unlike most countries where they keep right and drive from left...here it us the other way round.
Hiring a driver for month is long enough to adopt with our system. There after you can decided if you want to keep the driver or not...  Actually if you are courageous enough, it might take you just a few days.

Most preferred cars within the city center are saloon cars.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Yes I have a Toyota Prado 7 seater with sunroof and carrier.

Reason : Please do not share personal contact infos on the public forum!

Hello all

For all those seeking or offering for rent or to sell any Vehicle, please refer to the dedicated space of the site with an advert : Vehicules classifieds in Nairobi

Regards
Kenjee

Hi,

I am looking to rent a car for 6 months within a reasonable budget. Would anyone know where I could find something as such?
Thanks x

Please call me through *** to sort out for you your query.
Welcome

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : do not post personal contact details here for your own security + no free ads here please

Renting a vehicle for 6 months is likely to be pretty expensive, especially if you don't need to use it every day.  Are you intending to self drive?  Driving in Nairobi can be very challenging.

When we first came to Kenya, our car was shipped from the UK, but took 3 or 4 months to arrive.  As we didn't need to go out daily, we engaged a taxi company and negotiated reasonable rates.  It worked out cheaper to do it this way.

Hiya thanks a lot for the information.  Yes I intend to drive daily. However yes that makes sense to hire a taxi instead of a car as the rates are quite high for daily hire.

Any company to recommend?  And what are the rates like?
From a fellow mover to another how has adjusting to kenya been?

Once you have been stuck in a traffic jam or two (which can be for hours and overnight not unknown!), I think that you may only want to drive as and when necessary.   I know of a few expats that just won't drive in Nairobi, as it is too stressful.

Having a driver is a real advantage, as they know the city and routes, but would be very expensive.  The other consideration is that parking in Nairobi is difficult, due to shortage of spaces and costly.  Despite having a car, I generally get a taxi when I want to go to Nairobi.  I don't have the stress of trying to find parking, or negotiating the city traffic.  I can conduct my business and be picked up when finished.

However, if you are going out daily, then a taxi may work out to be quite costly, depending on how far you want to go.  If you stick to one operator and use them regularly, substantial discounts can be negotiated.

I have never hired a car in Kenya, as we have always had our own (after he first one arrived here).  You could try the following:

http://www.glorykenya.com/en/car-hire/r … asses.htmlhttp://www.kenyacheapcarhire.com/ourfleet.htmhttp://www.budgetcarhirekenya.com/kenya … r_hire.htm

I have no idea what these companies are like, therefore I cannot recommend them.  You might find reviews on some of them on travellers websites, such as TripAdvisor.  When hiring, I would suggest that you make a careful inspection of the vehicle before you accept it and ensure that it displays valid 'PSV' insurance in the windscreen.

I would guard against contact from individuals offering to rent you a vehicle........without a proper contract, you are leaving yourself quite vulnerable should anything go wrong.

You asked about adjusting to Kenyan life:  It was very easy for me, as my wife is Kenyan, so I had a good idea what to expect before I came out here.  I also had the advantage of a ready made extended family, who made me very welcome.   The slower pace of life and 'african time' really doesn't bother me.

If you want car and driver please cal this number 0718364002 name is Antonio.. let me know after. Danilo

HI, thank you so much for the informative reply. I studied in the UK for 4 years and I am from Singapore so I understand what you mean by how the roads can be more stressful. I visited Kenya this summer as my boyfriend grew up there.

I am contemplating on moving over and thus I thought having a car would be more efficient allowing me to be more independent. However, yes, the jams can be quite stressful and you are right in terms of knowing where you go. Thank you. I will look into invidividual contacts etc and see if that would be a better option. Thank you.

Ah thats nice, having my boyfriend's family there is a plus in that you feel very welcomed. How would you compare living in Kenya to UK? I am thinking of going over to try living there. Any advise? Also, how did you manage to move over in terms of the visa situation?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I duly appreciate it x

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Promotion of services on the forum not allowed.

Kenya versus the UK?  To summarise: 

For me, the main thing that I like about Kenya is the climate and the fairly laid back lifestyle.  Kenyan people are welcoming and friendly and I have never felt out of place here and there is a good sense of community.  I like the fact that you get a more 'old fashioned' level of service in shops, garages etc.  For example a fully attended service when you fuel your car.  If you have money, life is very comfortable here!   The disadvantages are the fact that I can't just decide to go for a walk in the countryside, for example.   Travelling around can be awkward unless you have a car. I have to think a bit more carefully about security.  Corruption means that getting services from local officials and/or the police may well mean giving a bribe.  There is often the assumption that westerners are all rich, but over time I have got into the Kenyan way of bargaining.  Living in Kenya is not as cheap as people might think.

The UK;  Its much more developed, so the infrastructure - roads, rail buses is far more developed (if sometimes quite expensive).  Dealing with officials is straightforward and they stick to the law.  Corruption is virtually unknown for most.  Great shopping, especially in the larger cities.  Its generally safe to travel on foot, or cycle, by day and generally after dark.  The UK weather is extremely variable and (to my mind) often cold.  Due to its latitude, there are distinct seasons, with variable day length.  People are friendly enough, but the sense of community is largely lost due to social mobility and its most likely that you may not know your neighbours.   I don't know what the employment opportunities would be, but the UK has a lot of foreign workers.

Concerning the Kenya visa situation;  I have a class K permit, which relies on me having to evidence that I can sustain us from financial sources other than work (which isn't permitted).  This was the only permit which immigration would issue and a sizeable bribe was demanded.

Prior to that, I came here on single entry visa's, staying from between 3 and 6 months, before returning to the UK.

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Do not promote your services on the forum

Varschini,,did you get a car to hire already or not yet?

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct