Working in Malta

Hello everybody,

My name is Steve, and I am new to the forum. I am looking for a new challenge in life, and would dearly love to work and live in Malta. I have 17 years experience in the Educational and Training Sector, and have been to Malta 3 times before, but not for a while! Anyway I am a Career Advisor looking to work in either a college, or mainstream school setting. I am based in the United Kingdom, in London, and have thought about this for a while. I have also worked in IT, Counselling, Customer Services, and Mentoring. If anyone can signpost me across to any educational links in Malta, it would be appreciated. There are a batch of colleges in the main capital, but at first glance they would not appear to have anything. I would be really interested to know the processes involved about working in Malta, and information varies from website to website, and also the industry that is the most employable and marketable in Malta. I am UK Born and Bred, but have a mixture of Portuguese, Indian and Swiss cultures interlinked to me!

With thanks.

Steve.

Hi Steve,
I found it very difficult to find a good job in Malta who pays as it should.
So expect really low wages .
The betting games company are based in Malta and looking for people.
Try over there.

Success,

As an eu citizen you shouldnt have much trouble finding work as has already been pointed out wages are low.

as for the proceses
1, You wont need a work permit  - your entitled to live and work here without restriction
2. you will need to apply for residency but not for 3 months after arriving
3. find a job check out the times of malta , malta park and the etc.gov.mt  (you can register a temporary account here ) there are usually educational jobs on there etc .
4 find somewhere to live

you will find with option 3/4 your less likely to get a response if your applying from outside of malta so you will want to come here with a decent amount of money to tide you over for at least 3-6months
you can come here with less but its a lot more work and a lot riskier

if you have any specific questions then please feel free to ask

the wages are relative to the lifestyle and cost here in Malta.

for example a 3 Bedroomed apartment in London cost approx 1500 to 2000 £, In Malta St Julians area could be around 700€ in the south you can get fro about €300.

Call Centre Agents get in the region of €14000 whilst you can get Sales Roles (management) earning upto €75,000.

Yes the Wages are lower but cost of living is as well.

Hope you enjoy your time looking.

Julian

Indeed from outside Malta it is difficult to apply and you need money to start your life on the island.
Yes you are correct cost of living is a bit less than Belgium but still you need money for 6 months in case of no job.

Hi,
I am currently on the job hunt and find it difficult to  find a decent job..( which was never a problem for me in the UK)
I just come to realise that already the way they interviewing people is souch diffrent to what I know from the UK. It does not play as much role what your past work experience is the most important for them is what studies have you completed. I found some interviews almost intimidating :)
As soon as you tell them you have only have work experience because you learnt the profession on the job they will not put you forward for the job because you dont have a diploma for it.
I am thinking of going back to the UK since I am only been offered customer service jobs interviews  and all within igaming. If it is not igaming than most probably you will be offered a maltese national wage which is very low.
If I had to choose again I would be very careful with moving down here.I left a good job behind and now almost every application I do is turned down. Malta is beautiful on the pictures but reality is very diffrent here.
But again ...that is my experience.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.

With best wishes.

Steve.

I really don't understand why you guys are complaining.I've booked an apartament for 6 months for 350 euro per month with utilities included.For a single person I guess the food is going to be around 100-150 euro per month.Even with a salary of 500 euro that's not the worst.And by statistics the minimum salary in Malta is 700 euro so that leaves you free 200 euro.
Come in Bulgaria and find a job like this.For a normal 1 bedroom apartament you have to pay around 150-200 euro.The food is around 150 euro too, for a single person if you eat normal food.Then there are utilities - around 50 euro per month for a single person.Lets see how you pay that with a minimum salary of 200 euro and the most commong salary is around 300 euro.
Malta is a dream country for people like me.Maybe not for very high qualified people but for people like me it's perfect. :)