Australian Disability Support Pension Overseas

Hi everyone.

I'm the administrator of a new message board set up for the sole purpose of advising Australians living on the Disability Support Pension who spend time overseas.
Many of us have lived in Asia for years, most with wives and families, and we find it a more comfortable lifestyle than struggling to make ends meet in Australia.

Prior to 2003 we were required to return to Australia (portability) every twenty six weeks but the Social Security Act was changed to make this thirteen weeks. Life accordingly became more difficult with money needing to be saved for three to four return airfares a year.

Now the legislation is about to change again; to what we don't know, the politicians and public servants we have written to aren't forthcoming with this information.
I'd like to encourage potentially effected people to join our group and try to make our voice heard.

The Disability Support Pension is not some sort of welfare payment handed out to the undeserving. Most of us have paid high taxes all our working lives. In Australia taxpayers expect a decent Government pension on retirement, and people who retire early due to illness or injury should be entitled to the same thing.
Those who support Government cost cutting should consider the result of thousands of us returning permanently to Australia accompanied by wives and children, all whom are currently living on a single pension

I invite all people worried about changes to the pension to view our website. For those of you on the Age Pension, who knows, you may be next in line.

dspoverseas.proboards.com/index.cgi

Many thanks to the board administrators for allowing me to post this here.

Thank you sceadugenga for your post. It's a big help. If you don't mind, I also would like to share my site for anyone whose interested. [no free ads in your very fist message]

After a year of hard work and putting our case before as many politicians as possible it now seems that our goal has been achieved.
DSP recipients who have a permanent disability and no future work capacity will receive more generous rules regarding travel.

New rules for overseas travel for people with severe disability

The Government also recognises that the DSP is an essential safety net for those who cannot work.

New, more generous rules from 1 July 2012, will allow people receiving DSP who have a permanent disability and no future work capacity, to travel overseas for more than 13 weeks while retaining access to their pension.

In addition, DSP recipients who are severely disabled and are required to accompany a family member who has been posted overseas by their Australian employer will be entitled to continue to receive their pension for the period of the family member's posting. These pensioners will not be eligible for add-on payments such as the Pension Supplement or Rent Assistance while they are overseas. These changes deliver a net saving of $19.0 million over four years.

Existing portability rules will continue to apply to DSP recipients who may have some ability to work. Other working age payments will not be affected by these changes to portability arrangements.

Supporting Australians with disability into work
Date:
10/05/2011

Joint Media Release with:

Senator Chris Evans, Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills, Jobs and Workplace Relations
Senator Jan McLucas, Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities and Carers
Kate Ellis MP, Minister for Employment Participation

This Is Very Nice Forum And Very Useful Information About Pension For Everyone.

Thanks sceadugenga

It seems that the govt is definitely planning to make it harder for age pensions to be paid whilst you are living overseas.

Hi, been on dsp for 20 years due to an injury at work, it was stopped in March as I was out of the country for 6 weeks and it has since been cancelled. I appealed this and was told that if I return it would be reinstated so I lodged an appeal because their reasoning was all over the place and won. Now waiting to see if the decision is appealed by centrelink, they have 28 days to do so. If they do not appeal the decision I will be able to stay here so I am hoping it will be ok.:)

I am in the same situation, as far as social security disability, after working 38 yrs., but in America. I am not sure at this point what the rules are about the returning period to keep benefits...I am only now in the process of coming to Thailand this November 12th. to Dec 12th. for my first visit to see if this is the move I want to make in 2014. And for the same reasons as most of you guys, because of the cheaper economy on a fixed income.

I do know my health insurance will continue to following me from my previous job as a now disabled state employee, they have already given me an international letter proof of insurance.

But I also know many things are changing rapidly in America today, and nothing is for certain or stable in this day and time. It has definitely become a dog eat dog world for us all no matter where we live, and making ends meet becomes a daily struggle for many even in the so called great nations...I wish you all success and good peace of mind wherever you decide to call home.

Well, its 2015 now, I dont know how the rest of U dsp's are going but I'm back in oz livin in my sisters cold Melb garage now that my dsp got cancelled after 17yrs of health probs. I went from 13 wks to 6 to no income. Its a Big change after the Pines, now I got c/link givn me endless grief. Knocked back dsp app. becoz they wont wait for Docs reports. I send half my dole os to feed missus and kid, now I got sum job agency calln given me grief coz I missd appoint,threatening to get my dole cancelled. I'm sure I'm not the only one, how do U cope with this crap. I'm 60 in cupla mths and I'm just about stuffed

Koalabeer wrote:

Well, its 2015 now, I dont know how the rest of U dsp's are going but I'm back in oz livin in my sisters cold Melb garage now that my dsp got cancelled after 17yrs of health probs. I went from 13 wks to 6 to no income. Its a Big change after the Pines, now I got c/link givn me endless grief. Knocked back dsp app. becoz they wont wait for Docs reports. I send half my dole os to feed missus and kid, now I got sum job agency calln given me grief coz I missd appoint,threatening to get my dole cancelled. I'm sure I'm not the only one, how do U cope with this crap. I'm 60 in cupla mths and I'm just about stuffed

You have posted on an old inactive thread but I have replied anyway.

I sympathize with you. Unfortunately our govt is looking to save pennies ( in the meantime getting their pay rises and 25% superannuation) so they look at things like pensions and disability payments as an easy place to save money.

I am due for pension soon so asked about overseas payment as I live in Laos with family. Was told no problem for pension payment but would have to live in Oz for 2 years on the pension before they would even consider overseas payment. 

Third hand information seems to be that the govt is looking to stop all and any overseas payments.

The Age pension is fully portable and likely to remain that way.

The residency requirement is that you have to be living in Australia when you apply, if you've been overseas then they will make you wait 2 years for portability.
My advice would be to get back to Australia and re-establish residency before you apply.

Cheers Stumpy, bring on an election

sceadugenga wrote:

The Age pension is fully portable and likely to remain that way.

The residency requirement is that you have to be living in Australia when you apply, if you've been overseas then they will make you wait 2 years for portability.
My advice would be to get back to Australia and re-establish residency before you apply.

I contacted C/Link in Dec 2011 and was told to come back to Oz for 3 years.Came back and have been based here since, only FIFO to Laos when working in WA. Have not worked since July 2014 and only been back to Laos twice since then but am here in Laos now for a month as I have wife and 3 kids here. So cannot see why the extra 2 years now.