New to the group

Hi,

I'm Willber I'm hoping to move to Addis next year. I know only two people in Ethiopia and I want to meet more people. I will be in Ethiopia to visit my girlfriend from May 14th - Aug 15th and would really like to meet people who can help inform me. I come from a very creative background music, films, fashion and have just left the BBC after 18 years. I really want to know what it is like to live in Ethiopia.

Thanks for your time.

Wilbur:  I welcome you to beautiful Ethiopia. I consider Ethiopia my second home. If it is your first time to Ethiopia, it will be adventure for you and even overwhelming. That's okay. I have lived in Ethiopia over six years of my life- first with the Peace Corps when Emperor Haile Selassie reigned- and then intermittently between 2008- 2014 after my retirement from university teaching in the United States. I know the country and culture(s) especially well from my activities in public health. I speak basic Amharic and I was happily married for a couple years to an educated and attractive Ethiopian woman. (Great story.)  My background is public health in Ethiopia and I have studied HIV and AIDS in Ethiopia. SO... FIRST. Before unprotected intimacy, I suggest that both of you get HIV tested. I do not- in any way- suggest that there is cause for concern. However, it is a wise tradition in Ethiopia among the more educated and enlightened and should be followed. (I did this before becoming intimate with my then fiance.)  You may wish to go to one of the private clinics in Addis. Go together and get your results together. SECOND. Ask your girlfriend to introduce you to her family because, in Ethiopia, you do not marry a man or woman, you truly marry an extended family. As they study you, you study them. THIRD. Do not rely solely on your girlfriend for recreation or socialization for the summer. Get out there on your own! Meet other forenjis (you are one) and develop a social circle of your own. Definitely visit the British Embassy. They are very welcoming and inviting to Brits. Say "hi" there. Have tea. FOURTH. Stay away for the late-night bars. They are trouble. Rather, go to the Addis Hilton bar (or the similar pleasant hotel bars to meet people in the evenings or on the weekends. So.  I have much more to share, but I will not bore you. If you are interested, get back with me. By the way, I am returning to Ethiopia in June to do some volunteer teaching at a high school. Perhaps we could meet for coffee. I wish you the very best of luck. Best, Tom   :)