Dengue Fever for over 10 days....any advice?

I was taken to a hospital (Le Loi) in Vungtau 11 days ago with a fever of 100 degrees. I was diagnosed with Dengue Fever from blood tests. Sometime later I felt all better and traveled to Nha Trang where I went out socializing (and drinking beer) for a few nights.

Problem is I have been ill again for days and don't have any energy. I am also experience severe dizzy spells and have pins and needles all over my body. This morning I felt very faint and had to put my head between my legs in order not to faint. At first I thought it was a severe hangover as I had just been ill. But I have not drank for 3 days now.

This is the second time in my life I have had this horrible virus. Has anybody had these weird symptoms who has had dengue? I am a bit worried now......

Go and see a doctor and get a blood test immediately.  Dengue MUST be treated. If left untreated it will attack your heart, as it did a friend of mine.

I have Dengue Fever once a year every year. It's a common fever here and normally it will be gone after 7-10 days. Blood test is a must to see if you need to stay in a hospital or just stay home and take medicine. Please go and check immediately, if you are in doubt of Vung Tau hospital, please come to HCMC as soon as possible. Your case seems to be the serious one.

Nguyet

Wow! that's scary. I mean, I heard there is no treatment. I have two problems here. One is I don't have any medical insurance (I know how stupid that is, but I only planned coming to the beach for a few weeks), and the other is that I have lost my bank card and am waiting on a money transfer.

I'm pretty freaked out now....

What sort of money do you think I will be looking at? And what hospital in Nha Trang?

Many thanks!  :(

Hi ODB

You may come to Tam Tri Hospital, they may speak English.

http://www.tmmchealthcare.com/en/hospit … -hospital/

I am not sure the exact cost, for my case it will be around 25$ - 50$ for checkup and $75 per hospitalized day.

Nguyet

Thank you very much for your help! I am here alone and have been in my hotel room all day, every day almost now. It's good to hear from you guys x

Take good care ODB

Stop drinking and partying!

The price to pay is higher than your booze!

stay decent & your health will be decent. You are what you are.

Good luck dude.

If you catch dengue early enough, you do not have to go to hospital and can be treated at home.  First step is see a doctor or the Yersin Institute on Tran Phu Street for a blood test. Ask one of your hotel staff to accompany you.

ODB wrote:

Thank you very much for your help! I am here alone and have been in my hotel room all day, every day almost now. It's good to hear from you guys x

All the best man, hope you get sorted and feel better soon, never fun being ill on holiday but it'll be pass once you get the treatment, keep us posted!

Hopefully you've seen a doctor by now, but here's my 2 cents anyway:

Once upon a time I was a combat medic in the US Army, but iI never had a soldier come down with dengue.  If I had, the first thing I would have prescribed would have been lots and lots of water, along with a saline IV.  Dehydration can take you out, so drink up!  Keep in mind the fact that an enema is a great way to rehydrate if you can't tolerate drinking a lot of water (no joke).

Know Your Enema

Know Your Tactical Enema

As far as medication is concerned, it appears that Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is a safe bet, assuming you're not allergic to it. 

Here's what the Mayo Clinic, one of America's premier hospitals, has to say about dengue:

No specific treatment for dengue fever exists. Your doctor may recommend that you drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration from vomiting and high fever. Acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) can alleviate pain and reduce fever. Avoid pain relievers that can increase bleeding complications — such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and naproxen sodium (Aleve, others).

If you have severe dengue fever, you may need:

Supportive care in a hospital
    Intravenous (IV) fluid and electrolyte replacement
    Blood pressure monitoring
    Transfusion to replace blood loss

Mayo Clinic

The search results on Google include an automatically generated synopsis of dengue, which suggests that the use of pain  relievers like Motrin is an acceptable part of ta treatment plan for patients with dengue, and they cite the Mayo Clinic as a source. Disregard that information if you happen to see it, because it's obviously wrong. I'm in the process of reporting it to them,  before they get someone killed.  Speaking of which - please don't do something crazy, like over-hydrate yourself via the backdoor, front door, or any door! 

While I have had extensive medical training, the vast majority of the cases I treated involved foot injuries and sexually transmitted diseases.  Those were the popular ailments for infantry soldiers during my time in service, so make sure and get yourself to a doctor that's well versed in all things dengue.  :top:

Alright I got my ass to a hospital early this morning. The hospital was a bit of a dump, but the doctor spoke English and seemed to know what to do. He didn't take any bloods though... What he did was give me a few injections and a heap of tablets. I have no idea what any of them were.

The result was I went home feeling a lot better. The dizziness had gone, and so had the feeling of passing out etc. I slept well when I got home, woke up ate a little and watched a movie, and then went back to bed.

I am feeling better now than I did at the same time yesterday, but he wants me to come back for the same jabs / meds for the next three nights. I don't have a clue about medicine, but I know whatever he gave me helped me feel a lot better, so I will go back again tonight.

Hopefully I will be able to swim in the ocean before I have to leave :-)

Take care all.

Congratulations ODB that nothing is serious as worried. Beach, drinks, seafood, sunlight are waiting out there for you, lol

Glad to hear your on the recovery mate, I bet your relieved the fear is gone, that makes it worse I find!

I remember being super sick in India in this dodgy little town and even dodgier hotel, thought I could just take a couple of days and wait the sickness out...got to the point though i was so sick that I had to go and ask for a doctor/hospital at like 6am...the hotel manager didnt speak a word of english but gestured me to follow him out the door, with me thinking he got the idea and was taking me to a doctor.

We stopped just up the street at a shop front with some shutters. He banged on them a few times and an old lady put her head out of the window above, they spoke a few words in hindi pointing and staring at me and then she dissapeared for what seemed like forever. This was no hospital or doctor so I was seriously starting to worry. Next thing a small box was thrown out of the window, the manager picked it up and asked for some money...I opened the box and inside were these huge yellow pills, I just thought "im not takin these!"...then i noticed on the label it said somethin "cilin" which sounded like anti-biotics, but really they could have been anything really...but I had no choice, so paid the guy and hopped off to my room and reluctantly took a couple. Nothing bad happened so a few hours later took 2 more and then done the same later that night.

Turns out I still dont know what they were, but they fixed me up good and quick, I was finally hungry and able to eat something after no food for 2 days and the next day took my bag and got the f*** outta dodge, but felt so relieved to be healthy again it just added to my joy for the rest of the trip and enjoyed it even more...although I avoided meat at all costs after that.

Thanks fir the update. Glad to read you a feeling a bit better.

Talking to my family on skype earlier and there is a knock at my door. I open it and the doctor is standing there. He has my injections ready. 'No escape for me then?' 'No', he replies. Good stuff.

I wonder what he is giving me as about 30 mins after he left I feel a lot more alert. Anyway it's pretty cool IMO.