Moving to Munich

Hi,

I don't have any specific questions yet, but wanted to introduce myself to this expat community. I'm moving to Munich in a couple of months with my German husband (I'm from the U.S.).

But I certainly welcome any tips or advice on living in Munich. :)

On thing is that I'm an "almost vegetarian" which means I make exceptions for special occasions. So if anyone knows of any good vegetarian restaurants or Bavarian dishes, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Sarah

Welcome on Expat-blog Sarah! :)

Traditional German fare is known to be very strong on meats, with vegetables functioning as garnish at best.
However, being vegetarian is common among younger folks and you'll not have any problems finding meat-free food if you keep you eyes open. Or you could cook yourself - given German restaurant prices this will also save you lots!

Ami_in_Munich wrote:

Hi,

I don't have any specific questions yet, but wanted to introduce myself to this expat community. I'm moving to Munich in a couple of months with my German husband (I'm from the U.S.).

But I certainly welcome any tips or advice on living in Munich. :)

On thing is that I'm an "almost vegetarian" which means I make exceptions for special occasions. So if anyone knows of any good vegetarian restaurants or Bavarian dishes, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Sarah

Best area to go out in Munich is the Glockenbachviertel. There are nice bars and clubs, i'm pretty sure you will find some vegetarian restaurants there aswell ;-)

Vegelangelo near the Isartor, and Prince Myshkin near Marienplatz, ar both great vegetarian restaurants.

Vegelangelo is amazing, not just because of the excellent food, but because the proprietress is both chef and sole waitstaff.

Bavarian cuisine is heavy on meat, as has been mentioned. But if you have a taste for cheese, it's not so difficlt to enjoy a beer-hall outing

Italian and indian restaurants are good fro vegetarians.  We like La Cucina in Haidhausen for Italian, and Kerala in Bogenhausen for Indian.

Hi Sarah,
are you in Munich yet? We just re-located from South Carolina, and I am staying home with our two boys - have lots of time....

Traditional Bavarian foods for festivities are heavy on the meat - but there are plenty of  everyday dishes that are vegetarian, Kaiserschmarrn, Semmelknoedel und Schwammerl, Reiberdatschi ....,

Andrea

Hi there Ami in Munich,

kaede-munich.de/
This is probably one of the favourite vegetarian/vegan restaurants in munich! I personally have never made it out there, but vegetarian friends rave about it.

A plave I really love is:
ignaz-cafe.de/de-index.html

These places are not as fancy-schmancy as Prince Myshkin but the food and the atmosphere is very comforting.

hope you end up loving munich!

cheers,
Hazel