Moving to kenya - would like to know about safety in Nairobi

Hi Guys,
I've been offered a job in Nairobi. I heard that it is not a safe country to live. Specially after sun set. I have to work as a Customer Support Engineer so i need to travel a lot. If some one could advice me on the ground realities of Kenya, about the safety I would be thankful.

Isaac

Kenya is facing a lot of  insecurity  issues, that's very true . There are safety measures that one can adopt to be safe. Like places to hang out and entertainment joints , apart from terrorism Kenya is safe .Just don't walk with your valuables. Anything can happen

Best regards

Safety is a concern in Kenya. You need to follow bulletins of the united nations about that. There are advises and precausions you must adhere to.

Depending on where you live in Nairobi, one part can be safer than other. You can find me in matatus all over town, Westland and Parklands and I have so far not had any trouble. Gigiri and Village are safe due to the upperclass crown. Safety is not one of my main concern at all. So far I find that you can enjoy the city if you just use common sense. I will not take a Matatu that is nearly empty or after 6:30 pm and I do not keep my bag, wallet or phone visually present in the car. Certain areas you want to avoid in general if you are not very familiar with them like Eastleigh for instance. Most important Do not get sucked into the fear mongers. Plenty of those driving around with the windows closed fearing everything and everyone. You will miss so many wonderful things that way. Walk around town, get Mukimo on the road side and chat with people, the Askaris and Mama Mbogas. Unless the UN or the embassy brings out a terrorist warning I pay no attention to the others. The only crime I have been victim of is monkeys stealing my mangos. Enjoy Nairobi and all the fabulous places.

No country is 100% safe in this world and Kenya is the best country I have lived so far.

Isaac yes Kenya has in the recent times been facing security threats but that does not that mean people should avoid Kenya insecurity is a common thing in almost every country and its unfortunate it has escalated here but we are hopeful and positive that peace will be restored and our beautiful Kenya will be back on HER feet!!

And again securiy starts and ends with me and me

Madsvirdi well put and I am impressed that you still find Kenya a place to enjoy your day to day life so positive.....continue enjoying our beautiful Kenya as well as encouraging other foreigners who might be doubtful!!!

I'm so happy to read this thread. I too am moving to Nairobi with my family in August and its nice to read positive comments for a change! We can't wait for the adventure!