Drivers licenses and cars in Belgium

Hello all - thanks in advance for any advice! We are moving from British Columbia, Canada and hoping to get a car for 6 months. Would the international drivers licence work for us? Can anyone recommend how to get a car for this short term? We have thought about car share - any experiences with this? Or the Renault but back program? Thanks!!

I was a member of Cambio. Worked great for me on a low income and unable to afford a car.
You have to provide your driver's licence, put down a refundable deposit and first or only driver attends a 1 hour orientation meeting where you are introduced to the system, but not how to drive the cars! All the cars are diesel and most if not all are manuals and you can park anywhere in Brussels as a resident and take the cars outside of Belgium, though for longer journeys, I recommend a regular car rental, for under 100kms, Cambio is great. You'll need a Belgian bank account set up quickly too.

http://www.cambio.be/cms/carsharing/en/ … mp;cms_f8=

Fabulous - thank you for the info!! Does one need a Belgian driver's licence to be able to use the car share? Is insurance included? Thanks again Tervurener!!

You'll have to email Cambio to ask about licences.
Insurance is included, but you can pay for extra insurance too, less than 50 euro per year. It might have changed slightly in the last few months. You pay as you go. Better to over estimate times and return a car early than to under estimate and pay the fine for being late! Cars are also free 11pm to 7am so I would often go out and collect at 11pm when leaving early the next morning, so I could come out of my front door at 7am and drive off.