Request advise on Food Expenses in Muscat, Oman

Hello,

I am checking feasibility to move to oman and not sure about the expense for basic needs.

Food : I read many posts & checked menu cards of many restaurants. None of the menu Card depicts that food expenses will be around 50 OMR for three time meal. I assume i will depend on restaurants available in oman as i have never cooked during my abroad stay.

I envisage minimum 2 OMR * 3 Meals * 30 Days = Average 180 OMR of expenses in food.

As i have lived in other countries e.g. UAE per day food expense is not more that 20 AED i.e 2 OMR.

Please help me how bachelors are able to manage in expense of 50 OMR/Month.

Laundry : Expenses for weekly laundry : i.e. 10 Clothes per week.

GYM : Expenses for membership of decent GYM in muscat

License : cost of license and duration required.

mayankj wrote:

Hello,

I am checking feasibility to move to oman and not sure about the expense for basic needs.

Food : I read many posts & checked menu cards of many restaurants. None of the menu Card depicts that food expenses will be around 50 OMR for three time meal. I assume i will depend on restaurants available in oman as i have never cooked during my abroad stay.

I envisage minimum 2 OMR * 3 Meals * 30 Days = Average 180 OMR of expenses in food.

As i have lived in other countries e.g. UAE per day food expense is not more that 20 AED i.e 2 OMR.

Please help me how bachelors are able to manage in expense of 50 OMR/Month.

Laundry : Expenses for weekly laundry : i.e. 10 Clothes per week.

GYM : Expenses for membership of decent GYM in muscat

License : cost of license and duration required.

Read through the posts in the forum categories section, right hand side of this page.
Also check www.numbeo.com  for cost of living

Hi mayankj,

Bachelors can manage 3 meals a day for about R.O. 50/- per month through the numerous Indian eateries which provide 'door-delivery / parcel' service, or even sit-down, fixed-menu service.

For laundry, it would be better to invest in a small washing machine and get your laundry done yourself. Giving it out would work out expensive.

Gym - there are 2 varieties. The branded chains like Horizon Fitness and some other smaller unbranded ones. The former would charge you on quarterly, half-yearly or annual membership fee, which could work out to be a substantial sum, while the latter would be in the region of R.O. 10/- per month.

Which licence are you referring to ? Vehicle driving licence or liquor licence ? About the former there are enough discussions on the subject available in the forum. On the latter, you would need your company's no-objection certificate, and some papers to be filled and submitted to the ROP. It is a process like any other formality here.

In addition and endorsing to what Mr. Sumitran has stated, yes, the laundry is not an advisable option if you could spend and get a washing machine. Generally, the laundry charges are  200 Baizas per cloth for wash and 100 Baiza per cloth for ironing.

For Gyming, Horizon is considered as good, however a bit expensive (Approximately around OMR 60 per three months, OMR 100 per 6 months and around OMR 150 per annum) and alongwith a membership fee of OMR 20. If calculated monthly, these charges are affordable, yet becomes a pain when taken out as full.
There are small street gyms in Ruwi area that charge as low as OMR 5 a month as well. But they're located way too inside and in densely populated streets.