Exchanging CNY (RMB) into foreign currency (HKD)

Hello,

I would like to exchange CNY (RMB) into Hong Kong dollars (HKD) in my ICBC bank account. How and where can I do this? My bank told me to ask a Chinese friend, but having been in China only for 6 weeks, I do not have Chinese friends, esp. if they have to travel all the way to the bank/waiting there, etc. How can I do it by myself?

You can call the Custom Service of ICBC 95588 and choose English, or just go to the ICBC and ask for some help from the worker in bank. Good luck!

firstly you are foolish to change it at the bank... they wont give you as good a rate as you can get from Money exchange places... and usually there is no fee..
however the bank will do it for you ...without having a Chinese friend with you....usually you will find someone at the bank that speaks English....find them... its a very simple transaction....
or wait until you are going to HK... take the RMB with you.... change in in KK... and deposit it into your account...you will need to be sure that you existing account is set up to accept foreign currency...if it isn't...its a very simple matter of doing this..... as with all banks in china  its all so dam time consuming  ha ha ha