It safe here.. for white females?

Mmmm,as for white females, it safe here in Papua New Guinea, cost of living and everything, we have got 24 hours Police patrolling and over 100 security guard moving in and around the city..We a well respected people..

In all honesty, although my heart is in PNG , it is not a safe place for women in any of the major towns and cities .I have seven daughters and several have been raped. We have experienced many break-ins and seen much violence.
Nowhere is safe , that I agree, but we were recently robbed at our home in Brisbane and the difference between this and the robberies we have suffered in PNG is that no-one is in any personal danger and there is no violence involved whereas in PNG they come with guns, groups of thugs and you are in grave danger of being injured or killed.
I lived in PNG for over sixty years and only the years we spent in Wau were relatively safe although violence was often all around us.
As I said.I left my heart in PNG but love my stress-free existence in Brisbane.

Nowhere is 100% safe and you have to make your own safety by getting to know people, the place and the current social situation including what happens at what time of day. I have been here 3 1/2 months so not actually qualified to say, but I have been in many areas of Port Moresby (POM) including some back streets at various times of day. I feel safe, but I know that I have to be careful.
To add to your safety make friends with good local people (but never refer to them as "locals" as this gives great offence). They will take you to places and enable you to understand the society. Most of all, they will respect you and protect you if necessary.
Don't get into any arguments especially in public and don't insult anyone - just say yes and smile and walk away. Smile, smile and smile; people will smile back and you will feel at ease.
At first go to places that have gates and security guards (the majority of good places do, so you will feel at ease). These guards should really be called "courtesy guards" as they help you park, open doors for you and pack your car.
I have been told that robberies are regularly conducted by poor youngsters who view expats (especially white women) as a source of money and  these tend to happen in specific areas. Also the inter-group fights and raskol gangs are mostly confined to certain areas. So, get to know where these areas are and unless you have go there avoid them.
Best not to dress too poshly and avoid showing off wealth (your wallet, watches, gold etc).
Right now I would say that unless you know the areas avoid walking around Gordon's Market and Two Mile Hill.
Any place can only be safe if you don't tempt trouble, don't cause trouble, move away from trouble and lock out trouble.
On the road you simply have to go with the flow. Being overtaken on the inside (left) on roundabouts just as you are leaving leftwards (cars missing each other by 1 metre or less) is common. Dangerous?? but its the system here. Get someone to drive you around before you start to drive yourself.
I'm beginning to feel at home here in POM and it's great when I'm out and PNG people are calling out my name, saying hello and shaking my hand.
Good luck.

Hello denpng,

You must be a friendly person from the way that you treat people here.  i commend you for that!

You mentioned about driving.  Is getting a license easy in png? or does png accept or honor if i have an international driver's license?

Having said that, how much does it cost to get a driver's license in png?

Many thanks!

Getting your licence is straight forward. Fill out the form and take it with the fee (less than 100Kina) and other id documents to the office (in Port Moresby there are 2 offices - one in Gordons and one in Waigani). Be careful to go to the licencing buildings not the motor vehicle registering one and remember that they do not accept cash so take a credit or debit card. There is likely to be a long queue but you should be able to take a number as you enter so it is orderly. You go to the first counter and sort out the form etc. Then you are asked to wait before being called into a photo booth. After that there is a short wait and you are presented with a credit card type licence with your picture and address on it.
Mine took only 30 minutes.
Note that your address (postal) may be different from your location (where you actually live).

This is the form that you have to complete.

http://www.mvil.com.pg/forms/Registry/m … icense.pdf

You will need your current licence and passport with visa. It will also be handy if you also take a copy of your work permit in case they want to cross check it. 

You can use your current licence for 90 days after which you must get a PNG one. You must carry your licence whenever you are driving. There are many police check points on the roads. It is advisable to stay out of any trouble or discussions with the police so it is recommended that you get your PNG licence within the first weeks of your stay.
Make photo copies of your licence in case it gets lost or stolen.

Dear denpng,

Thank you for this very detailed tip.  Will gladly take this in mind once i land in PNG!

----- Forgot to say that if you are stopped while driving without your licence the instant fine is 100 Kina if you have other problems you could be asked for up to 400 Kina (£100 UK) or your car will be put on the back of a truck and impounded.
As for safety you should also get to know the meaning of gestures. For instance when you are being called over (in shops etc.) the person waves at you with the palm downwards (I am used to the palm upwards). It looks as if they are asking you to go past so if the police does that and you drive away you could be in trouble.