HELP*** Schools

I just called 4 schools
Verdala International School
San Anton
San Andrea
and Chiswick

and all are fully booked! no place for my kids! what are my options? I cant let my kids stay at home. is anyone experienced this before? what to do?

Try St Edwards college,  Thi Lakin and St Catherines.  If they don't have vacancies you will probably have to resort to state schools.

Thank you!
I hope all the school you mentioned taught in the English language? I really want my kids to settle in nice and easy without the difficulties of foreigner language. Otherwise I am afraid I will have to start save for psychologist's services  to fix all the damages the relocations of my husband's work done to them....LOL

Oh no!  I was hoping for a private school for my son!  What ages did you enquire about?  Was this for the term beginning in September?

Most of the state schools will teach in English as it is one of the two official languages of Malta.

The amount they teach will probably depend on the number of expat children  that attend the school.

Terry

Yes! my kids age are 6 and 3 and the schools we checked are all full. If your son is in different age then my kids maybe you'll be lucky!
Good luck

If anyone else know different private schools that are good and in English... please feel free to share, and how long is the waiting? one month? few days? If there are few children that are on the waiting list what is the chance to open a new class?   

Thank you

may I ask why private school?
from what I've been told by some of my friends who had kids at private and later put them in state, there isn't much difference

Hi,

I agree with Duxx, why private school. ..Most of them use the exact same text books and they all have to follow the same cirriculum set by the Department of Education..I couldn't fault the state school my kids are at.. Yes they have to learn Maltese, but they are not expected to be fluent and they have extra lessons twice a week.. In some classes there are more expats than Maltese as its in an area where alot of expats live.. There is breakfast club, afterschool club and free transport if you need it.. We receive everything in English..Books are provided free to all kids and we pay 12 euro a year for photcopies.. Uniforms are very reasonably priced.

BTW I am one of those expats who took my kids out of private school and put them in state school..

I was hoping to find a non religious school,  which probably isn't going to happen.

Thank you all for the replys
The reason why I want a private school is because I prefer my kids will not learn Maltese we are probably going to be there 2 years, at home we speak 2 languages. and I dont see the use to learn a language that will be in no use for them in the future.

Jasmines, I also prefer non religious school.. I got the impression like you so far ... Is anyone know maybe of a school who doesn't involve religious in their program?

Thank you!!

Good luck with everything..

AmySH wrote:

I just called 4 schools
Verdala International School
San Anton
San Andrea
and Chiswick

and all are fully booked! no place for my kids! what are my options? I cant let my kids stay at home. is anyone experienced this before? what to do?

Hi, same problem here for this scholastic year and even for 2016/17. All schools fully booked with a long waiting list. I was suggested to call St. Michael's in Pembroke but I don't really like that school.

AmySH wrote:

If anyone else know different private schools that are good and in English... please feel free to share, and how long is the waiting? one month? few days? If there are few children that are on the waiting list what is the chance to open a new class?

All the private school teach in English. And church schools as well. Only government schools teach in Maltese.
There is no such thing as length of waiting list. Waiting list means those kids don't have place in that scholastic year's class. It might change after the church school's pull.

Eg. this year my friend's twins were 7th and 8th on the waiting list at Chiswick. They did not make it. They were 4th and 5th at St. Catherine's and they finally registered this week.
It seems if you are in the 5 of the waiting list you might have a chance.

We went to register our kids for the year 2016/17 and son was 25th on the waiting list, Dora had place in the Kindergarten.

No. They don't open new class.

AmySH wrote:

Jasmines, I also prefer non religious school.. I got the impression like you so far ... Is anyone know maybe of a school who doesn't involve religious in their program?

If your are an expat you can choose not to learn Maltese and religion. Your kids can learn English and ethics. For an extra (around 900 Euros per year) costs of course. It is called international fee.

I wish you good luck! :)
I was going to suggest San Andrea , but it's already mentioned that is full..!

Do the schools only cover religion in the religion class,  or is there prayer and and such involved at other times of the school day?  Also,  does the "international fee" to put the kids in a different class apply to public schools or private?

At Sliema Primary, its prayers before School and Mass once a month.. Kids must stay in line for the prayers each morning but when Mass is on they don't have to go...If you choose not to do Religion the kids take Ethics instead..The international fee is for Private Schools only... There is no fee for Public school...

That's what I was worried about - the prayers before or during school.  I think my younger child would be quite confused about that, as we are not a religious family and have never attended church at all.

Hello,
so it is possible to avoid classes that are in maltese ( religion, maltese) in public schools? And there is no fee for that? We are going to stay in Malta about 5-10 months at least for now and as one of the main reasons for the whole trip is English language, I would prefer teaching only in english. Our youngest is 8 now and she doesn't speak any english. I am not worried about that really as she is loaded with positivity and she is a fast learner, but to learn two languages at the same time...That could be a bit much! A little maltese in school is absolutely ok. Sounds like fun! We are not a religious family either, but I guess the children look at that as a part of getting to know another interesting culture.
Does someone know for sure a school that has a possibility to choose ethics and slip maltese classes without extra fee? A school with a lot of expats and a very friendly atmosphere? Also, do children aged 8,11and 14 go to separate schools or is there a school that teaches all ages? I really hope that the 2 younger ones could go to same school ( girl and boy). Love, Outi

Hi Outi, we are also arriving in August from the US . I have an 8 year old son and 15 and 17 year old daughters. I'm planning to take a TEFL course in Malta. If we live nearby I would be happy to give your child English lessons as practice!  Also an English speaking friend (quickest way to learn)!

That sounds wonderful! We are still trying to figure out where to live and where to go to school. Did you already find a place? It would be great to make some friends when we arrive! We'll keep in touch!! Love, Outi

No we have not found a place yet.  I have emailed a few real estate agents to help with our search,  but no one seems to return emails!  I think we will find a short term rental for one month while we look for a place we want to stay long term.

That's what we have planned also. We have 2 dogs ( golden retriever and a sheltie puppy)so I guess we have to take what we get.... Or pay a bit more... Well, I'm sure we will both find something nice once we are there!

Hi Amy,

Just saw this thread and thought I'd chip in.

I'm British, my wife is Maltese, and our daughter is halfway in between :-) We livein the UK at the moment, but we may opt to move to Malta in a year or two, and so we have put our daughter down for a place at St Michael school in Pembroke. We met with them twice, spoke to the principal on the phone and also spoke at length with friends of ours to help us with our decision .... I was very impressed with the approach they take and how they want their pupils to turn out.

I'm not really in favour of religion mixing with kids education, they assured me that we can opt out of this if we wish to ... which will require some more discussion between us!

Hey Jasmine,
My son and daughter have recently started a primary and secondary state school and so far are both very very happy and I opted out of religion so they don't have to be in those classes. I come from England and we don't know any Maltese at all :-)

Thanks for the reply.  It seems that everyone seems pretty happy with the public schools in Malta, so I'm not as concerned.  And all of the private schools seem to have a long waiting list anyways. Can anyone tell me the start date for school in September?  We hope to come in August and have everything settled with moving before school starts.

Jasminej wrote:

Can anyone tell me the start date for school in September?  We hope to come in August and have everything settled with moving before school starts.

20-22 September.

They start back on Monday September 28th... Well for us anyway in Sliema Primary..

Hey ash, my son has just started Sliema primary, he's in year 5, which year are yours in and have you used the summer school before? :)

Sliema primary for sure started on 22 September Monday. BTW 28 September was on Sunday.

I thought the question was "when do they start in September" as in September 2015. 28th September 2015 is a Monday.

I have only heard good things about state schools as well. We will be moving to Malta this August too, so I'm hoping to get my son enrolled in a state kindergarten by the time they start :)
I have also emailed real estate agents and most of them told me to contact them again 3-4 weeks before we get there, as may is way too early to start looking. In Germany you have to start looking for new apartments months in advance to find something decent.
I'm a little nervous but just as excited. Hope to keep in touch with everyone on here =)

Hi Sammy I am hoping to move to Malta early next year. We are coming for 2 weeks in October to look round. We are from the UK but currenlty live in Canada. I have 2 girls aged 8 and 3. What school do your children go to. We are going to look around marskalala and attard. How long have you lived in Malta

Samantha oreilly wrote:

Hey Jasmine,
My son and daughter have recently started a primary and secondary state school and so far are both very very happy and I opted out of religion so they don't have to be in those classes. I come from England and we don't know any Maltese at all :-)

May I ask which schools are these? Do they have a lot of expats in the schools? Is the secondary school mixed ( boys and girls) or separately? I hope to find a city with both primary and secondary school that is popular among expats and a nice place to live. It would be very encouraging to hear if someone is already happy in a certain school. My kids are 8,11 and 14BR, Outi

Outi, I had very good recommendations for schools and community in Marsascala.  I think that's where we will be looking to live.  I will forward you the info on schools there.

Thanks alot :)

Hi, can I ask you why you do not like ST Michael?
Their website is off and I cannot get any information about this school.
Thanks

Look at the Cambridge igcse system,then you can carry it with you also the virtual schools

@Jasminej  best place for non religious is state because they have classes of there own

@Jasminej best place for non religious is state because they have classes of there own
-@Diandra Borg

You are replying to a 7 year post and had been inactive in all that time.