PVP Type III Pass - How Long?

Hi there,

I was recently offered an internship placement in Malaysia this coming summer, lasting around 3 months. I've had informal talks with the company director who is looking into visas, but that a tourist one may be easiest as I would get 90 days. However for various reasons, I would much prefer to arrive on a work permit. I've contacted the Malaysian embassy who informed me that the company should apply online for a 'Professional Visa Pass - Category III'.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How long roughly would it take for this visa to issue? I have previously studied in Malaysia and it took them over two months to issue a student pass.

2. Would the company have to pay any fees, or sponsorship for my pass?

Thank you!!

I would much prefer to arrive on a work permit
1. Interns do not get work permits (employment passes)
2. The company makes this decision not you - they may not have sufficient paid up capital to offer you an internship officially and there will be taxation questions and administration involved - which is why they decide.

I've contacted the Malaysian embassy who informed me that the company should apply online for a 'Professional Visa Pass - Category III'.
1. Oh dear - are you intending to tell the company what to do and that you have approached immigration channels already?
2.  No remuneration possible in Malaysia under that category and officially there can be a liability to taxation if any income is paid in another country after 61 days.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How long roughly would it take for this visa to issue? I have previously studied in Malaysia and it took them over two months to issue a student pass.
1. If the company has to go through the hoops and prepare and submit all the corporate and financial statements, and get permission from the appropriate committee  etc. it could take a long time - 2 months is probably about right and you are not able to arrive in Malaysia during the processing.
2. In fact the company can control how long it takes by their efficiency or lack of same with providing the papers needed (if indeed they wish to do this at all - see above response).

2. Would the company have to pay any fees, or sponsorship for my pass?
1. Yes, there are fees etc.
2. An awful lot of hassle for the company as well
3. The company does not function as a sponsor but strictly as an employer.

Thank you!!

Thanks for the reply and help, seems like it would be best for me to go in on a tourist visa if it's going to cost them and take a long time. I asked the embassy as the company wasn't too sure as they don't usually employ internationals. I don't think me asking the embassy in the UK would raise any flags if I now go on a tourist? Or I hope not!

Yes, its a can of worms for companies that don't hire foreigners, as there are all sorts of regulations on the corporate side that present hurdles for them. The onus is on the company to follow procedures.

I'll get back to them and tell them about the waiting times and costs. It shouldn't cause any problems at immigration me having inquired at the embassy in London with intent, then arriving in Malaysia as a tourist? Thank you again for the help.

The more salient information is they would need to submit company formation information and have sufficient capital.

I once read an old Powerpoint presentation which said certain countries were exempt, among them the UK and Holland etc.. But whether that is current information, I have no idea.

Gravitas wrote:

I once read an old Powerpoint presentation which said certain countries were exempt, among them the UK and Holland etc.. But whether that is current information, I have no idea.

Exempt?

Hello I have encountered a similar issue. I will work in Penang for six weeks without any salary. The company said it takes time to apply for the Professional Visit Pass so I am afraid that I cannot go there on time according to the duration that my employer and I both agreed so I am thinking an alternative. Is it eligible to apply for a student visa or social visit pass?