2014 Altima 16" Rims fitted a 19"

Hi,

I just want to ask to those motorheads...

I have 2014 Altima with 16" Alloy (215/60R16).. I recently fitted it with 19" Maxima Rims with tire size 245/40R19..

Im feeling some GRRRR sound when I GENTLY foot the break.. I thought it was a break problem since I did not make any wheel alignment... but after I did the alignment, sound still there.. i went to a mechanic and said that my breakpads are still new and no need to change it, rotors are good as well... no rubbing on the fenders...

Im just wondering whats the cause on this one?? anyone??

Thanks

Your problem is probably not the age or wear of the brake pads, but rather the material they're made of and I'm surprised that a mechanic wouldn't have told you that.

There are two types of brake pads, CERAMIC and SEMI-METALLIC (more often just called metallic). Each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Sounds to me like your car has the less expensive semi-metallic brake pads. The most notable disadvantages of which are that they are considerably noisier than ceramic, they generate more black dust that sticks to the wheels more easily and is difficult to remove with normal washing, and they don't last as long as the more expensive ceramic brake pads.

If you take your car into the shop again I'm sure they'll confirm that this is indeed your problem. If that's all it is then you really haven't a lot to worry about other than the fact that you'll replace them sooner than you would if they were ceramic pads. When you are due to normally replace the brake pads then invest in the more expensive ceramic pads, that will clear up the noise and save you money in the long run.

If you don't mind the extra noise, then stay with the metallic pads since the main disadvantage of the ceramic pads apart from their higher cost is that they're harder on the brake rotors. Also ceramic pads are not recommended for racing or heavy towing.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

James wrote:

Your problem is probably not the age or wear of the brake pads, but rather the material they're made of and I'm surprised that a mechanic wouldn't have told you that.

There are two types of brake pads, CERAMIC and SEMI-METALLIC (more often just called metallic). Each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Sounds to me like your car has the less expensive semi-metallic brake pads. The most notable disadvantages of which are that they are considerably noisier than ceramic, they generate more black dust that sticks to the wheels more easily and is difficult to remove with normal washing, and they don't last as long as the more expensive ceramic brake pads.

If you take your car into the shop again I'm sure they'll confirm that this is indeed your problem. If that's all it is then you really haven't a lot to worry about other than the fact that you'll replace them sooner than you would if they were ceramic pads. When you are due to normally replace the brake pads then invest in the more expensive ceramic pads, that will clear up the noise and save you money in the long run.

If you don't mind the extra noise, then stay with the metallic pads since the main disadvantage of the ceramic pads apart from their higher cost is that they're harder on the brake rotors. Also ceramic pads are not recommended for racing or heavy towing.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks James... Now I know.. need to search some good ceramic break pads :) hoping to clear it this week.. Its kind of annoying hearing the sound... Yes, you are correct, my rims right now are full of black dust from breaks and its very hard to remove it... Need to get a good wheel cleaner as well.

No problem, my friend...... here at Expat-blog the DIFFICULT we do immediately, the IMPOSSIBLE takes us a few minutes.   :cool:

Cheers,
James

James wrote:

No problem, my friend...... here at Expat-blog the DIFFICULT we do immediately, the IMPOSSIBLE takes us a few minutes.   :cool:

Cheers,
James

Thanks for the immediate feedback :) the sound and grinding feeling started when I changed the rims and tires..

Cheers

Wheel alignment and other tyre maintenance activities should be done from a trustworthy place. If you are looking for such place in Riyadh, then Michelin tyres can be one stop solution for you. I have been taking their services since 4 years and I am completely satisfied.