Visiting Portugal for the first time. Questions answered!

Hi, I currently live in Washington D.C., USA.  I don't plan on retiring for over 6 years, but thought I should start doing my homework now by exploring places I might want to retire to.

I wanted to visit Portugal for a week late summer/early fall 2015.  I have several questions.
1. When is the cheapest time to fly?  Flights from the U.S. to Europe seem to be terribly expensive right now.
2. Where are good places, in Portugal, for expats to retire to?
3. Which airport should I fly into and how do I then travel to other destinations I might want to consider for retirement?  (How is the best way to travel within Portugal?)
4. Can you recommend forums to look for accommodations while visiting?
5. Is there a travel agent you can recommend to help me plan my trip?
6. Any other advice you might have for a first time visitor considering Portugal for retirement?

Thanks!  I look forward to participating with the group!

Hi Ramona:
I am a portuguese architect and I saw your message. I would like to help you but I need to know more about what you have in mind.

1. About flights you should check with Sata. It is an Portuguese branch of the Portuguese company TAP that works specially with portuguese emigrants from the azores who live in the USA - Boston. They usually have better prices.
2. There are very good places for expats in Portugal. It depens of what you are looking for.
3. There are 3 main aiports in the portuguese mainland Lisbon (which is a must if you don't know it), Porto and Faro (in the Algarve- the south part of the country - lot's of expats living there.
I would suggest to travel to Lisbon taht is the in center and from there you can travel everywhere. The best way is by car, because you can get to different places, out of the main villages.
4. There is plenty accomodation for tourist in Lisbon and all over the country. I can check a nice one for you. Please let me know what kind of thing you have in mind. City, beach, countryside, mountains, plains...Isolate house, flat
5. I'm no travel agent, but I'll be delighted to help you planing your trip. When I know better your choices I can recomend someone.
6. You must come to Portugal and see if you like it to live. Get prepared because everything is slower than what you are expecting.

Thank you Helena!  I think I would prefer to visit/live somewhere in a city or village that is walkable to shops and restaurants and would prefer a flat or a small house.  Weather-wise my preference is low humidity! 

I don't drive much, but it makes sense to rent a car.

I don't know how this site works, because I didn't even see your response until just now when I searched on Portugal to see what came up and found my post with your reply.

Ramona

We are living in the Algarve, from UK and South Africa.
Portugal is amazing this time of year with all the wild flowers blossoming everywhere. Things are coming alive as the tourists start making holiday trips. Winter is very quite.
The algarve is awash with ex pats, mainly German, Dutch and English.
I think this is a fantastic place to live, friendly people, not expensive, no nuclear power stations, great weather.

Good luck!

Somesh

Thanks Somesh.  As you mentioned, and from what I've been reading, it has the best weather.  I definitely want to check it out!

One week isn't really long enough.  But given that, I would focus on Lisboa/Cascais and Algarve.  As you live in DC, the former may be better for you as its more cosmopolitan with a lot of culture and "city" things to do.  Of course you'll also want to visit Algarve if you think that type of expat lifestyle might appeal to you.  Since 6 years is a long time away, if either of these areas speaks to you, you'll have plenty of time to return and explore further.   

No need for a travel agent, go to tripadvisor, booking.com etc  :-)

Hi
My website may be of interest  http://www.AllGoAlgarve.com    .You should visit for a month (I have December available) and get a proper "feel " for the region . If you like it in the Winter months then you will love it all year .I have a holiday home in Albufeira ,Algarve and rent it out when we are not there . I have lots of Winter visitors staying for a month or so to  find their perfect location, to buy .
If I can be of any assistance feel free to contact me direct .

Thank you Vedel.  Unfortunately I don't have that much vacation time (remember I work in the U.S.).  I will definitely keep this under consideration.  My biggest stumbling block right now is the cost of air fare!  I checked Sata Airlines mentioned in a previous post and the prices weren't much different.