Langkawi or Penang

Which is the better place to retire, Langkawi or Penang?

Penang would be better. There's more of culture, food, a city nearby if you need to go to, and beach...

Thank you for your information.  From what I have read on line Penang seems better to me too.  But what about the cost of living?  Is Penang much more expensive?

Bill, you have to explain your definition of retirement first as the islands are different for living.

Price differences, if any, dont matter because they are going up everyday.Does it matter if Penang is cheaper than Langkawi today if Penang has 30% inflation this year and becomes higher than Langkawi?

Over my 15 years here prices for things I measure are up 400-500%. Used to be Malaysia was really about 1/4 of US prices, now many US prices are cheaper than Malaysia. In terms of raw dollars, housing has had the greatest increases. Many things I dont buy anymore because they are too expensive now. And this is only the beginning.

Langkawi would be isolated, without full services and goods. On the other hand Penang itself is isolated from KL and has less, whether one lives on the island or mainland side.

When I came to Malaysia in 2000, I didnt know how to drive. I went to Langkawi, rented a Proton Saga for RM20 a day and taught myself. I have a too-long story to tell about the trip but to keep it simple, I was almost alone on the island. Every night I would drive to town, buy dirt-cheap liquor from duty-free and go to the beach where I could yell and scream and run around naked and drunk and nobody was the wiser. Now its expensive, crowded, developed and ruined. That time, I may have liked the idea of retirement there but not anymore.

I have lived in Penang for the past three years and pretty much hate it and therefore i personally cant imagine retiring to either place. Used to be that Penang had the best food in the country but not now. The old cooks are all dead and gone and the kids didnt want to continue the tradition or the business, so now the food is crappy. Prices are waaaay up, roads are jammed and full of un-fixed potholes,  services remain unmatured, medical is not the greatest,  there is no public transportation system like KL, list goes on and on.

You and I may not measure by the same yardstick. I know plenty of people who are happy as a clam in Penang, and I know others who didnt even last two years in Malaysia before they ran out of here. I cant say whats good for any one person, youd have to spend time in both places and decide for yourself.

Before I actually got an address in Malaysia i made 3 trips of 3 months each. And I wasted those trips by not first having a list of things and were truly important and then running them down one by one and thinking hard and objectively to reach a informed decision. I made decisions based on the wrong criteria and I sure paid for it later. So thats what im suggesting to you, make a firm list of what you are looking for and must have and if the list doesnt pan out, then stay out. If it does pan out, its possible either place could become your paradise.

Hello there,
                   My husband and I are in Malaysia researching where to live when we come permanently next August, from Australia. By then our MM2h visa will be through.

Had looked at Ipoh, interesting place more for a visit than to stay, as we are coastal people. Islanders really. Had set our hopes on Penang.to live. WOW what a disappointment. No life style for us with the 30 story buildings, crammed in on cars squashed against the mountain and the sea, which is too polluted to swim in and we are swimmers..
Penang good for a 4 day visit re R&R..

Langkawi,beautiful white beaches, interesting mountains.Full scope of restaurant.Good wet market..and for a change one can hop on a plane to K.L. or the world....We have been here for 10 days...Leave in 6 days.So its Langkawi till proven otherwise.

The top of the Island is less populated, and had the quieter beaches. lovely sand.BUT very little choice for long term rental in apartments. Houses, due to security risk are not being considered at this stage, unless some one can come up with a suggestion? And if any one can suggest an apartment, two bedrooms please post a suggestion

Yes the prices, like the world have all escalated, the supply and demand issue. I have no wish to be sitting in a rice field eating bullock,s  youghut. facilities one must have.We are coming with suitcases only, and are in our 70,s. Malaysia, is the stepping stone to Europe,, and Asia, well we are here already.
In Australia we speak about the tyranny of distance, for travelers, who are free-timers now, its a hinderance.

Tassie Tiger

Penang is full.of old whining gits (British expats lol) like Spain used to be in parts ;)

Langkawi used to be so nice but spoiled now by too much tourism. But wins in terms of beaches and cheap beer. Penang has more people and whining retired Brits if you like that sort of thing.

Did I mention penang is full of whining old British retiree's????

All in jest of course. I love old British expats especially when moaning about the good old days