School in another neighborhood?

Hi all, just new to the forum.

I'm going to move to Brussels in a month. My intention is to living in Ixelles, so I'm looking for schools there.
I know it isn't easy to get a vacancy, so my question is if we can't get a vacancy in an Ixelles school, can we try to
get one outside Ixelles (Brussels 1000, Etterbek, etc.)?

Also, what is the difference between Officiel and Communauté school?

You might have gathered Ixelles is one of the worst places to live and look for a school place!
You can apply to any schools at all.
There are 4 types of schools 1) commune controlled, 2) French Community direct controlled, 3) religious controlled eg Catholic / Jewish / Muslim 4) non religious controlled (think 10 of them in Brussels out of 300). There is little difference in daily life, only by primaire in the religious schools do you get one choice for the 2 hours obligatory religious instruction, in the other 3 types of schools, you get a choice of obligatory religious instruction.

tervurener wrote:

You might have gathered Ixelles is one of the worst places to live and look for a school place!

All people I ask don't speak bad about Ixelles. Why is it the one of the worst places for living? Please advise, because I don't know Brussels at all.

Ixelles isn't the worst place to live, where did you read that?
Ixelles however is a very tricky place to find school places because of population growth. There simply are not enough places for the children living there, so if you are looking now, when schools have already had most of their enrolment periods, you are making your school search as hard as it can be.

Living without looking for a school place in Ixelles is absolutely fine, looking for a school place is right now a nightmare. It's just the combination of the two which makes it the worst place, not the place itself!

tervurener wrote:

Living without looking for a school place in Ixelles is absolutely fine, looking for a school place is right now a nightmare. It's just the combination of the two which makes it the worst place, not the place itself!

Ah, I misunderstood you  :unsure
Why?, because it is almost impossible to get a vacancy there? or because it almost impossible to get a vacancy in a good school?, please advise.

A bit of both. Yes you'll find a few Ixelles schools with spaces a bit more easily but you might not want the places.

Thanks!. Then what about Evere, Woulwe Saint Lambert/Saint Pierre communes?, are they better for what I'm looking for?.

My daugther is just 7 so my intention is looking for a French language school that has reinforcement for non french speaking students, so she is able to start 2nd primary next year.

Hello eyp,
Why are you not doing like a lot of people by relocating in Wallonia? Like that except the fact that you will have to take the train or your car each day to go to work, you will avoid a lot of problems concerning Brussels life...

Where is work?
Evere is also bad for school places.
WSP and WSL much better but only if convenient for work.

tervurener wrote:

Where is work?
Evere is also bad for school places.
WSP and WSL much better but only if convenient for work.

Work is close to Schuman

The easiest place to find school places is Watermael-Boitsfort and the north of this commune is on the metro line 5 direct to Schuman. Then Auderghem, WSL and WSP. Etterbeek. South area of Schaerbeek would be good too. I would NOT choose Ixelles, poor connections to Schuman area.

There is this new website, however not 100% accurate, I have tried it for my area, there are schools I know with places with no entries on it, so it seems only certain schools have revealed their vacancies so far.

http://www.placesecolesmaternellesetprimaires.cfwb.be/

I am assuming this is a 2008 born child? If so, you will need a P2 place. Here are vacancies.

Résultats de recherche
Réseau    Nom de l'établissement    Adresse de l'implantation    Téléphone    Dispo.
Subventionné communal    Ecole Parc Schuman    Clos des Bouleaux, 15 1200 BRUXELLES    02-761 76 60   
Libre confessionnel    Ecole fondamentale libre Providence    Rue des Déportés, 38-40 1200 BRUXELLES    02-771 06 82   
Subventionné communal    Ecole primaire communale Joli-Bois    Val des Epinettes, 3 1150 BRUXELLES    02-773 18 01   
Subventionné communal    Ecole communale du Chant d'Oiseau    Avenue des Eperviers, 62 1150 BRUXELLES    02-773 06 81   
Subventionné communal    Ecole communale Les Cèdres    Rue du Gruyer, 8 1170 BRUXELLES    02-672 18 33   
Subventionné communal    Ecole primaire communale du Karrenberg    Rue François Ruytinx, 31 1170 BRUXELLES    02-672 72 38   
Libre confessionnel    Institut de l'Assomption - Ecole fondamentale    Avenue des Archiducs, 52 1170 BRUXELLES    02-673 04 42   
Subventionné communal    Ecole primaire des Eburons    Rue des Eburons, 46 1000 BRUXELLES    02-286 11 00   
Subventionné communal    Complexe scolaire La Farandole & Les Marronniers    Chaussée Saint-Pierre, 193 1040 ETTERBEEK    02-734 47 86   
Subventionné communal    Ecole communale fondamentale Claire Joie    Rue Beckers, 129 1040 ETTERBEEK    02-647 25 81

Thanks a lot tervurener, that's a very good point to start my search for a vacancy.

Another questions.

What is a COCOF (Reseau) school?

Also, 'Avec immersion' does mean reinforcement of french for foreigners students? or is it possible that have reinforcement but not immersion?

That list was for 2014-15 year sorry, need to search 2015-16

COCOF = Commision Communaute Francaise, very very few schools, they are special schools.

Immersion is immersion in DUTCH.

All schools with a certain percentage of non francophones get extra funding, it is done yearly, on a school by school basis. If you choose a school with high expat numbers, you can expect maybe 2 hours a week extra reinforcement in French.

http://www.placesecolesmaternellesetpri … 5a0778803d