Moving to Belize within the next two years

Greetings,

I am Rick Nau. My wife Debby and I are planning on moving to Belize within the next two years. I am a military veteran with a pension and will be retiring from the State soon. Our finances should lend to allowing us to live good in Belize. We have been there and love the people and the fact that it is a fairly new independent country. We want to find a place south of Placencia on the beach. My goal is to have a small inexpensive resort with up to four small bungalow's. I want to provide a quiet, pristine environment that is affordable to people with very modest means. I look forward to learning more about Belize and what to expect when we relocate.

Hi Rick
Good Morning
When you say South of Placentia  are you talking about the coastal line ?or Inland. There are no real developments or roads south op Placentia until you reach Punta Gorda. Punta Negro (Coastal) South of Placentia may a future "Placentia" some day. But there is no road to get there. There are a lot of Resorts and developments inland south of Placentia.
North of Placentia , Sittee River area and Hopkin are being developed fast.  South Belize is also claimed as Maya Land  by Maya People . Needs to be careful before buying land.
Hope this helps

Thank you for the information & I surely do appreciate it. We are looking primarily on the coast. We are also looking at possibility of living on an island. Off grid is okay with us. We really do not want to be part of a major development. We really want to do our own thing. We have been advised to use an attorney that is experienced in real estate in Belize when we decide to purchase. I hadn't heard that there was an issue with the Maya claims on land. I surely do not want to ruffle any feathers. We are going to be guests and know all too well what it is like when people come to your country and act like they own the place. We just want to enjoy the slower pace, learn about the history and culture and do what we can to support the Belizean people.

Hi Rick Nau
I just saw your last posting. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.  One need to be more cautious than in US when buying property, Like deciding if the land could be a swamp in rainy season,who really owns the property,what may be the right price at the location etc etc.My e mail address is [email protected].

Hi Rick,
Spiceman is a wealth of information, and has been in Belize for a while. His advice is valuable.
As someone who recently purchased property property in Belize, I would suggest you 1) use a reputable and competent real estate agent; 2) enlist a licensed attorney in Belize for the closing; 3) personally look at any piece of property you are interested in purchasing; 4) consider where you are in Belize in  terms of power, water, transportation, access to amenities and medical care, etc., and 5) have fun exploring and finding your perfect property! Good luck to you in your search, and hope to see you in Belize!

BTW Rick - I think you have the right attitude and frame of mind to make it in Belize without any problems. Good Luck!

It only took me 6 months to finally reply...Thank you Karenjoe & Spiceman! I appreciate it. We hope to make it there in the spring. We plan to stay for a month while we check things out. We have pretty much ruled out living on an island. I have seen a couple properties listed for a lot just south of Punta Gorda right on the beach. Someone told me not to go there because it is too close to Guatamala.

we enjoyed Hopkins which is a nice little village. would recommend that area.
we're going back this Feb 2016