Moving to Turkey

Hi everybody, new to this site and would just like a little information to help me follow my dream of moving to Turkey. I recently took a TEFL course in teaching english, I am also teaching myself Turkish every free moment I have, and would realy love to follow my dream of moving to this beautiful country, I have quiet a number of turkish friends and would love to see them on a full time basis instead of 3-4 times a year for short holidays..... So if you can give me any advice on how to obtain a job, accommodation etc. I would be truly grateful. Look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Welcome to Expat-blog Cherub20! :)

Check out Turkey classifieds! You could even post an advert there under the categories : Job and Accommodation.

All the best!

Regards,
Sheetul

Hi Cherub

From what I've heard from other people (we live in Fethiye), Istanbul, Izmir, Ankara, Antalya might be the best places to look for TEFL work as they have a lot of larger private language schools that may be able to arrange your work permit. Good luck. :)

Well you seem like a planner, and I usually operate under, "yeah, it'll probably work out okay," but my advice is to just save up enough to live on for a few months, rent an apartment remotely, and come. Don't stress about learning the language too well b/c believe me, no matter how many foreign language classes you take, when you're talking to a native they will speak so fast you won't know what the heck they're saying. ESOL certification is nice but not necessary. Just come. It'll work out.

Istanbul is a fun place and plenty of good food.

I think the best city you should move is Istanbul. ( if you are coming from a small city you can go for Izmir or Antalya)  About Turkish I agree with the friend above, no matter how hard you study Turkish, You will have to come here and interact with the people and will get used to it. For example, when I went to US with an advanced level English  and it took me three months to be able to understand daily language. So it would be smart to have your first 3 or 4 months expense in your pocket, roughly that would be around $3000 to be safe. You will have lots of job opportunity in language schools, and private tutoring would be a nice option with a potential accommodation. Good Luck..:)