Renewing passport back home and entering on old residence card

Hello,

Due to my country of origin, renewing my passport in the embassy in Vietnam is a tedious and costly process. As I will be going home on holidays I can renew my passport easily at home but will have the number on the passport change and won't match the temporary residence card I have.

My question then is: has anyone flown back into Vietnam with an old passport and temporary residence card, holding a new passport. Will they let me in? Should I apply for a tourist Visa, and then get the TRC changed to match my new passport? Or should it be a "logical and straight forwards" process ?

Thanks in advance

"Logical and straight forward' game doesn't apply in VN offices most of times.  :)
I think you should enter with a tourist visa and then replace your TRC by showing and entering the new PP details.

Im wondering why they gave you a TRC that lasts longer than your passport.

TRC has the same dates as passport. Unfortunately to renew passport in Vietnam i have to go twice to Hanoi and wait around 2 months for it to be ready. Therefore doing it back home only takes 30 minutes and is much cheaper. Still have it valid for another 8 months, but if when travelling around, some countries have the 6-month out of date limit.

I asked at HCMC airport the other day when leaving for Singapore but although one police said "yes, yes; no problem" I am absolutely convinced he had no clue what I was talking about".

If anyone has come back into Vietnam with a new passport and TRC it would be great to know.

I have read where people have been accepted with having the old and new passport when they arrive back in Viet Nam and also heard of them not accepting it. As usual in Viet Nam there is no standard use of the law. As mentioned above, get a tourist visa, then sort out your TRC when you get back here,maybe its the best option.

Thanks for the info, will get a tourist visa and not risk it!!

poncho87 wrote:

TRC has the same dates as passport. Unfortunately to renew passport in Vietnam i have to go twice to Hanoi and wait around 2 months for it to be ready. Therefore doing it back home only takes 30 minutes and is much cheaper. Still have it valid for another 8 months, but if when travelling around, some countries have the 6-month out of date limit.

I asked at HCMC airport the other day when leaving for Singapore but although one police said "yes, yes; no problem" I am absolutely convinced he had no clue what I was talking about".

If anyone has come back into Vietnam with a new passport and TRC it would be great to know.

Hi

Many of my clients were coming back to the country with a new passport just like you. They were allowed to enter, the TRC will be cut at a corner to mark that it is no longer valid from now on (but you should keep it for further use) . And they will give you 30 days residence to make a new TRC.

Just for your choice. Hope it help.

Thanks for the info!! Still decided if I should or not risk it.