Tell me what you know! Moving to Izmir from USA

This has all been an interesting ride so far. I married my Turkish husband September of 2013 and we have been waiting to bring him to the USA since then(he's been in Turkey since then). As of last night, I said screw it! Why not I just move there? What's holding me back? Oh, right....the lack of college degree and the thought that we would struggle horribly. So this is where all of you great people come in....Is it worth it? Should I wait and get a degree then move? Are jobs for native English speakers abundant there? I've done all the research on prices of places to live and things that we would need to survive. He doesn't make that much, which i don't care about, but I don't want to put the pressure on him to provide for both of us until I find a job. Are there sites that I could apply for jobs before I move there? I am torn. Any advice and any words of wisdom will be gratefully appreciated.

I don't know if I can really help on this topic, although I'm also from the US and moved here this past December to be with my boyfriend.

If you are wanting to reside in the US, you really should stick to that because moving to Turkey, just to move back and then try all over again for him to live with you in the US will exhaust even more time and money. With that being said, it really comes down to what you see yourself doing in life. Both countries are different in what they have to offer, both have negatives and positives, so be careful when making a huge decision on a whim.

As far as a college degree? Doesn't matter probably unless you find a place even willing to pay for a work permit. (I THINK you can pay for you own, but to my understanding a company has to apply for it). It's not legal for us to work here, and Turkey really does its best to prevent foreigners from taking up any jobs. You could find illegal work, like "teaching English", but that comes with huge risks (fines and deportation), and honestly, you're not going to want to hold conversation classes with low hours and pay for years of your life, unless you do, then go for it. If you're fluent in Turkish along with being a native English speaker, there could be more out there, but I really don't know.

Now if you're aiming to get Turkish citizenship, yea, not having a degree won't look good most likely for finding a job. Everyone is going to school here, and jobs put people on minimum pay grade if they don't have a degree. It's pretty ridiculous, but like I said...positives and negatives.

I suggest if you do come here, do it with a lot of money saved- conversion rates are high right now and would give you plenty to sit comfortably on for a few months.

I personally think you'd waste time and money getting a degree just to come here, spend that time getting your husband over in the US with you (if he hasn't done military service, he needs to get that out of the way as well). Jobs are not abundant here, and even for Turkish citizens there is a lack of variety as opposed to the US.

I'm not trying to sway you in any direction, because there's no way to know without experiencing it for yourself. I came here on a whim as well, and the biggest issue to me is the fact that I have NO idea how I will find work, but I don't have any regrets or anything about moving here. I would talk with your husband thoroughly about this, and figure out (and compromise) where is the best place for you two to live.

I hope something here helps, and if you have any other questions, ask! ^_^

Wow. That was a lot. Thank you for the response. Although, this isn't a whim. I want him to come here first to experience life in America. He's never been outside of Turkey. We own two homes in Turkey and plan on buying two more. There will be income from those places when rented, but I've always been happiest when I'm actually working. As for illegal, I can teach English with a degree at most schools. And my husband has never said tutoring is illegal. If I am wrong, please show me a site that says otherwise. I haven't found anything.

jkchetinkaya wrote:

As of last night, I said screw it! Why not I just move there?

This seemed like moving on a whim to me...

jkchetinkaya wrote:

I want him to come here first to experience life in America.

I know it wouldn't be the same as truly living there, but why not have him get a visa and just visit the US for a while just so he can see it? (if this messes with the immigration process then disregard, because I have no clue about that process)

jkchetinkaya wrote:

I can teach English with a degree at most schools. And my husband has never said tutoring is illegal. If I am wrong, please show me a site that says otherwise.

Well, certified ACTUAL teaching is different, but you'll still need a working permit or it's illegal. You can find many "teaching" jobs, which are actually conversation classes or the callan method, no experience or certification needed. They just want native speakers, and again, it's illegal unless you get a working permit, which they are not going to give you.