Taking a pet parrot from Ecuador to the U.S.

Before I go out and fall in love with a wonderful bird, I`d like to know if anyone knows the process for taking it back with me to the States?  The information I found on the U.S. government web site was formal and vague.  I understand that no one can quote the procedure for every species or down to the penny, but any help would be appreciated.

I don't intend to offend you personally, but birds are not meant to live in cages, si? They are beautiful creatures to be admired, for sure.  I know a lot of paperwork is required to transport pets, but birds are in yet another category requiring permits by governmental entities in both countries.

Sheenie wrote:

Before I go out and fall in love with a wonderful bird, I`d like to know if anyone knows the process for taking it back with me to the States?  The information I found on the U.S. government web site was formal and vague.  I understand that no one can quote the procedure for every species or down to the penny, but any help would be appreciated.

A belated reply, sorry - this information here does appear to be formal, but also pretty specific about the steps and procedures necessary.  A 30-day quarantine at the owner's expense is required:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/ap … s_pet_bird

In case the link gets garbled, search for 'pet bird entry to US' and click on the link for non- US origin pet birds.

I'd say, wait until you get to the US to get a parrot, and then get one from a rescue.  There are so many wonderful birds in rescues that need homes.  We belong to a rescue and have 8 parrots, 7 of them either rehomed or rescued.  They are wonderful.

Hi Sheenie,

Further to everything that has been posted here, please be aware that there is a serious problem in all South American countries of birds (and many other wild animals) being illegally taken from their natual habitats and being passed off as legal for sale as domestic pets. In the case of birds, leg bands and certificates are often counterfeited.

If you are thinking about taking a bird that you've acquired in any South American country back to the United States then you had best make absolutely certain that the documentation of the bird's origin is genuine and that the band is not fake. This would result in immediate loss of the bird upon arrival in the USA. Given the high price of some exotic birds this would mean a significant financial loss, not to mention that the bird would likely be sacrificed.

I agree wholeheartedly with Birdmama, if you're planning on going back to the USA anyway, much better to wait and acquire your pet there.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Sorry to be an animal rights activist, but birds do not belong in cages and yes, the OP who wrote about many in need of adoption back home would be your best and most compassionate option.
P.S.

PS...I couldn't agree with you more, but that is not reality.  There are thousands upon thousands of beautiful parrots that have been both bred and smuggled for the pet trade.  The most tragic, I believe, are the parrots in the wild that are trapped and captured by poachers and smuggled out of Latin America and other countries.  Only 10% of these wild caught birds survive!  Tragic!  The US has banned the importation of wild caught birds since 1992.  However, that has not stopped smuggling.  These poor creatures are used to being free and it breaks my heart.  I belong to a parrot rescue.  There are so many birds that are turned into rescues and are available for adoption for many reasons, but I believe that the main reason is that people make impulsive and irresponsible decisions without foreknowledge of what they are getting into.  They have either no, or very little, knowledge about birds and their care.  They impulsively buy a bird without knowing what they're getting into and ignorant of how long they can live.  Parrots are highly intelligent (rated the highest intelligence of all animals), but they are messy and can be very loud.  Not all are loud.  They are not dirty, which some people confuse with messy.  They are extremely clean, grooming their feathers almost constantly and love to bathe.  However, they throw their food all over the place, which in nature, is ok, because what lands on the forest floor is food for other animals.  In one's home it's a different matter.  If their cages are dirty, that's the human's fault.  They don't choose to live in filth.  I clean my bids cages twice a day and their play stands at least once a day, and change their water multiple times a day.  They are loving and affectionate and each has their own unique personality, something most people don't know if they've never had a bird.  Birds that learn to talk learn the meanings of words and know what they are saying.  Others may not talk, but understand what you are saying to them.  My birds, are not cage birds, as many of my friends' birds aren't either.  They are only kept in their cages at night, which the birds prefer because they feel safe there, or when we are not home, for their own protection.  The rest of the day, they are out and free to roam about and get lots of loving attention.  This is the best we can do for all these magnificent creatures that are born and bred into the pet trade.  My bird club/rescue also puts on many bird shows during the year for many different groups to educate the public about the needs and care of birds.

I would wait.  We brought our parrot born in Florida and now we can't find an airline to take him back home.

Have you tried Delta or United? I'm sorry but I can't remember which one of those two will allow a bird in the cabin under your seat.  It's one or the other, at least it was when I checked a couple of months ago. I wish you the best!

Most of the American airlines have changed their pet transport policies. It's best to google the name of the airline and "pet policies." I've lived in many countries and brought pets back from overseas to the US but relied on KLM or Lufthansa, both pet friendly with trained personnel. Unfortunately, none of the US personnel are trained. You may now be required to transport your pet via CARGO STATUS or even FREIGHT STATUS  which is a) much more costly, b) not very safe, and c) meanwhile, they are all in the same holding area, regardless of status. You will need to contact each airline carrier to determine specific guidelines. I never transported a bird but cats. I do know you are required to present papers documenting proper immunizations. Please feel free to PM me with specific questions.
Regards,
PS
P.S. Also, check out expresspets.com for info on guidelines, printouts of dox (a gratis), and airline numbers. Good luck.

Hello,
After googling Delta's international pet policies, I found the below link on importation of pets (birds) into the U.S. I haven't lived in Ecuador so I'm not familiar with their policies on exporting birds but based on past experience, each country has its own rules and regulations (whether it is import or export).  APHIS and the CDC have imposed stricter regs for importation due to the Avian flu and other potential infectious diseases.  Hope the following helps:

http://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing … birds.html

As mentioned previously, the TSA will be imposing new regulations in 2016 regarding methods of pet transport (e.g., no longer "excess baggage" status, more "in cabin" restrictions and most airlines requiring that pets fly as "CARGO" status -- much costlier but not necessarily safer).
Regards,
PS

We know Delta and American won't.  We are trying to get in touch with Lan cargo.  We have all the documentation for him, but the Airlines are saying no birds.

Check on United.  I think they  allow birds.

I would not use United. Their personnel (mostly subcontracted) are NOT trained to handle pets, like most of the airlines in the U.S. There have been many sad stories.  I wonder why this new restriction on birds has been imposed. The most significant factor would be to determine if you can keep your pet under your seat vs. transport via cargo.
The following link provides information effective Jan. 1, 2016 with LAN's pet policies update which indicates that they may no longer be in the cabin unless the pet is for special needs services. They must fly CARGO status but cost incurred is based on excess baggage fees. 
It also seems that you would need to contact APHIS or CDC in the U.S. to determine if your pet is allowed to ENTER the U.S. There are regulations on both ends, as indicated above. Good luck!

http://www.airline-pet-policies.com/lan-pet-policy.php

Regards,
PS