Any King Saud Uni / Obeikan Teacher's on here???

Hi Guys,

I did have a good search through the threads before starting a new one off. Apologies if I've missed something.

I guess there's going to be quite a few new Teachers arriving in the next month, and some that have just arrived.

I thought it might be helpful to share any experiences about the KSU Project / Saudi for other newbie teachers to the Kingdom.

Also since we have to arrange our own accomodation any advice / suggestions regarding this.

I'm not currently in Saudi, still waiting on my visa but finger's X'd I'll be over there in the next month!

Cheers

Mailman13

Welcome to the Kingdom, Mailman13.

Wow, you're lucky to teach there, I've always heard from my friends studying there about the English teachers in the university, they do have the sense of humor "Most of them". Anyway, I think you'll be teaching the students of preparatory, and God help you, most of them don't even know what English is. lol, but seriously, most of them pass the first with good grades in English.

Good luck, Mailman13.

Ramon,

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but from what I've heard--unless they've really cleaned up their act in a short period of time--the Bell-Obeikan project has been a disaster from day 1.

My colleague worked there year before last and tells horror stories about the place; she's in touch with people who are still there and it seems nothing improved last year (ie. no teacher support, no materials--not even a working photocopier--standards and requirements always changing .. etc. etc. etc.). 

But rather than discuss that here, I suggest you go to this LINK, a forum that's specifically for ESL teachers in Saudi.

And BEST of luck.  Really :)

What else is new here, Allie? Only a few organizations are well planned and professionally managed. Even they suffer the occasional hiccups from time to time. Nothing will be perfect. Not anywhere.

you aint been to accrington, my son ;)

Ah, well, Lancashire, that explains it. Say no more.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Englishmen are coming, the Englishmen are coming....

Hell Yeah!!! We're gonna bring a touch of class to proceedings my friends ;)

Whatever happened to the Italians?:huh:

they are all probably knotted up in their spaghetti?

One pair of Italians went to Jeddah for the Eid. No doubt we'll see them blogging soon. :D

Lets hope they return in one Pizz?

the Bell-Obeikan project has been a disaster from day 1

As a very experienced instructor, who has watched that fiasco from afar and up close, I can easily say I would never, ever work for Bell/Obeikan.  What a nightmare of an organization.

I was hired last year to be the director of a Laureate University program in partnership with them...and they were, without question, unable to process anything professionally.

I feel sorry for you mm13 that you are in this one, but one of the advantages to being in the Kingdom is that it makes finding another teaching job there much, much easier than if you were out of the country.

Good luck...hope you have incredible patience.

dont worry mailman, i'll look after you, son.

its just a shame that youre gonna be twice as frustrated as we were both anticipating!

And as for italians, why would you bother with such uncouth, boorish types when the house of lancaster will bring you all the style and sophistication you need?? (as opposed to those barbarian cavemen from yorkshire)

There are many similar disaster projects running for decades in the locality. Nothing new. They just keep on running with the resources within suffering and maybe, even, enjoying the ride. Once inside, its better to make the best of what you have on offer or make up your mind to clear out immediately. Its simply a matter of choice based on your requirements and goals/objectives.

Ive seen many suffering through similar states, sadly. I have been fortunate not to have been pushed into he deep end of any of these mickey mouse organizations so far. Now that I am on my own private consulting career I do not see myself getting into such a twisted mess in the future, whatsoever.

As for Italians, Saq, am really not sure how they could be a part of the EU being the street kid in Europe?

Saq-81 wrote:

And as for italians, why would you bother with such uncouth, boorish types

EXCUSE ME (!!!!!!!!!) :dumbom:

Some of us love Italians!!!!!! (I expect sparrow to join in here lol)

Allie, should that have been, EXCUSEE...?

Alliecat wrote:
Saq-81 wrote:

And as for italians, why would you bother with such uncouth, boorish types

EXCUSE ME (!!!!!!!!!) :dumbom:

Some of us love Italians!!!!!! (I expect sparrow to join in here lol)

well...theres no accounting for some people's taste!

....as bad as Pasta?

I make a mean pasta curry. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

meaner than the mafia?

ITALIANS - the book says they make good lovers.... and pasta.

u r judging the book by its cover?

musicman wrote:

u r judging the book by its cover?

In general, Italian covers look pretty damned good ;)

looks can be rather deceptive these days with so many designer clones available....?

Some of these saudis make good eye candy. Allie have you seen the eye lashes on these dudes, its sinful on a man. Real Jamal lashes.

Sparrow wrote:

Some of these saudis make good eye candy. Allie have you seen the eye lashes on these dudes, its sinful on a man. Real Jamal lashes.

OMG yes!  One guy I know--well, his lashes are so long and thick they'd make a camel envious!  And you're right about some of the lads--there's some hotties where I work.

the things that felines notice, phew!