Planning on moving to Nigeria

Hi

I am planning to move to Nigeria in June to work for a financial services company. The contract is for 5 years. Excited yet a bit uneasy. I am desperate to get some views on the following;
Medical Aid and how it works
Medical facilities
Hang out places
Do's and Dont's
Safety
Nightlife
Accommodation
The list goes on!!!

Would appreciate some comments.

Thanks

Hi Sihle:

For specificity, it would be great to know which city in Nigeria that you are moving to.  However, I'll provide some general responses. I do hope that you find the information helpful.

Azu

I am planning to move to Nigeria in June to work for a financial services company. The contract is for 5 years. Excited yet a bit uneasy. I am desperate to get some views on the following;
Medical Aid and how it works - Here the medical system is a combination of private clinics/hospitals and government-owned and operated hospitals.  While one may come across highly specialized physicians, the healthcare system has deteriorated significantly.  My recommendation would be to ask around and identify a clinic/hospital that offers the best care, as a first step response to a medical crisis.  Next, you may want to procure medivac services, for your removal to either your country of origin or another location.  If it is the latter, then you may also want to procure expat medical insurance.
Medical facilities - Please see previous response.
Hang out places - Depending on what city you reside, hang-out places tend to run from one extreme to the other. If you live in Lagos, you will have access to a wealth of hang-out places; Abuja, slightly less so; and other cities, much less so, compared to Abuja and Lagos.
Do's and Dont's - In terms of cultural "dos and don'ts," Nigerians tend to be very laid back folks.  However, in daily existence, Nigerians would be said to be quite aggressive - cutting in front of you in queues, creating multiple lanes in traffic, speaking loudly, etc.
Safety  - Safety is a function of where you live and the political/economic climate.  For instance, it is currently unsafe to reside in the North East part of the country, because of Boko Haram activities.  Previously, before the amnesty, it was quite challenging to reside in the Niger Delta region, due to kidnappings.  With the conclusion of the elections, related violence should diminish. In general, outside of the preceding, it is relatively safe, with one's practice of prudent security practices that would be expected anywhere else in the world.
Nightlife - Depends on the city.  Lagos has a very vibrant nightlife; Abuja slightly less so; other cities, comparatively, less so.
Accommodation - Housing in Abuja and Lagos tend to be very expensive and more so in the highbrow areas.  Landlords, typically, require two years of advance rent payment.  You do get a host of options, in terms of housing styles and configuration. 
The list goes on!!!

Would appreciate some comments.

Thanks Azuka.

I am planning on moving to Lagos. The office is in Lagos Island.

Ur Welcome to the great city!!!!

Welcome to Lagos