Moving to Rio - private english speaking schools in Barra?

Hi
My family and I are almost certainly moving to Rio and I was wondering if someone could give me some facts about the schools in Barra. I have 2 boys 10 and 8. I am looking for a private English speaking school. How many are there in that area?  Do most expats with children live in apartments or houses? Are there many gated communities.

We are looking to move in August in time for school starting.
Thanks for any help
Pippa

Hi there - did you get a reply to your questions on the forum. We're Swedish family in a similar situation.

Alox

Mapple bear ( canadian) , British school, american school and Swiss school . All good schools. It depends on your budget either to live in a house or an apartment.
Welcome to Rio de Janeiro
Best regards Alessandra Vasquez Copacabana Beachfront Penthouse

Maple Bear has an excellent reputation. Being a Canadian who has been a teacher for nearly 29 years now, I may be a bit biased, but they really are top notch.

http://maplebear.com.br/barradatijuca

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

As far as accommodation....
Most well off Brazilians live in condominium apartment blocks , which are in gated communities ...
Almost all upper middle class Brazilians I speak to think it's crazy to live in a house on the street as it's too dangerous....so they say.
There are lots of giant complexes of huge apartment condominiums in Barra as well as many shopping malls.....it's a flat modern area flanked by some hills and there is a lot of construction everywhere.
Looks very much like modern USA suburbs with endless shopping blocks and gated communities and dotted with bakeries and businesses ...it's huge and can take long to get around by bus, depending on where you are it can take an hour and two buses to get to the beaches in Barra , I stayed on the outskirts of Barra for a week and a I would say a car is advisable here depending on where you are going to be located. It's a very different lifestyle to the Copacabana /Ipanema area.