Legal Capacity for Marriage in the Philippines

Hello! I'm Ashie, a Filipina. My fiancé and I are planning on getting married here in the Philippines. He's a Belgian citizen. Our date of marriage will be on the 15th July 2015. I would just like to ask, about what is the requirements needed for us to get his legal capacity here in the Philippines and I was just wondering if there are any instances that the application would be denied also a friend said that I need to have my birth certificate authenticated by the DFA, is that true? I'm seriously stressing out over this! Please help. Thank you. :)

Hi Ashie,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I moved your topic on the Philippines forum for a better visibility.

All the best,
Christine

Hi ashie, call belgium embassy and schedule for interview. Bring all necessary documents of your fiancee, theres no reason for being denied unless you didnt complete all the requirements. No need to go dfa to authenticate your birth certificate. Go to NSO and get a copy of your authenticated birth certificate and CENOMAR. Are you going to get married in catholic church? Or just christian wedding?

Hello Ashie! If both of you are not in the Philippines, there are actually consulting firms who can deal with this problem. If you are interested in getting fiance visa services in the Philippines, check this website and submit your inquiry via email or via phone. visasphilippines.com

Ashie17 wrote:

Hello! I'm Ashie, a Filipina. My fiancé and I are planning on getting married here in the Philippines.
He's a Belgian citizen.
Our date of marriage will be on the 15th July 2015.
I would just like to ask, about what is the requirements needed for us to get his legal capacity here in the Philippines

If you haven't done so yet, go to Belgium Embassy website and check what is exactly needed :  http://www.diplomatie.be/Manila/default … amp;mnu=28

Basically:

The Philippine Government requires all foreigners to provide a "Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" from his/her embassy before filing for a marriage license.
This is normally called a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) or Certificate of Legal Capacity, and is obtained at interview from the Foreigners Embassy.

Hi Ashley,

I'm a NZer, I married in the Philippines last Oct. I have all the info you need. Please dont stress out, but there are lots of things to do. I can give you a list of everything. both you and your B/F need to make a list and get everything you need. Lots of paper work. But Love is really worth it.
One important very Old rule in the Philippines, is that to have a bonifide marriage in the Philippines, both parties need to belong to a church, and go to Church regulary. It is a very Old Rule. Then you must Marry in a Church. I believe that this rule has not be upgraded to suite our modern times.  Best of Luck.
If you wish, I can get the list for you.
cheers

KiwiSam wrote:

One important very Old rule in the Philippines, is that to have a bonifide marriage in the Philippines, both parties need to belong to a church, and go to Church regulary. It is a very Old Rule. Then you must Marry in a Church. I believe that this rule has not be upgraded to suite our modern times.  Best of Luck.
If you wish, I can get the list for you.
cheers

You mention the rules for a "bonifide marriage"...
bonifide = authentic, genuine, real

However, it is NOT essential to be churchgoers or have a church marriage to have a bonafide marriage in the Philippines.

Non Church goers ARE allowed to get married, and not in a church,  Look at : http://web0.psa.gov.ph/civilregistratio … -procedure which states:

What is Marriage?
'Marriage' is defined as a special contract of permanent union between a man and a woman entered into in accordance with law for the establishment of conjugal and family life. It is the foundation of the family and an inviolable social institution whose nature, consequences, and incidence are governed by law and not subject to stipulation, except that marriage settlements may fix the property relations during the marriage within the limits provided in the Family Code of the Philippines.'

No mention of religion, other than a reference to those of the Muslim faith who are exempt from getting a marriage licence...
(What marriages are exempted from Marriage License?
Marriage that was solemnized in accordance with Executive Order No. 209, Marriage that was solemnized in accordance with P.D. 1083, or Code of Muslim Personal Laws.)

We have married in denmark. Filipina wife and austrian husband. She needed her birth certificate and her cenomar authentificated by the dfa and then by the embassy of denmark. We did not marry in phils coz it is nearly impossible. You need the same papers as you would marry in germany (where i live) to get the aproval of the german embassy. In phils they ask this approoval. Because belgium is in the european union it might be the same. Your future husband should ask what he would need to marry you in his country. Have luck abd dont give up because if the paperwork !

Hi ashley

Im filipina also married to swedish i just married last sept 2014  only my requirements is birth certificate and cenomar only from nso

Hi gud evening I'm Rubylyn Can I have also ur copy of requirements tnx

Hi good day! I would like to ask if what are the requirements of getting a legal capacity cert? I'm from Cebu & will be marrying a swedish guy this coming Nov. I would really appreciate your reply. Thank you :)

Not true, I just got married in front of a judge and my wife is Catholic, and I am Protestant. They never asked me anything about church attendance.

We got married in the Philippines, we had to get a proposed marriage certificate at the city hall office before we married and had to wait 10 days for any objection. After the 10 days we married in a community centre with a Pastor and 50 guests. I have been told that many marriages are not legal or scammed if you go directly to a judge or marriage celebrate. My first Filipino g/f tried this on me with a Judge who was a friend of her mother. I saw the light and was correct. She was a dating scammer and a fraud. I took her through the court system and won. I have since discovered that 4 of my now friends have also been taken for the ride. I have been lucky to have a Christian Filipino wife very sincere. Good Luck all. Please be careful. I love the Philippines.

Hello.. I would like to ask were all the documents to get the legal capacity of marriage. My fiancé is a swedish. Is is possible to get in the Consulate office of Sweden in Manila? Or He will apply in Norway? Were confuse. Hoping for your reply . Thank u very much Buena

Hello anig where did your husband process all the papers to get the legal capacity of marriage and does he go in Consulate of sweden in Manila? Thank u for your reply

Hello,
We went to the City Hall in Antipolo City. You have to take birth certificates, passports, etc..
Please google the requirements you need to take. There are heaps of things you need to take with you and all have to be in Tripicate and also take the original forms. Google for the list of requirements. follow the instructions. Be very aware that you have everything. That will save you going back again. Best of Luck.

Getting married seems more complicated than I thought. I am Swedish and no longer a member of the Swedish lutheran church. I'd rather characterize me as a agnostic humanist believing in peoples ambitions to be and do good and respect all believes. Of course I can become a member of any church if that is what is needed, but I'd prefer the Lutheran church instead of the catholic that my pinay fiancee visits almost every sunday.

If needed I can start visiting a church regularly and do notes...

I also have an idea of getting married in a babtist church (Lutheran?) in Dumaguete with an ambitious idea regarding the hymns being sung after the ring ceremony and especially the final with the Swedish hymn "How great thou art" ("O store Gud" in Swedish), sung/performed in three versions - swedish/english/tagalog with dance performance, rock band and choir support (...)

First verse performed in a traditional instrumental Swedish version with church organ, second verse played by a local rock or blues band and sung in English with support from a choir and third verse sung in tagalog with a dancing choir... Also the second verse will be supported by a hawaiian hula-dancing free dance female dancer.

Finally out march to  Amazing grace...

Is this possible? Mixing ecumenically and musically to a composition that will lift the roof of the babtize cathedral in Dumaguete...

I am currently working with the music including the service from a babtize pastor in Batangas who sings How great thou art in tagalog, published on youtube.

Is there a marriage consultant in Phils that I should ask for planning help? The marriage is planned to october 2016...

up to you, but involve your future wife in that decision too, it takes 2 to marry, so I believe both should make a choice, cheers

She is involved, but Ithink she relies on my planning...
Her mother will be the project leader and her dad the house production leader, being a carpenter...yes We are gonna build a house and move in to earlier next year...
Now Im trying to find a babtist pastor to arrange the music...

Orjanf,
Keep it simple and have a registry wedding first. It s not expensive and easy to organize. Then go about organizing your religious wedding.

I thought registry wedding was included in a religious wedding...

Maybe its easier to get all formalities fixed first and then its easier to fix a nice ceremony?

yes, correct

Am Indian natoinality am working in dubai I have girl friend in pilippines now I came here in pilippines. need to get married her but the problems is she already married in pilippin it will not yet done the annulment same me also married in India my devorse under the court it will not yet finosh ..so how we get married in pilippin?  it's possible?  What needed requirements?  please reply thanks

Hi,
I don't think its possible to marry until all court proceedings are finalised to both divorces.
Everything in marriage is sacrilege in Gods eyes. Please be careful and make sure of everything. Best of Luck

You have to finalize your divorce/ annulment first, then you can start a new marriage. Annulment in the Philippines can be very expensive as the lawyers see it as an opportunity to rip you off. Make sure you are willing and able to pay a lot of money to get this done. Also be extremely careful when visiting your girlfriend in the Philippines because her husband could have you both arrested for infidelity. It has happened.

me I ask if any denial after interview of French embassy of getting of legal capacity of marriage .? even we are all complete of all documents and we both never been married before?

Hei! where in sweden did u get married? Did u have ur birth cert and CENOMAR authenticated by dfa before applying for hindersprövning sa skatteverket or no need na?

To Kiwi0- Hi, I'm a US citizen, went to the PI and got married. We didn't get married in a church, we were married in Spaky's Chicken, a retaurant! (It's not even there now)_. All I had to do was go to a Govt office in Cebu City, file papers, pay a fee, and that was it!Man, when I read these msgs, I wonder if times have changed for the worse in the PI, or what? Everything seems so complicated now!

Hello please help me guys. *** Please help.  Thanks

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please post only in English
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi! How my boyfriend can get a cenomar here in the Philippines? What we need to do?

Hi. I'm filipino and my boyfriend is a Saudi. We want to get married in philippines on November. How we will get married there? And the requirements? Thank you

Hi! Can you suggest any firm that can help me with attaining Legal Capacity for my Fiance.?

He is a Polish national, there is no embassy of Poland in the Philippines so we dont know what to do in this issue. Thank you!

Hi! I'm from Cebu and me and my Spanish girlfriend are planning to get married. How long does the process for the legal capacity take once you've completed all the requirements ? Thanks

Your Spanish Girl friend will need to get the legal capacity to marry from Spanish Embassy in Philippine or in Spain.

Any idea how long will it take for the process?

Hello Jopaccino
Once you have all the paperwork, you apply for license to marry. This has 120 days before it expires and you have to start again.  A word of caution, my "No Impairment to Marry" ( that we had to fly to Manila for ) and signed by the Australian Embassy there, was NOT accepted by one city hall justice because of the wording.  We found another city hall where it was accepted.
regards  Bruce

Also, in order to complete the requirement for the license to marriage application, they will requirement the couple to attend marriage consultation seminar. This seminar has schedule so just be prepared to attend it on the required date.

@Ashie17
Hi can ask some help.
becuase I and my belgian boyfriend planning to get marriege here in philippines on september.

what would we do after that? or even now,
And how we can get a LCC for marriage and also can you give us some ideas what are the possible questions.
Thank you
Hi evryone, filipina here😊
can I ask some help.
becuase I and my belgian boyfriend planning to get marriege here in philippines on september.

what should we do after that? or even now,
And how we can get a LCC for marriage and also can you give us some ideas what are the possible questions.
Thank you
Here is an old description. I dont know if its same still