Indian origin, US experienced Engineer looking to work in Muscat, Oman

Hi there,

Hope you guys are doing well!
I am originally from India and have been residing in US for the last 8 years.
I am a Mechanical Engineer with 6 years of experience mostly in manufacturing industry and
I am currently looking to find a job in Muscat and would appreciate your help, as in what sites to find job postings at or any other effective ways to find a job and list of manufacturing companies in Muscat, Oman. Also what salary I should be mentioning/expecting in a job interview.
Also, do companies prefer candidates applying directly through the company website or through consultants?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers!
AJ

Hi sunni3204,

First visit all major job sites such as naukri, monster, bayt, et al. They all have a local section. Don't miss LinkedIn of course.  Post your resume under Middle East / Oman sections.

Do a Google for manufacturing companies in Oman. Visit the selected companies and post your details under their jobs section.

Scan the daily English enewspapers like the Times of Oman, Muscat Daily, Oman Daily Observer and the Oman Tribune (yes, there are only 4 English dailies in Oman !). Look under their Situations Required / vacant columns and their appointment pages. You will get an idea of how robust the job market here is.

There are not many job consultants locally, but do look them up for whatever they are worth.

Regarding salary, it is usually the employer who would be calling the shots. See what the offer is, once it is made. Compare it with what you are getting currently and then decide.

For companies, appointing employees directly would be better since there is no other recruitment fee or third party costs attached to the recruitment.

You must read the numerous posts in the forum here on the issues of labour clearance, employment visa delays, and other allied subjects so that you are in the know of what's going on locally as far as the job market is concerned.

Good luck.

Hello Sumitran,

This information is more than enough to get me started on my job hunt and I appreciate your prompt response.
In fact, I have started reading posts about the issues that might be of my concern for getting a job and cost of living, employment visa, delays, etc.
This website definitely help newbies like me to get started and much thanks to people like you, Schaz, VidiDido, etc. to fill in all the information.

I do have another question for you, "Does being in Muscat make it easier to land a job than sitting in USA and applying for one? Not that I am planning for leaving immediately here, but would not mind after trying for a period of 6 months or so to leave my current job and stay with my aunt in Muscat to land me a job! Just a thought!

Again I appreciate your response and look forward to hearing from ya all.

Cheers!
AJ

If u r experienced in manufacturing. Would u be like to have a ppermanent job in manufavturing unit with me though u have to invest as i am plamning to have manufavturing unit startup though mw i m im sales and simce 18 yrs in oman
Thnks

Hello Jiluilu2015,

Thank you for your reply.
Would like to know the details before I can comment on it.
Send me a friend request and we can talk about it.

Cheers!
AJ