Latest Foreign residents in Malta stats

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … -in-a-year

a short presentation of the article might be appreciated :whistle:

Sorry - it's not a long article, I was just trying to bring it's existence to everyone's attention in case they are interested. The story is really a précis of the official stats - not sure I could do a précis of the précis!

Tim

no worries ;) BTW the article is very interesting ;)

The most interesting fact for me is that the percentage of foreigners in Malta is way below the European average at 4.4 % or 6.7 % depending on which figure you like better !

And I was surprised to read that there are more non EU foreigners in Malta than from the EU and that apart from the Brits the second highest number come from India.

Must be a lot more Indian restaurants in Malta than I know of .

Ricky

precis of the comments - many Maltese don't like foreigners...esp if they are "non-EU"

I think there is a love hate relationship with foreigners on the island .
timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100914/local/briton-beaten-up-for-ignoring-traffic-stop-sign-two-on-attempted-murder-charge

Although I am tempted to add that the bulk of comments relating to how Malta would be better off without foreigners are coming from a more vocal minority. The typical sort without anything constructive to add except the incessant noise they make whilst complaining.

Few realise that their very own government is actually promoting Malta outside of the EU as a place to do business and a more flexible partner with which to tap into the EU markets.

Hence the proliferation of hedge funds, igaming , captives seeking domicile on the island.

Of course its more satisfying to rant and rave on these forums, as a means of stress reduction, depending on the season any topic becomes a whirlpool of commentary which quickly descends into the absurd.

Generally, from my experience working with expats, foreign residents of Malta are struck by the warmth and helpfulness of the locals.   A simple example: just two weeks ago, a couple had just left our office in Valletta and was looking for a taxi.  Of course, one is not likely to come by a taxi easily in Valletta as there are fixed places where one can take a taxi.  The clients must have looked in distress before, within minutes, being approached by local passers-by offering assistance.  An old lady offered to walk the couple to the nearest taxi stand.  Another, offered to call a taxi.  Not surprisingly, the couple were impressed. 

Most foreign trainee lawyers who practice briefly in our office in Malta are generally also pleasantly surprised by the friendliness and warmth of the locals.  There may also be incidents of unfriendliness - I guess humanity is the same everywhere. But generally, the Maltese are comfortable around foreigners and probably don't know a Malta without tourists and expats in view of Malta's history and it's thriving egaming and financial services industry.