Where to ride one's bike?

Hi everyone

I was wondering if it is possible to ride one's bike in Mauritius without fearing for one's life? I have been in Mauritius for just a few months but it looks like cars own the place...

Something like a dirt road, away from the roads, would be great.

Any Idea?

Many thanks.

Hi there,

I have the same problem when I live in Mauritius  for long periods of time. As I am from England and unlike mauritius there are no designated cycle lanes like in Europe. However they are more bike friendly in the west from flick en flac down to the south. Please cycle at your own risk as my people have no road etiquette as I have sustained minor injuries simply because the cycle regulations do not uphold in mru so do your research!

I was thinking when I move there permanently in August that a cycle group might be safer. Would you be interested in setting one one up???

Regards
Natasha

moving in July and debating whether to ship our bikes or not - as you said no real place to cycle?? If you set up the group we could join. Keep us posted please.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I won't be in Mauritius permanently now until April. However, I will ship my bike over then. Where are you thinking of being based? I am always happy to meet up in the near future or set up a cycle group then.

Do not be afraid to ship your bikes as in areas where there are a large group of resident expats the locals are more tolerable. I am always based on the west coast but have noticed cyclists in the north, specifically grand bay area. However, these cyclist are always dressed like they are training for the tour de France. ....

Let me know your plans.

You mentioned a Dirt Road ?.
Are you far from the town of Riviere Noir on the road to Le Morne. 
You will see at the southern end of the town a turning to the National Park which is a very quiet road and when you get to the park there is a good forest trail as well which is wide and suitable I think for your needs. Also if you go around the back of LE MORNE where the wind surfers are there is a small track that takes you around the bay back to the main road.

Hello we won't get there until July and the bikes probably later :-(  I will be in Flic en Flac  and I am definitely not a Tour de France contender. see you then

Isa

Hi,

There are plenty of great MTB tracks in Mauritius, thanks to privately-owned sugar fields, + other public places. This FB page will show you the permanent tracks + put you in contact with the MTB crowd.
facebook.com/groups/379535742109843/?fref=ts

Enjoy

Thanks BernardCayeux & lesjar!