New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Puerto Rico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Puerto Rico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2015 continues below!

Hello Julien,
My husband and I just closed on a house in Cabo Rojo. We also purchased a used car. I believe these transactions were possible because we have the best lawyer who is in Mayaquez.  We also have a P.O box so I can mail a few boxes from our home in Maryland. Utilities are next and so are necessities for the house.  I am in the process of searching Clasificados online for used and new furnishings but will take one step at a time. I also want to find any moving/ yard sales but not sure if they have them in PR. I did go to a huge flea market last Sunday. Expat is the best because it will also give additional support, connections and advice.

Sylvbrxt

hi...........i am rick, not originally from wv but live here now.......i am retired and hateful spouse continues to work.  She can't stand that.........bottom line is i need to leave with only social security retirement.........i love the ocean and snorkeling and most anything to do with the beach .  i am an educated man and want to spend the rest of my years in a beautiful place..........i need help finding decent albiet humble place to reside and friends to give me some guidance......yo hablo un poco de espanol..........emphasis on un poco...........thanks folks

Welcome!  There are many here with lots of helpful information that come in and help with questions.  My husband and I are not expats yet, hopefully, soon!

Hi! I'm looking to relocate for my job and am having no luck finding anything online as far as housing. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I just need a studio or 1 bdrm apartment in Aguadilla, preferably near Rafael Hernandez airport.

Hi and welcome!  Have you tried Clasificados Online yet?  It is a craigslist-type site here in PR.  Best of luck in your research!

I did. Unfortunately there weren't many options in Aguadilla but I am keeping an eye on it. Thank you for your help! Also, do you know if the website The Housing Block is legit? They have nice houses for really low prices but I'm a bit wary on if its real or not.

Once you get here, you can find rentals cheaper; but on clasificadosonline, you should be able to get started... many renters only require six months contract. You can find furnished homes for a bit more. I'd suggest maybe look for a place anywhere in the West/Oeste side of the island, Aguadilla, Aguada, Rincon, Añasco, Moca... the beach is great, but (in my humble opinion), if you want to live on the beach, you'd better have more than just Soc Sec retirement. I live, literally, 9 minute drive from the beaches of Rincon... I pay very low rent, on 6.5 acres, in the mountains. It's not luxurious, but it's in my budget, quiet, many fruits & veggies growing, and my dogs love it. I have trouble living in highly populated places, and relish my privacy.

Newbie here. Writing from Richmond Virginia. Married in 2013. Looking to have a year or 2 long adventure by moving to PR.  My husband can't quite wrap his brain around moving somewhere outside of the mainland.  He also has concerns about leaving his job. If it were up to him he'd retire from there when it's time...25+ years from now. He is in security. Speaks no Spanish. (I do) My mindset is we are still young with no serious responsibility and we should chase our dreams while there's time and circumstance allows.
Few questions, are there current sites that list newly posted job openings in PR?  What kinds of things can I show him, to help get him on board? What kind of check list is required to move your life from here to there, beyond job and housing?
:cheers:

Warning: Security jobs in PR may not require that you speak Spanish, but they routinely pay minimum wage... what's that now, $7.25?  If you're licensed to carry, you can get a bit more.

If you're lucky, try USAJOB.GOV and look for federal security jobs in PR  What part of the island do you plan on moving to? (If you've already said that, sorry; I didn't notice).

Mac-

ladiv3568 wrote:

My husband can't quite wrap his brain around moving somewhere outside of the mainland.

ladiv3568 wrote:

My mindset is we are still young with no serious responsibility and we should chase our dreams while there's time and circumstance allows.

When I read the above I get the impression that you and your husband have some talking to do. The dreams seem to be more your dreams than his..

Apart from the above, I'd suggest you read as much in this forum as you can. PR is in a financial crisis right now and the economy is in a pretty bad shape.
Like Mac said, security jobs don't pay good - $7.25 per hour. Many other jobs pay the same.

Hi,

I'm looking at moving there soon from Chicago. I'm a single male, 35. Self employed, so not looking for a job but just a place I'd enjoy and have access to reliable internet/power as I need that for my business.

I just got back recently from San Juan and looked at Old San Juan/Candado. Both were ok, but wasn't ready to pull the trigger on either. Would like to be in an area that is at least somewhat walkable. Thinking of heading back and checking out Dorado and Guaynabo. Any other cities I should add to the list? Not a deal breaker but San Juan/Candado didn't feel like they would be that dog friendly for a medium/large dog. No dog now, but would like one eventually.

I know no spanish, but would plan on learning. Not extremely social, but would like to be in an area I could meet people. Social life is biggest concern on moving there. See a few groups on meetup - are there any recreational sports leagues? Any other suggestions on where to meet people?

Also read about 1 gigabit internet through the "gigabit island" initiative - is that rolling out? Is Optico part of that initiative or separate?

Thanks in advance!
Brian

@lady. Your husband should NOT leave his job in the US. He will be unemployable here in PR.

Its very hard to find a job in Puerto Rico if you don't speak any Spanish. I can't imagine anyone hiring a Security Guard who was not fluent in Spanish! Federal jobs are very hard to get.

My husband and I are New Yorkers, a retired architect and retired psychiatrist.  When I was a teenager, I used to spend spring break with my aunt near Dorado, and have always thought of PR as a second home, even though my Spanish is very limited.  In recent years, we have been exploring the southwest corner of the island, which we love for its dry weather, its beaches and hiking trails.  We are considering buying a piece of land just south of Boqueron, and if we do, we will need to find a contractor and a lawyer as well as new friends and helpers (maintenance, health).  Suggestions are very welcome, especially about a contractor big enough to build a home with site work within a year.

Hello!
I am a double expat. Let me explain. I am Puerto Rican. I grew up in San Juan. I went to college in the US/Midwest. I have raised my children here in the US. My husband is from the US, we met in college.

Now I am 51. I would like to stay in Puerto Rico several months out of the year. My sister and her husband own a home in Dorado. My father lives in Caguas.

It has been 25 yrs since I have lived in the island. I visit yearly, but not lived there. So I need to learn so that I can plan this transition well. I am glad to have found this forum.

Welcome, sever5!  That is wonderful that you will have family in PR during your stays.

Hi! My name is Jen and I moved to Puerto Rico in August of 2014 with my husband and now, 10 month old daughter. We moved from Dothan, alabama to Isabela PR for my husband's work and we couldn't be happier! Our dream was to one day live by the beach and we can't believe that this is our life. Filled with fantastic adventures and challenges along the way, this certainly is a journey we're going to enjoy! Looking to make some friends to share what the island has to offer! Buen dia!

Hi, Jen, and welcome to the forum!  If you like to share your moving experiences in a new post and how the process went, we would all love to hear, especially those of us who are contemplating the move or are in the process.  My goodness your little one must have only been about a month old when you moved...you are brave :)

Hi Jen and Schuttzie,

I agree, very brave and strong!  And, how wonderful for your daughter!!

I am moving to Rincon in June.  I just visited a few weeks ago, and of course, love it!  So, here is my story.  I drove in from the San Juan airport.  I actually stayed in Mayaguez, so drove from San Juan to Mayaguez. I drove through San Juan and some crazy traffic jam due to construction and thought, yea, this isn't so pretty, but then kept driving.  I am from Arizona.  We have no ocean...;)  So, I drove along and up ahead, I saw what looked like to me, a bunch of rocks and stone.  As I approached, I realized it was the ocean!!  It was so beautiful!  I was driving through Isabela or right by it at that point because there was a sign that said Isabela right by the ocean.  I think that is where Hwy 2 bumps up to the ocean than back down, so just before Isabela.  Anyway...that's my Isabela story.  Glad you are living your dream!  Welcome and I'll be in Rincon in June.  I won't have a car (that's how I roll.  I prefer bicycles.), but if you are ever in Rincon, please let me know!

Liz

etilley23, I can't wait to hear how your move goes!

Glad it's worked out for you, Jen.

Thanks!  I'll definitely let everyone know :)

Hi all,
I am Rey, I was born in PR and raised there until I was 20. At that time I joined the Army and I did a bit of traveling for 10 years. Since then I been a civilian and lived in many states for the last 30 years.

Now I am ready to come back to Puerto Rico and retire there. looking to buy in either Luquillo, Fajardo, Ceiba, or Humacao.

I have a post with tittle time to retire in Puerto Rico, it has some questions about expenses that I would love for you all to comment on
Thanks
Rey

Welcome, ReyP~  I've seen your other post and it looks like you are getting lots of helpful information.  All the best on your move!

Hey,
my name is Gene. I am 27 years old. No degree, just a really hard worker. I am single and I want to move to pr for a fresh start. I don't need to be on the beach. I don't need much. I have a car (2014). I am looking for any info on the island. I will need a job. I was there on vacation just a week ago for seven days. I saw enough to know that is where i would like to be. At least for a year just to  see how things go. Meet new people and experience new things. Don't lknow spanish well. I am on a budget and anything you may know that can help me would be appreciated. Looking to make the move in october 2015.
Thanks

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes! And I don't  know about brave traveling with my little one ( she was 6 weeks old), but I appreciate it! She pretty much slept the whole TWO plane rides and was a champ when we finally arrived at aguadilla airport at 3am. I think she's the brave one ☺️
I'd love to share my moving experience, from preparing while in the states, the actual transition, and then setting up here in isabela. Should I start a new thread here or post in another forum category? I'll also be happy to take any direct questions anyone may have if you want to shoot me a question via my inbox.
Thanks again and a big welcome to the new folks! 😊

A preemptive welcome! There are jobs to be had... and there are advantages for bilinguals, but you'll fibd that speaking only English, (or only Spanish, for that matter) can be a bit of a handicap. I had a friend, who did what you propose to do; she had a job with old navy, transferred her position here to PR, and corporate told her that her hob would be here for her... six months later, now on food assistance, difficulty with her kids in school, still no job at old navy... she was forced to move back.

Frequent this site, read what others have queried, and ask questiobs that have not been previously posted. Do your research, so you do not suffer the same fate. You will find here, a helpful community. I am going on ten years now... I think I'll stay a while!

Mac

Hello Gene, A car is necessary in Puerto Rico but I think it would be cheaper to buy one there than ship yours. Good buys an be found there. Work may be difficult to come across  but I had had people help me out on the farm via "helpx" of "wwoof". You might consider working in a situation like that to get accustomed to living in Puerto Rico. I will be doing construcrion on my farm late this year or early 2016. If you get back with me with more details about yourself I could fill you in on details. you can email me at [email protected]

Hello and greetings.  My name is BD and my wife is Trish.  We visited Puerto Rico five years ago on our honeymoon and truly enjoyed every minute.  Now five years later we are considering retiring and moving to Puerto Rico.  We are wanting to know about life on the island.  We are organic gardeners and enjoy eating healthy.  Is there organic produce available?  Of course we are concerned about the cost of living.  We have read a great deal about the economy and the problems existing.  We are determined to find a place on the island.  We presently live in North Texas near Dallas/Ft Worth.  One of our main interest is the beaches.  We are beach people and enjoy everything about beaching it.  I enjoy surfing and was able to surf there five years ago in Luquillo.  Neither of us speak spanish.  Will that be a problem?    We are open to finding a good spot to settle.  If you could share any information, it would be great.

Thank you.

BD, I'd recommend taking some time and going back through past posts. There is a veritible wealth of information and will probably answer most if not all of your questions. The only thing I would caution you on right now is the state of the economy in PR. It is rapidly spiraling out of control and there are still a lot of uncertanties as to how it might or might not get fixed. Two things it will have an immediate effect on are the electric and water companies. It's possible that as a result of the utility companies not being able to meet the deadline to pay their bills that there could be frequent and extensive service interruptions.

BD - For surfing Rincon, Aguada, Aguadilla, and Isabella are the places to be, by far. Beaches are great there but beaches are great in many other locations. No problem not speaking Spanish in north west PR, especially Rincon. Organic gardeners are needed and in Rincon although there are several farms in the area already, e.g. Sana - they have a stand across from the Rincon post office and they are a blessing.

Sana is pretty nice. There's also a farmers market in aguadilla on Saturdays at 110 thai towards ramey. Not sure how organic but there's various items.

Hi, my name is Lauren and we moved to Puerto Rico 3 weeks ago. We have a 3 month old and a 2 and a half year old. My husband and I work from home so we are able to travel and still provide for our family. So we decided to go ahead and start living our dream while we and the children are young.  We settled on the Cabo Rojo area and love it! If anyone has any advice on activities for toddlers in the Cabo Rojo or Mayaguez areas I would greatly appreciate it!

The people at Sana are some of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. If you want the best in organic veggies, see them. They can also give any other info you might need about eating healthy on the island. Victor, next time you stop by Sana's stand please tell Sonia that Gregg the knife sharpener sends much love. Thanks.

Hi all, We are interested in liveaboard (on our sailboat) opportunities that may exist in PuertoRico. We are US citizens and are retired so jobs aren't an issue. We will continue searching.....

You might check out La Parguera between Guanica and Cabo Rojo. Ponce has a marina too. Sometimes I see sailboats anchored of the Bosque Seco in Guanica.

Also marina in Porto Real, Marina Pescaderia:
http://www.marinapescaderia.com/

Also boats anchor at Rincon harbor. No services, just drop achor, no fees. Nice location!

You will also find live aboard svcs at the marina in Salinas, there are many "gringos" living on sailboats there. Complete with water/sewage, and power hookups. You will find similar services in many, many towns/cities on island.

Hi
My name is John. 23 from South Louisiana. My friend is moving In August to attend school in Mayaguez and I am looking to move in Nov. / Dec. with maybe another of our friends, we have looked and found a few places for rent. 2/3 bedrooms. Mainly looked in the Rincon area and also Cabo Roja. Any rental info, and also possible job listing information could be very useful. Though my friend will be attending grad school, I am looking for a new adventure in life. I am mainly in the service industry, bartending/ serving. Would love to work at a nice resort or even just in the night life of the island of where we would be living. Thank you all.

Closed