Vegans in mauritius

Hi there!
I'll be moving soon to Mauritius and something is worrying me. Will I find vegan products in the island? If it's difficult around Europe, I guess in the island as well.

thanks!!!

Hello Carboro,
I will be easy. Mostly every Supermarket offer veg food and here lives a lot of Indian and a lot of them eat only veg. An other question is, if you like Indian food. In any case here are veg restaurants with only vegetarian offer and a lot of other a restaurant have a veg offers. Incl. Mc Donald

So don´t worry.

Andreas

Danke schön Andreas, that's a relief!!!

Hi
It's surprising to know that vegan products are hard to find in Europe but surprisingly not in Mauritius. I was surprised when I got here that you can easily find vegan products in super markets. Even Frys products are available here.. I know here they cost a lot cheaper than they're sold in some western countries . Apart from that there are some local brands as well, I know one local product call Govinda's, they're eve cheaper than Frys and they also have veg burger patties, sausages, meat balls and more. And every restaurant you'll find at least one veg dish in the menu. Also as someone else mentioned many vegetarian Hindus live here so they also have many local healthy fast food which they usually sell just on the roads in small stalls . Mauritius is a very beautiful country with lot of things to do, you'll love some beaches . Gabriel island, Ile aux Cerfs and Casela are few places you must see n experience in your spare time. Enjoy !

Hallo,
Immer wieder gerne. Alles Gute für Dich.
Andreas

Great! That's fantastic! That will make my stay even better!!  :D

Hello, so glad to know more fellow Vegans are relocating to Mauritius!

I don't want to sound negative but there are 2 things to consider (that I wish I had been told before moving here):
- for most people here being Vegan and vegetarian is the same, therefore they will tell you (as they told me in the past) that you will find lots of "veg" options -> that means with dairy products or eggs. For example I went to Indian restaurants that were supposed to be Vegan-friendly only to find out there was not one single item on the menu that contained no milk or cream or yogurt. I often call or write to restaurants asking if they have Vegan options and they're answer usually is "not really" or "we have salad". Furthermore, often what looks like Vegan-friendly (noodles with tofu!) is actually cooked in chicken stock... you always, always have to ask, and read ingredients even when you think it's safe: even bread at the supermarket has butter in it, I was not used to this...

- second thing to consider is that you'll be better looking for organic fruits & vegetables (if you can afford it, I can't really) as there are no strict regulations on the quantities of pesticides used like we have back in Europe. That's not good news for someone who eats fruits & veggies as 80% of their diet.

Other than that, most if not all supermarkets do have Fry's products - be aware of Govinda as they are indeed catered to vegetarians, and sometimes contain milk etc. You can find cheap dry lentils & pulses, and lots of plant-based milks (most are really expensive though)

All in all, I must say being Vegan has been a little frustrating these past months here. There's only one little fast food restaurant in all of Mauritius that is Vegan, that's Vegan Heaven in Port Louis. Maybe it depends also on your lifestyle, what you're used to as of now - if you can easily find vegan cheese, yogurt, cookies, icecream, restaurants etc, then it won't be too easy. For the rest if you find an organic market you're good to go :-)

Thanks for the tips!! I guess I'll have to ask everything, not too different from Spain anyways. It's funny the chicken stock thing, sometimes they answer it doesn't count haha
I'll do my best not to struggle too much being a vegan over there!

Thanks a lot! It's good to know vegans are everywhere :)))

I'll be happy to share a few more places where you can find Vegan options if you need
:)

Hi,
I've been living in Mauritius for 25 years. I'm a vegetarian but not totally vegan as yet (I just keep dairy to a minimum) there are a few vegan products which are easy to get here,  namely tofu,  been curd etc. Soya milk is imported  so very expensive & I haven't seen soya cheese here. You can check out the Frys soya products on Internet which are easy to get,  plus there are similar things from Malaysia which are meat replacement. All in all I find it OK to be vegan here unless u really eat a lot of vegan dairy substitutes.

Hello there
Supermarkets will offer you lot of veg choices and you can cook or microwave
Also namaste in port Louis then Iscon temple in Phoenix offers daily very cheap and good quality stuff and north we have in grand bay saffron grill and Indian summer in ebene and ......
If you still need more choices e mail me at [email protected] since I am lacto vegan.
Danke
Suresh

I am vegitarain.  But I can't cook. I gonna move Mauritius.  If I eat everyday in vegitarain restaurant how much it gonna cost me? Please advise me.

sssid wrote:

I am vegitarain.  But I can't cook. I gonna move Mauritius.  If I eat everyday in vegitarain restaurant how much it gonna cost me? Please advise me.

First you need to work out which area of Mauritius you will be living in, then do a Google search for vegetarian restaurants in the area.
Or find ordinary restaurants and look at prices on their menus as they often have some vegetarian dishes.

Hi, there is a supermarket call Super uni in quatre borne, u will get veg stuffs

Triolet has many vegetarian choices
Also there are temples which can guide you to veg food places
Good luck
Suresh

Try Quartier Gourmet in Sodnac, quatre Bornes. They have a good choice of imported products like nuts, superfoods, oils etc. and they sell organically grown vegetables with no pesticides.

Hallo,

I don't know if you are already in Mauritius but I am Mauritian and i am vegan. You have to say that you are strict vegetarian. They will understand. It is really not hard but always precise it or sax that you are allergy ;). There are 2 versions of Chinese noodles with and without eggs. I will move back next year and can't wait to eat again all the variety of fruits and vegetables.

Liebe Grüße,
Geraldine.

they are under the name frys you will find them at most supermarkets

yes the products are under the name frys they are available in most supermarkets throughout the country

hey!

do you get Sriracha sauce there??