Dependent Pass Work Permit

Hello,

I am curious to learn more about the work permit process in Nairobi. I am an American woman married to a Kenyan man so I am eligible for a dependent pass. After that has been granted, what work permit would I qualify for? I have read a Class D permit (costing 50,000k) but I want to clarify as well as find out if there are limitations in what work I may be able to apply for and finalized cost.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to hold both a Dependents Pass and a Work Permit.  The Dependents Pass is issued for someone who is dependent upon their partner for living costs - hence the name.

To work, you would need a work permit.  Class D is issued (cost 200,000 per annum) is issued in response to being offered  employment and it is the employer who applies for this, subject to their meeting certain criteria.

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

If I would like to work in Kenya can I apply and pay for my own work permit?

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot apply for your own work permit for formal paid employment, as it is the employer who does this.  I understand that the idea behind this is to address the huge problem of well educated, but unemployed Kenyans being previously overlooked by employers, in favour of westerners.  Now, an employer of a westerner is supposed to evidence that a Kenyan is being trained to do that job in the interim.

You can set up your own business and register a company, then apply for a Class G Permit.  However, for this you need to have $100,000 in your bank, or already invested in Kenya.

In time, if you continue to live in Kenya, you should be able to apply for permanent residency, which does permit you to work legally.

I have pasted a link below, for information:

http://www.immigration.go.ke/Information.html