Can a single retired American move to India and survive

on social security alone? If yes, what areas of India are cheapest?

Hello Pandora99,

Welcome on board!

I think a longer introduction would be most apreciate.

Can you tell us a little bit more so that members can help. :/

Thank you,
Marjorie

Im not sure if there are any immigration categories that would allow a retiree to live in India.

Here is some info from the web

While India lacks a ‘retirement visa' category, it does offer several long-term visas that are ideal for expatriates looking to settle down in the country. The standard tourism visa is available for periods up to six months, and back-to-back visas are often issued. This means that long-term residents can stay in India indefinitely using tourism visas, provided they leave the country every six months.

Tourist visas for American and British visitors are often issued for up to ten years, allowing holders to exit and re-enter the country without having to receive a new visa in the process. Other visas are available, including the Overseas Citizen of India program, which allows non-citizens of India that have family with Indian citizenship to pursue citizenship while residing outside the country.

You may be required to produce bank statement to back up your ability to reside in India.

Enquiries can be made at the nearest High Commission or Consulate.

hello sir,

i am a real estate consultant based in mumbai .
i have a client staying here in  an apartment in powai on sharing basis, He is an american citizen and i believe is living on in SS income.

Yes, if you get 10 yrs. Visa and have money to sustain your stay.

Not a wise move pal....stay put where you are....

West Bengal is the cheapest and beautiful place.

Yes by all means.

You haven't mentioned your gender but don't go for cheapest as law and order is of equally important. Choose South India for this reason and avoid WB, Bihar etc. Are you having expertise or resources for setting up a small business with an Indian partner?  If so can assist you.

I am an American who has lived in India for the past three years.  There is no question that the cost of living is dramatically lower in India compared to America.  In this regard, your social security funds will go considerably further in India than they in the USA.  You would want to make sure that you have good medical support, and it would help if you had a few friends at the start to help you adjust to culture, although that's not totally necessary.

Here's a cost of living example:  I live in Kochi (southern India) and I am renting a 2 bedroom AC apartment for 25,000 rupees (ca. $400).  In the USA, the equivalent flat would cost me 3 to 4 times this amount. 

Cost of living in larger cities such as Mumbai or Delhi is likely to be more expensive than other places in India, but in general, almost any place you could want to live in India will be considerably less than it would in good old America.

depends on objectives and expectations - Tier 1 cities like BOM DEL etc will be challenging primarily because of high cost of real estate (buy or rent) . India is vibrant so many parts of the country have lots to offer in terms of living experience. You may want to prioritize what are your must-haves and nice to haves - for example if you need to live to next to the beach and like lots of buzz maybe Goa is a good alternative - if you like more cultural aspects maybe Bangalore etc. But neither of these locations have a significant winter. Also do not forget to factor in health insurance and proximity to good hospital care which would tend to take you to larger cities.  But overall I think Rs 75K per month is a reasonable budget which would include most things. For two that would be Rs 1L per month (excluding place to stay).

From the US you can obtain a ten-year tourist visa with multiple entries; Google Travisa. It took me three weeks. On social security alone appears doable as long as you don't overdo the real estate side. With additional income then of course it can easily be accomplished.

Well thanks, Omahan, for that one statement input with no background or substantiation.