Vietnam, TEFL !!! Here I come

Hi everyone

Mixed feelings; sometimes a sense of fear and sometimes full of excitements of joy.

For the very first time in my life I will leave my home country alone without accompanying family/friends or any acquaintance. As I am going to Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City this May 2015 for my TEFL certification.

Let me express why I chose this certification; as I believe I am exceptional in English language in all fields, i.e. Writing, Speaking, Listening, and Reading.

Hoping, I will become a good English Teacher where students feel proud of me, and subsequently earning respect from the community.

P.S. Seniors please guide me about job prospects in Vietnam, especially for me; who never had a teaching job before. Also I would welcome all the concerned people to express their independent thoughts/opinions/suggestions for me.

With Best Regards  :)
Manoj

It would be good to select a TEFL course with say the British Council as that would look good on your future CV and the standard will be high.

Any course should include lots of practice (the BC has classes, so perhaps they allow their students to act as assistant teachers in them?). It is important you get experience, as that will get you jobs in the future once you are qualified. Employers always ask about experience, i.e. actually testing out the materials that you have developed and other resources on learners rather than just having theoretical knowledge.

I suggest you might at some point approach international schools and see if you could become an assistant teacher or classroom assistant.

Hi Gravitas

The course which I have selected is accredited by Fort Hays State University not British Council.

Additionally, it also comprises of intensive in-class training which may include 8-10 hours of teaching practice. Hence, hoping to gain much from the course.

Are you sure this course is linked to Fort Hays State University? It just seems a strange connection and no mention of any campus in Vietnam.................... Perhaps others can comment on the place where you are actually taking the course, if you provide the name? Always good to get local opinions before committing to something. By the way, 8-10 hours training is a laughably low amount. It should be more than 30 hours and preferably over 50 hours.

Hi

It is not Hays State university directly involved; it is mere a supervisory. Hence, the institute is here teflcourseDOTnet -you may please go through it.

8-10 hours I meant teaching practice -as if I will be asked to conduct some classes for that period of time; however, the course comprises of 120 hour.

Once certified I suspect you will have multiple job opportunities as the demand for English teachers remains high. If HCMC proves to chaotic for your long term happiness then consider relocating to some of the smaller and more pleasant cities around Vietnam. In these places the demand and need is much greater.
Best of Luck

klockola wrote:

Once certified I suspect you will have multiple job opportunities as the demand for English teachers remains high. If HCMC proves to chaotic for your long term happiness then consider relocating to some of the smaller and more pleasant cities around Vietnam. In these places the demand and need is much greater.
Best of Luck

Hi
Thank You klockola
I would only consider a good opportunity regardless of any city or place.

I don't want to discourage you, but I'm going to tell you how I see it:

1.)  You should be pursuing a CELTA, due to the fact that you're not a native speaker of English.  As prestigious as Fort Hays State University is, they aren't in the same league as Cambridge.  I'm not a big fan of the CELTA program, in general, but having one can open doors for non-native speakjers and people without 4 year degrees.

2.)  Even if you successfully earned a CELTA, you may still have difficulties finding a job.  It's a well known fact that the schools prefer native speakers, with a sizable amount of those also preferring whites/caucasians.  Most of us would prefer being hired based upon our merits and skills, believe me, so the thought of being hired based on skin pigmentation is more than a little irritating.

and

3.)  Most courses, including the CELTA,  have 6 observed teaching hours.  That's the industry standard, so 8 to 10 is actually in excess of the norm.

Teacher Mark wrote:

I don't want to discourage you, but I'm going to tell you how I see it:

1.)  You should be pursuing a CELTA, due to the fact that you're not a native speaker of English.  As prestigious as Fort Hays State University is, they aren't in the same league as Cambridge.  I'm not a big fan of the CELTA program, in general, but having one can open doors for non-native speakjers and people without 4 year degrees.

2.)  Even if you successfully earned a CELTA, you may still have difficulties finding a job.  It's a well known fact that the schools prefer native speakers, with a sizable amount of those also preferring whites/caucasians.  Most of us would prefer being hired based upon our merits and skills, believe me, so the thought of being hired based on skin pigmentation is more than a little irritating.

and

3.)  Most courses, including the CELTA,  have 6 observed teaching hours.  That's the industry standard, so 8 to 10 is actually in excess of the norm.

Hi Mark

Thanks for your comments.

And I may have mistakenly quoted 8-10 hours; frankly I don't have an idea about hours of observed teaching, but that is more than 5 hours for sure.

Regards

Barly wrote:

Hi Manoj,
          I'm Barly from India currently live in Ho Chi Minh City.    Contact me for more information
           [email protected]

Hi Barly
Nice to hear about any neighborhood over here.

Well, I will also come HCMC this may.

And, have dropped you an email too.

Regards