Moving to Kuwait

Hello everyone!

I am moving to Kuwait this summer to teach for the next two years, and we're hoping to make some new friends before we get there. My wife and I know very little about Kuwait so anything you can tell us before we come would be awesome. Best places to eat, hangout, travel... anything!

We're going to be out in Al Jahra, which some people have said is very nice... and a lot of others have said is less than nice. Thoughts?

One last thing, we're taking our dog (a beautiful Formosan), from China to Kuwait. We'll be moving in the summer (sometime in either July or August). Will it be a problem bringing him in those months due to the heat? The other option we have is bringing him to America first, leaving him with family for the first few months and then bringing him in the winter when I go home for a visit.

I'm American and my wife is Taiwanese so any mandarin speakers in Kuwait we'd love to get to know :)

Thanks for all of your advice!!

Kyle

Welcome to the board :)

I don't know the Al Jahra area so I can't comment but I can give you recommendations on where to eat. Your hangout spots will be very limited unless you go guys like to shop then you'll have plenty of options  :D

I moved here with two dogs too and the majority of airlines won't allow you to fly your dog during the summer because of the extreme heat. Kuwait Airway is the only one I've heard that allows but honestly even if you could it's best to wait until it's cool down because your poor dog will be left by itself outside for hours before you can retrieve it and it's HOT and not worth risking your dog's life for.

Hope this helps!

you will have to be more specific than Jahra - if you look at the map, jahra is almost 80% of Kuwait, granted most of it is unexplored, unchartered territory but again, where would you be calling home? the closer you are to main roads, the easier it will be for you to enjoy the rest of kuwait.

and yes, jahra does have quite a reputation of being "hard". im guessing a school opened up there and hence why they offer accommodation in jahra - if you can get your rent allowance and find a place on your own, you'll be better for it, provided u do not mind the traffic getting to and from work.

or you could just stay put and see what your fellow teachers do for fun in the area, where they go etc. honestly, you'd be better served with their opinion.