Christian Ministry

Hello!  Are there any missionaries on here?  We are researching cities and would like to move to Ecuador but also work with local churches, Christian orphan ministry, or outreach programs.  Does anyone know of specific needs?  Leaning towards residing within 75 miles from GYE and coastal elevation would likely be best.  This forum seems to have a variety of people so thought I would put out a general request for any ideas or suggestions!  Were anticipating an arrival this summer but the flights seem to double so perhaps we will wait til early September for everyone to come.  We have 2 fluent children as well that are in immersion program, so looking forward to having translators until we get better with language.  Using duolingo ap now though!  Thanks!!!!

SIM -- Serving in Mission -- is a missionary organization that has been active in Ecuador since 1989.  Over 30 missionaries are on the SIM team from Guayaquil to Loja and other areas of southern Ecuador.

The organization's motto is "Serving the Church Across Cultures."

source:  www.sim.org/index.php/country/ec

Also there is HCJB "La Voz de los Andes" which started in Ecuador as a radio station in the 1930s and was active for many decades and still is, in the mission field:

https://reachbeyond.org/about/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HCJB

Hello, I am relocating to a small village the first week of May 2015.  I would love to have help setting up a Christian Fellowship.  But I would need to know your denominational connections and doctrinal beliefs.  I have been praying for helpful leadership.

Remember, Ecuador is a mostly Catholic country. Why try to convert them? Leave them be.

Gracias Amigos:)
I know there is a predominant Catholic population; but we are looking to serve where there are opportunities.  Catholics are Christians already.  There may be needs and in the name of Jesus we would serve, as that is our leader...if that makes sense!  We do not anticipate going until fall of 2015 and have not decided on specific locations yet, but when we do we will also want to identify and connect with other Christians.  Thanks for the info though, this forum is so neat!  We didn't realize there was such an expat community!  And we will join the expat community but are also serving a purpose:)  What's your purpose?  That can be rhetorical if you like, but we look forward to teaching our kids service and appreciation for life not the American dream.

Bring thick skin. Unless you are giving them food or some other thing of value you will be of little use to the indigenous. And many expats will regard you with contempt. There is ample suffering in your own country you could attend to without leaving home.

goodbyeMN wrote:

Gracias Amigos:)
I know there is a predominant Catholic population; but we are looking to serve where there are opportunities.  Catholics are Christians already.  There may be needs and in the name of Jesus we would serve, as that is our leader...if that makes sense!

Makes sense to me. Best wishes in your efforts.

it's all good, everyone has their reasons.  thanks though!  i still wanted to put it out there as i am guessing there are some people on the forum that are either Christians or in ministry.  adjusting to a new culture is the same regardless and relocating a family has unique challenges so i am glad to be here.  unless i like what i hear there be many grains of salt;)

I have lived in Ecuador for over a year. My family and I attend a Christian church. I can tell you for sure that there is great need and opportunity to help people. Other than the Government, there aren't many people or groups helping the poor and needy.
Most people think of missions work as spreading the Gospel, sure, but here people want to see you in action and test your sincerity.
Many people who come here with the idea of doing "ministry" get frustrated and give up. I have much to say about this. Later.
I would be glad to tell you more, or help in any way. Feel free to email me.

Peace,
Dave
Ds5parsons (at) gmail.com