Buying a small dive shop

Good day, I am considering buying a small dive shop in Puerto Plata.I have owned a dive shop before in Panama, but this was more of a back packers crowd.Puerto Plata is mainly big resorts with their own dive centers attached to them.Also I have been reading that tourism in Puerto Plata has been on the down turn the last years, and crime could be an issue.
Could anyone give me some advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

I hope you are looking at an existing shop with a great current income.  There are 2-3 dozen dive shops in the area and new ones (as well as old ones) are closing and opening all the time.

Bob K

Thanks Bob, I am looking at an existing one, it is a small dive shop away from the beach close to the rum factory in Puerto Plata.They transport their clients by car to the beach in Sosua.There seems to be quiet a lot of competition, so I want to move carefully.

Why Puerto Plata?  Have you looked at other areas?

The one in Puerto Plata has a very good rating on Trip Advisor, and the price is affordable for me.

It does not seem to be a very busy dive center however, so I am worried about not making my investment back, especially in the low season

Low season  will be a  struggle for sure.

And how has tourism been in general in Puerto Plata lately?

I have a friend (Dominican) who owns/runs a small dive shop here.  He struggles day to day even though one of the busier shops.  Thing will start improving for him soon I hope as he just landed the contract for Life Styles resort and has signed an exclusive contract to provide ALL dive and  snorkel trips for Carnival cruise lines when they start arriving in October. 

Personally with all the dive shops around a beach bar (which is a terrible venture) would a better purchase. :D

Bob K

To answer you other question... we had one of the better tourist seasons in a long time this year.  However a very shot one with Easter coming so early.  Easter is the official end of tourist season.

So now the rough part of the year for local business owners.

Bob K

Nice to hear things are picking up Bob.  Congrats to your friend, that is awesome.

There is a dive shop for sale in Bayahibe on the south coast if there is any interest. NO idea on details though.

Oke Bob, thanks your advise helps me out a lot.Just out of curiosity,why is a beach bar a terrible venture? and what kind of business do you think is good to invest in? I have bout XXX to invest, that was what I was going to pay for the dive shop and seems a little much, considering the equipment and compressor are a little old, and there is no boat included.I am just scared I will not be able to make my investment back with all the competition around.

First any business here is a bad idea IF you don't know business, this specific business,  Spanish, the culture,  Labor Laws and probably other things.................

Please do not post how much money you have on an open forum.... Thanks.

More beach bars fail every year.  Very hard for a gringo.  Remember that to own and operate a business here you will need your residency, cedula  and RNC (tax id number)

Before you spend your money and never tell anyone here you have X number of dollars to spend, you need to come down here for a few months.  Live like you would if you were here (not in hotels or resorts) and look around to see what might work. THEN do the homework.

Remember the best way to leave the DR with a million dollars is to arrive with Two Million. :D:D

Bob K