Road cycling in Cebu ?

Anyone know if there are safe (a relative term  :)  ) cycling routes around Cebu ? Even better if there are groups that regularly ride together?

I'm a regular cyclist in Melbourne moving to Cebu in July.

No place is safe for motorists of any kind. I have personally witnessed bicyclists, motorcyclist, and tricycles get run off the road because a car, bus , truck decided that passing was more important than the small motorists coming head on. Rather than wait until you pass they will pull out coming head on at your vehicle.

Understand that there are no traffic enforcement nor any safety standards on any of the Philippines roadway.

Be careful and vigilant. As for riding clubs just go there first and then inquire. There are a lot of riding groups through out the Philippines. I'm sure you will feel better after having met with them in person.

Where I'm located they have runs every weekend. Usually it's in groups of as much as 20. One group I personally am aware of is a group of teachers another is a group of expats, but that's here. I'm sure you will find similar groups there.

hi sarah. you will notice a big difference in road quality and road rules, Suggest you have surgery and get additional eyes placed on sides and back of ur head. lol. I have seen groups riding together but do not have any contacts. So there are thrill seekers venturing out on their bikes.

Cycling in Cebu roads is not for the faint hearted.  With motorcycles, and vehicles competing for space in the narrow streets, it gets hairy.  I've done a lot of road bike riding in Canada and was hoping to continue this in Cebu but one look told me it's easier said than done.  I've met a number of bikers, mostly on mountain bikes and they ride only at night when traffic is relatively lighter.  Another group rides only in the outskirts of the city but that meant I had to drive out and find a safe place to leave my vehicle.  I've seen a few road bikes on and more mountain bikes on the streets but I could see the riders were local folks more used to the nuances of riding in busy streets.  I don't see myself doing that for some time yet.

Are these of any interest:
cebubicycleclub.webs.com - The Cebu Bicycle Club, Inc.
www.cebucycling.com - A Cebu Cycling Forum