Is it this hard finding good apartments right now?

Sorry if there are threads. Please redirect me then. I'll have to go in a minute and only have Internet in the apartment I'm staying at.

I've spoken to several real estate agents. They say prices have gone up 40 percent the last 6 months.

I'm looking for a 1 bed room decent size apartment for 700 euros, preferably being a penthouse.

I might have been lucky, as I stumbled upon a Swedish agent who showed me one like this. It was very small but good sized terrace and balcony with nice views. I will know on Monday but if I'll get it but my overall impression is it's really hard finding something like this. Is it?

I guess I hadn't researched enough on this either because i thought it would be fairly easy to find a nice apartment.

Right now my impression is it's more expensive here than in Sweden.

I just wanted to check with you guys, maybe get some advice etc. I'd appreciate it.

its difficult to find a good well maintained apartment combined with residential tariffs coupled with a good honest fair  tax complaint landlord although they do exist..

and it will get harder for sure.

as for price increases i see and have heard no evidence of that.. beware of estate agents who speak with forked tongue

Just my recent experience : we arrived a month ago and found an appartment in sliema in 3 days with a real estate agent (maisonnette, two bedrooms, nicely furnished, in a quiet street and close to the sea on both sides of the street, 830 euros+bills). Penthouses are more expensive. We were looking for that at first, but it was over our price range  and several people told us it not such a good idea : you freeze in winter and get way too hot in summer (and summer lasts more than 6 months here :) )
In the end we have no terrace, not even a balcony, but we found out that we were spending most of our time outside (even when the weather sucks) than we used to do in Paris. So we didn't find it hard at all to find a place, we just had to give up some expectations (which were not so imperatives after all)
Oh, we we negociated the rent a little and had the EEEEEEEEEEEW mattresses changed in two days with no questions asked

I did post my experiences previously that the state of the rental market is very very volatile!

If you don't mind me asking what area did you pay 700eur for a 1 bed? As I managed to find a 3 bed in Msida for 350! LUCKILY the only one in budget we found so we went for it

Wrongholebutherewego wrote:

I've spoken to several real estate agents. They say prices have gone up 40 percent the last 6 months.

Don't believe every word that estate agents tell you. I was even tempted to say don't believe a single word they tell you, but there are some decent ones. I've certainly not heard of any 40% increases though, that sounds like porkies to me.

It might be a good idea to have a look through the Long Lets section on the Maltapark website, adverts for properties on there are generally direct from the landlords, so it might give you a better overall idea of price ranges, a truer representation. And one person less in the chain means one less person talking BS to you.

Check out the Classifieds on the Times Of Malta website too, they have a 'To Let' section, and those adverts will be as up-to-date as you will find.

Thank you guys.

the first agent I spoke to which I was recommended by a Swedish blogger living here only had two apartments to show me. It was impossible to find anymore he said.

The first one was so small and so bad I couldn't believe they were asking 600. The stove was from the 90s or something and the balcony was really small with no views. This was in msida somewhere.

The second one was also in msida by the university. They were asking 700. Or actually he lied and said 750 but we can make it 700. The apartment was actually quite nice. Good size and good terrace. It was a penthouse. However the location was bad the bathroom was very small and the views from the terrace was a building straight ahead a roundabout to the left and distant city views to the right.

Even though he said he didn't push me he told me this will go very quickly and I won't find something like this. He later told me two other persons are seeing this tonight. I told him I would return to him later about my decision but haven't done so yet. Screw him.

Oh btw he also told me it's very rare to find a dishwasher if it isn't a 1000 euro apartment. Another real estate agent showed me one for 500 with dishwasher.

I'm gonna check the website u recommended and be even more cautious now after your posts.

is it possible to call landlords tomorrow when it's public holiday or should I wait until Wednesday? Of course it's possible but u know what I mean :)

Are you really surprised that one person tells you one thing and another person tells you different?
C'mon, these are sales people, usually on commission and this is Malta.
I have PM'd you details of a person I recommend being quite a rare person in this business, one with integrity.
(And no, I have nothing to gain.)

many estate agents lie..... to get the sale - dishwashers in apartments - I have had dishwashers in three of the four properties ive rented ranging in rents of 350 to 600 so hes talking bollox....

the old chestnuts of there are two others who are interested, and this will go quickly are older than moses and were used in the days when pussy was a kitten - dont believe a word - go with your gut feeling - its pressures sales  - simple as that   walk away hes lying and you need to be dealing with  someone who has a level of integrity (difficult I know) and am afraid this guy doesnt have it. ......at all

NB also be wary of the fake call - they use that a lot...

Check out maltapark and contact owners direct it will save you paying fees to a letting agent , also give you an idea what's truly out there too

is it possible to call landlords tomorrow when it's public holiday or should I wait until Wednesday?

Some landlords will probably talk to you, if they are desperate enough to let out their property, not sure if they would arrange appointments for today though. Estate agents will be closed.

Friday is a bank holiday too, so there will be a lot of people on a go-slow this week. You picked a bad week!!

Toon wrote:

many estate agents lie..... to get the sale

It's weird though Toon, it's a country of extremities. I've dealt with a few serious cowboy estate agents, but just as many who have been absolutely wonderful. They've gone so far out of their way to help me, even after I've moved in, setting up TV / Internet before I had an ID card, etc. Many other people say exactly the same. It's the luck of the draw.

It's not even down to the specific company they work for, the same estate agent can have as many cowboys as they do amazing agents, it really is all down to the specific individual.

On An Island wrote:
Toon wrote:

many estate agents lie..... to get the sale

It's weird though Toon, it's a country of extremities. I've dealt with a few serious cowboy estate agents, but just as many who have been absolutely wonderful. They've gone so far out of their way to help me, even after I've moved in, setting up TV / Internet before I had an ID card, etc. Many other people say exactly the same. It's the luck of the draw.

It's not even down to the specific company they work for, the same estate agent can have as many cowboys as they do amazing agents, it really is all down to the specific individual.

That's Malta all over to be fair though some people will go out of their way to be helpful and others it's like trying to get blood from a stone ;)

We've only been here for two months, but definitely don't feel pressured into signing anything.  We were given all the 'there's loads and you won't have a problem' by the estate agent, only to get here to be told there's nothing and to be shown three dumps.  We signed for the best of the bunch, even though it wasn't right because we felt the pressure to sign there and then.  We were told there was a dishwasher, but stupidly didn't check so we ended up having to buy one.  The furniture is new and the place is clean, whereas the other two were filthy and filthier, but it's not right for us so we decided we'd buy our way out of the contract.  It's been a costly lesson, but everything else went wrong with our move, so it's not surprising!

Try Malta Park every day, that's where we found our new one.  It's a new build with brand new never been used furniture,  so there is stuff out there if you keep looking. We've made sure this time that we've asked all the questions and forum H is being signed. We saw the same one on 'noagentsplease', they don't seem to have much, but it might be worth looking there as well.

dont buy a dishwasher thats what you have children for lol

your right thought take your time and make sure your happy its a big choice and you dont want to rush into anything and regret later

Dishwashers use chemicals other than the usual detergents. Those chemicals will add to the contamination of the water.

robpw2 wrote:

dont buy a dishwasher thats what you have children for lol

your right thought take your time and make sure your happy its a big choice and you dont want to rush into anything and regret later

When we walked in to this apartment to find no dishwasher, you'd have thought there was a death in the family. lol.  There was a button on the wall that suggested there was one, but an empty space in the cupboard. I suppose it's what you're used to, but we've always had one so to us it would be like going without a washing machine now.

redmik wrote:

Are you really surprised that one person tells you one thing and another person tells you different?
C'mon, these are sales people, usually on commission and this is Malta.
I have PM'd you details of a person I recommend being quite a rare person in this business, one with integrity.
(And no, I have nothing to gain.)

Im not surprised at all, though since this first guy was someone who a Swedish blogger who I've spoken to a lot about malta recommended me I thought he would be one of the trustworthy ones.

Thanks

Be very careful about the utility tariffs.  Make sure you get your landlord to sign Arms Form H before you sign the rental contract to allow you to access the correct residential tariff for people living in their primary residence.  (moderated: no free ads here please)

Read this, again. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425461

Johanna MacRae wrote:

Be very careful about the utility tariffs.  Make sure you get your landlord to sign Arms Form H before you sign the rental contract to allow you to access the correct residential tariff for people living in their primary residence.  (moderated: no free ads here please)

What is arms form H? I thought I only needed to be sure the bills were in my name. Please explain further.

https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

You don't need to put the bills in your name (and in fact it can cost a big deposit to do so).

Arms Form H is the form you need to fill in, with your landlord, which tells Arms how many people are living in the place. The bills can stay in the landlord's name, but he will have to declare that he is renting the property out, in order for you to qualify for the residential rate (and not be stuck on the more expensive domestic rate).

Here's a link to the form:

slanted wrote:

You don't need to put the bills in your name (and in fact it can cost a big deposit to do so).

Arms Form H is the form you need to fill in, with your landlord, which tells Arms how many people are living in the place. The bills can stay in the landlord's name, but he will have to declare that he is renting the property out, in order for you to qualify for the residential rate (and not be stuck on the more expensive domestic rate).

Here's a link to the form:

thats just it slanted - they dont have to declare the rents in order for the tenant to get the lower rates - they should for taxation purposes - but many dont  -whether they sign form H or not......

Then why the reluctance on the part of some landlords? We're in our third rented place, and it's the first time we've had a landlord who is happy to get us on to the residential rate.

Why do others refuse, if they don't have to declare that they're renting out, anyway? I just don't understand!

because they are worried that ARMs will expose their tax evasion  - but its not a requirement in order for a tenant to have the lower rate

it would be entirely illegal for the Utility compnay to use that information for that purpose - data protection act prevent sit... however i will say that the massive distrust of the maltese of any government dept is more than likely to be a contributory factor to the matter

What do you guys recommend me to do to get the lower rates? Will they have the form already or is it something I should bring with me? Or is it filled in online?

I'm only on my smartphone so really need help on what I should do to make sure I get the lower rates.

In my experience it just depends on the landlord. Our previous two landlords simply refused. Our current landlord suggested it before we even asked.

You could refuse to rent a place unless the landlord will agree. If you are going through an agent, tell them to only show you properties where the landlord will endorse Form H, so as not to waste anyone's time.

Johanna MacRae wrote:

What is arms form H? I thought I only needed to be sure the bills were in my name. Please explain further.

Of course you could always look on the Arms website yourself!
The bills do not have to be in your name, just that you are registered together with your family as residents.
You will see a list of downloadable forms, so download form H and fill in your bit, get your prospective landlord to do his bit and take the form to the office yourself, or post it.(If he won't sign it you can walk away).
Alternatively, you can negotiate a lower rent and not worry too much as the difference, in practice, for a couple, it's probably only going to be 20 or 30  euros a month in an average property. (Assuming you are given the bill by the landlord and do do not just pay what he says!)
This link should take you to the form.

Hope this helps
Ray

I don't know where I can go to print the form though. As said I'm only on my phone and this is all I have.

What's the approx monthly difference in having it filled in or not?

I don't know where I can go to print the form though. As said I'm only on my phone and this is all I have.

What's the approx monthly difference in having it filled in or not?

See my post above re cost difference.

As regards printing the form off, either go into the Arms office and pick up a form or you could go into one of the many hotels that have computers for customer use (May be a small charge), download the form and ask them to print it off for you.

Ray

Thanks

Bye, what is the address to the office if I decide to go there?

Btw not bye, damn auto correct :P

Bye, what is the address to the office if I decide to go there?

The following is from the ARMS website:-

Contact Us:

Between 8am and 4pm on our free phone 8007 2222 for assistance regarding queries related to your service or bill.

E-mail at [email protected]

Postal address: ARMS Ltd. P.O. Box 63, Marsa, MRS 1000, Malta

Contact Centres:

Gattard House, National Road, Blata l-Bajda, Malta
ARMS Offices, Old Bakery Street, Valletta, Malta
ARMS Offices, Capuchins Street, Victoria, Gozo
Office of the permanent delegation of Malta to Unesco, Soil Street, Xewkija

Opening Hours Monday to Friday from 8am till 1.30pm in winter and till noon in summer.

Not sure about the address in Xewkija though!

Ray

Have you considered going to an internet cafe to conduct your searches etc?
They are cheap enough!!!

You could also have read, as previously suggested, item 28 in the article
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425461
in which it states:............................

28    Make sure you are named on the bills as named registered consumers on the account holder/owners bills, or get your bills in your own name - if you don't you may have problems later and you could undoubtedly end up paying more than you should. Ask your landlord to complete ARMS Form H to ensure that you, your family or anyone else legally residing with you, are registered as occupants.
Form H here:

This is for the Landlord to do and enables the renter to get the lowest tariff:

It makes one wonder.......................................why bother?

you can download the form and print it in an internet cafe complete it rescan it and send the application via post or email (at least you will receive an acknowledgement if you do so by email that they have received it) along with  supporting documents assuming the LL has signed and agreed  - but you will also need copies front and back of his id card too - lease document and passport will suffice for the rest.

NB its not unheard of them losing documents and applications by post.!!!!!

BTW just heard that if your landlord refuses form H - you can write a letter as the tenant of your primary residence and take it with you along with the said incomplete form H explaining the refusal.. and as long as you have all the other required documents it will be accepted....

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/natio … SKfUfmUcav

this article and importantly the 2nd last paragraph is the important one (to print and take with you) clearly states

"The energy minister (ie Konrad Mizzi) told MaltaToday that ARMS Ltd was also ready to accept a letter by the tenant confirming that the residents were living in the particular rented property.
"We are currently looking at the different ways to improve the situation and to ensure proper fairness," Mizzi said.

so everyone caught by this shambles please take note and take the document with you to claim your residential tariff - WITHOUT REQUIRING THE PERMISSION OF THE LANDLORD.

It was tested to day with success.....

Toon wrote:

so everyone caught by this shambles please take note and take the document with you to claim your residential tariff - WITHOUT REQUIRING THE PERMISSION OF THE LANDLORD.

Good news Toon. The only danger is that the landlord might be seriously pissed off if you have asked for the form H to be signed, he has point-blankly refused, but you've gone and had it done behind his back anyway. That is presuming that he notices the number of residents has changes to > 0 when the next bill arrives in his name. My guess is he would.

It's already difficult enough trying to get your deposit back in this country at the end of the contract, having to do something like that would be a sure-fire way of kissing your deposit goodbye.

I also think that unfortunately life would become very difficult for the tenant if they chose to take that line of action, very difficult indeed.