Cost of living in Penang - is 17k RM good salary?

Hi All,

Although i have went through a couple of posts on this forum regarding cost of living in Penang, however i would still want to go for experts advise.

I got job offer in Penang which is translating to around 17K RM of takehome (after 25% taxes and 26% PF contributions).. Bonus is extra.

I have some questions.

Is this amount sufficient to live a reasonable life with 2 kids going to international schools ?
I am looking for apartment near Tanjing Bungah, is this a good place ?

What other tentative figures can one expect in the following:

House Rent :
2 children education in international school:
Utilities (water, Set-Top Box, Internet, Mobile):
Groceries (only vegetarian, no alcohol):
Cost of financing a sedan car:

Kindly share your thoughts on the monthly expenses on penang.

Cheers
Neeraj

Its a good salary and easy to live on. You dont pay 26% for EPF - you only get 12% deducted from your salary and the employer should pay the rest - but of course I guess you could make other arrangements with them.

House Rent  RM6-8k in Tanjong Bungah but depends which school you choose whether its convenient
2 children education in international school RM4-5k
Utilities (water, Set-Top Box, Internet, Mobile) You forgot electricity RM600
Groceries (only vegetarian, no alcohol): RM1500 if you want dairy
Cost of financing a sedan car: Rental/Lease will be RM2-3k depending on model - if you want to buy then you need 30% downpayment.

Thanks for quick response. EPF - My employer contributes 15% and deducts 11% from mine. So overall it is 26%. How easy is it to get this back ?

Do we have good housing options in Tanjung Bungah in the range of 2500 - 3000 RM.. I would need a 2 BHK house - a decent society with good amenities (swimming pool, gym, etc).

Any good website to compare the price of cars in Penang ?

Cheers
Neeraj

When you leave the country and get your employment pass cancelled you then send proof to EPF and they take a couple of months to remit the funds.

Your budget for Tanjong Bungah is too low. Its an exclusive area. You would need to choose somewhere else. You would need to live in a condominium to get a pool and a gym.  Take a look on www.iproperty.com.my to see rental costs. Mininum rental will be RM3k in an old unit so need to revise. But if you are earning so much money, why be a cheapskate and not live in a proper place?  Surely your colleagues will expect you to live in a nice home and not a cheap substitute?

I have a further question on buying a car - i have heard that cars are expensive in Malaysia. I would want to buy a SUV for helping in travel (I have 2 kids). I will also need a small car for local commuting. There are lot of local and international brands available.

Can someone please help in identifying a good SUV for buying. I am fine to compromise with the brand but the average and absolute price is a key point. Similarly a small car (even second hand should be good).

What is the down payment percentage in Malaysia and what is the auto loan rate to expect. For instance how many RM per month on a loan of 100K RM for how many years.

Thanks in advance for this help.

The downpayment is 30% and the repayments usually over 5 years, but foreigners are often not granted credit because its uncertain how long they will stay in the country. Take a look at www.mudah.com.my for vehicle prices. You can get a brand new run around for RM60k but a SUV new will cost at least RM150k.

Thank You very much

Dear Shah

I think this is a handsome amount of money to live with two kids and a wife in Penang,

House Rent : @ 2000 + 500 utility total:                                  2500
2 children education in international school:1500 per kid total  3000                     
Utilities (water, Set-Top Box, Internet, Mobile):                           500
Groceries (only vegetarian, no alcohol):                                    1000
Cost of financing a sedan car:                                                     500

Total                                                                                           7500/-

Please go-ahead and have a nice time in Malaysia, its a fun living their people are very nice and loving wish you best of luck.

Regards

Akhtar Riaz
[email protected]

I have lived in KL for 12 years and Penang for the past three years.

Id say prices, especially food, is higher in Penang. The justification is that factory workers have more to spend which I think is nonsense. Other justifications include the cost of shipping goods from KL to Penang, costs of labor, costs of commercial rent. Seems to me salaries are less in Penang because there are fewer jobs, Island prices are higher than Penang-mainland prices because island expats are catered to there and so you pay more.

Choices of goods and services are less in Penang, for example there are few taxis, no LRT, lots of things are missing from the shelves which are abundant in KL. Costs of living in general are higher in Penang. I've learned to do without many things, I dont fight it anymore. I used to make shopping trips to KL, nowadays I ask KL friends to bring essential things I cant find in Penang and which will be cheaper from them.

Im sorry I came to Penang, it was a mistake. For me, a great place to visit for a weekend, very lousy place to live.

You are on the mainland I think CVCO?  The Island is much better.

Thank You Mr Akhtar Riaz for the reply. Really useful.

Regarding cost of financing a sedan car - i am planning to buy a SUV which enables me and my family (i have 2 kids - 9 years and 4 years) to travel long distances within Malaysia.

Can you suggest some good brand - i have heard that local brands are cheaper than imported ones (Toyota, Honda, etc). However i am really not aware about local brands having good SUV comparable to the imported ones.

Also what would usually be the down payment amount and the rate of interest on Vehicle Loan.

What are other taxes that we need to pay - either one time or on regular basis for owning any vehicle in Malaysia ?

Cheers
Neeraj

Hi Gravitas,

Can you please help understand - from recreation perspective - how is night life in Penang ? Do we have some good global multi-cuisine restaurants available there. I understand that it is a popular tourist destination, so i am assuming that there will be lot of water sports avenues there.

Is it easy (and possible ?) to drive from Penang to Thailand ? I heard that it is possible to drive to Singapore - is this correct ?

Within Malaysia, what the best tourist spots - KL, Langkawi, ?

Cheers
Neeraj

There are some foreign brands of cars that are assembled in Malaysia and they are available at competitive prices because of that arrangement i.e. compared to local car price/performance conditions. The down payment is 30% of the purchase price of a vehicle. The term is usually 5 years max, but because expats stay short times (not always are employment passes extended) it can be difficult to get a loan and a local guarantor is required. Road tax and insurance are the other costs involved. RT is based on the cc of the engine and starts to rise abruptly for 2 ltr and above. It is around RM300 per year at 1.9 ltr and low for small engines. Good to bring with you confirmation of your no claims bonus on current insurance to arrange better terms here.

Thank you for your reply, JUST BUY MYVI 1300CC or 1600CC both are as good, I use to used MYVI 1300CC, and traveled all over Malaysia with my family of 4 persons, I am my self my wif and two kids 15 yrs and 12 yrs.

Actually being a foreigner you cannot take a car on installment from any bank of Malaysia either you can buy on cash or if some body who is already using installment car you can take from him, for this you can use "Mudah.my" this a buy and purchase site of Malaysia.

You can buy an secondhand car Seller Says

1999' PROTON WIRA 1.5 GLI (M) FOR SALES~!!!

SELLING @ RM5,800 ONLY~!!!
Make    Proton
Model    Wira
Type    Sedan
Transmission    Manual
Engine Capacity    1500 cc
Mileage    190 000 - 199 999
Reg. Year    1999
Mfg. Year    1999

This is just an example for your help now its depend on you budget how much you can afford to buy a car.

Regards

Akhtar Riaz

A small word of warning about buying second hand cars is to check whether they are on instalments because if not you pay the price and then get to continue paying the monthly charges. Continued Loan vehicles are can be illegal in Malaysia if the financing house is not advised of the change of ownership (i.e. loan is paid up) and the insurance is not changed into new owner's name. Best to buy from a reputable dealer. I agree that a SUV (2/4 WD selection) is more comfortable and safe for long distances and also road holding in extreme wet weather conditions.

It OK to drive to Thailand - I have done it about 8 times.  This thread may be useful

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=395490

Penang to Singapore at least a 8-9 hours journey.
Penang to Phuket is about the same

Watersports - well if you really do want to get into the water (its none too clean or wholesome) there are some at Batu Ferringhi in the tourist zone.

Nightlife will depend on your general location. Its mainly in conjunction with shopping malls, so look there first. But there are small areas on various streets that have pubs and bars. I find Penang very expensive for beer - cheaper in KL if you know where to look. But the prices are based on the time of day you make the purchase. So early doors can be cheaper or happy hours.

There are the usual spread of hotels and fine dining restaurants, alongside more budget options. Signing up to Groupon can introduce some places to try out. Buffets are particularly popular.

Places to visit in Malaysia - most beautiful are the islands off the east coast and also off Sabah West coast (Kota Kinabalu). You can also climb Mount KK. Rainforests and orang-utans as well. Do not venture off the east coast of Sabah because there have been quite a few incidents there in the last year. Langkawi - OK but not really anything special and you have to be very careful which hotel you choose - I find it overpriced as well for good accommodation and food. Although tax free - somehow it is not reflected in prices in resorts and only in shop purchases. Some people like the couple of islands off Lumut (level with Ipoh on west coast).

Thank You guys for this valuable information. Very useful.

I am planning to move next month and will have to initially rent a hotel till i rent an apartment. I am planning to eventually rent an apartment either in Tanjung Bungah or Gurney Drive area. Any recommendations on which one out of them is preferable to live. Also i will need some recommendations on a good serviced apartment for initial 20-30 days.

Any recommendation on a reasonable car rental for initial days and a good Mobile operator with reasonable call rates - atleast to India :-).

Thanks
Neeraj

The two areas you mention are about the most expensive on Penang Island so best to check out your budget against availability on www.iproperty.com.my

Umobile is popular telephone company.

Serviced apartments between the two locations you mention can be found in the Straits Quay area.

Check the Directory above for suggestions for car hire providers or http://mayflowercarrental.com.my/

While Gurney Drive is a convenient location for shopping, it is now a semi motorway, as the street has been made into a one way road and has quite heavy traffic because of the local facilities, hotels and shopping malls (Paragon Gurney and Gurney Plaza). There is a main road which goes almost along the coast up to BF, so it does tend to be heavily trafficked and polluted. So best to get away from main roads if possible.

Thank You Gravitas for quick response. Very useful.

Its always best to live close to where you will be working. If that is in the southern end of Penang (i.e. that is where all the firms are located), there are plenty of choices there as well. The second Penang bridge is functioning and a convenient link to peninsular Malaysia. The main hub in the south is Queensbay.

My office would be in Bayan Lepas. However, would want to send my kids to either Uplands or Tenby. Hence looking something near Tanjung Bungah or Gurney Drive. Any good recommendations for 3 BHK Apartment (Around 1200 - 1330 Sq.Ft fully furnished) there. I see lot of listings on iproperty.my but am not able to figure out holistically (nearness to convenience stores, bust stops, good views, etc).

Behind Gurney Drive is an area called Pulau Tikas and you could try and search on that. There are shops absolutely everywhere. Not sure about the bus situation though.

http://www.propertyguru.com.my/penang/pulau-tikus

Dear Sir,
I saw your posting that you want to purchase a SUV. By the way i have a SUV for sale.
I am looking for a buyer to buy my SUV which is a Honda Model.
Hope you can get in touch with me.
Thank you .
regards Patrick

Tanjung bungah SURIN is nice.
5 minutes drive to Tenby International School.

Patchoong wrote:

Dear Sir,
I saw your posting that you want to purchase a SUV. By the way i have a SUV for sale.
I am looking for a buyer to buy my SUV which is a Honda Model.
Hope you can get in touch with me.
Thank you .
regards Patrick

Thanks Patrick for the note. Can you please send more details and pics of the SUV.

Regards
Neeraj

Dear  Sir,
Mind giving me your email address so that i can send you the vehicle picture that you requested.
By the way for your information i am the owner of the vehicle and not a agent .
Hope to hear from you soon .
Thank you

@ neeraj_shah > If you are still looking to buy a car, i invite you to post an ad in the classifieds > Cars for sale in Kuala Lumpur section. It is more appropriate.

@ Patchoong > Please note that offering your services ( advertising)  is prohibited. Thank you for getting registered in the business directory.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers: