Latest VISA legislation?

Hello all,

My wife (Kenyan) and I are considering a move to the madness of Saigon (HMC). I have been reading up on the visa procedures and extensions and ran into some conflicting information. Could someone shine a light on the latest information? Especially the (tourist) visa extensions.

We are looking for a period of (min) 2 years of staying in HMC/ Vietnam and (for now) no intention of employment. We understand that we can't get any other visa than a tourist visa for the moment, which is no problem. Our concerns are the extensions. Please reply or refer to post with current situation and/or recommendations.

Thanks for the effort!

Here's the thing in Viet Nam, nobody knows what's going on ,not even the officials. Best thing to do is do visa runs seeing as you are not going to work,you get a holiday plus less hassles than dealing with arsehole agents and immigration.

You'll have to do your own research, both here on the blog and the www

However, this here was posted a few days ago in the local papers:

The Vietnamese Ministry of Finance is drafting a new visa rule that will increase the fees for foreigners and overseas Vietnamese.

A single-entry visa for foreigners and overseas Vietnamese is proposed to be US$45, instead of the current $25, according to the draft decree.

The fees to get a multi-entry visa vary depending on the time of validity, the ministry said.

A multi-entry visa with a validity of below three months currently costs $50, but the finance ministry wants it to be $65.

As for the multi-entry visa with a validity of more than six months, which can now be applied for $100, the new fee could be a maximum $255.

more here: http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/27087/vie … vietnamese

How to destroy your tourism industry and not bat an eyelid.

For me I applied for a 3 month Visa with the intention of being employed as a teacher by the end of the visa.  If not, then I'm going to Cambodia for a few days and coming back until I get hired.  If I were you, grab a 3 month visa, buy a cheap motorbike, enjoy life, and take a vacations to Cambodia four times a year.  If you can afford it without a job then it sounds like the life to me.  :top:

snake77 wrote:

Asking the right questions to the people on ground seems to be part of the research. Funny enough your quite clear answer led me to have a look at your contributions and questions on the various topics... Did you get your North Face shorts?

Anyway, I based my question on this post: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=434803 - since this is not what the www told me.

I'm not here to be rude or bash other people, so I have to thank you. You, maybe unwillingly, and the other people have actually given me latest break down on the visa melee of Vietnam. Not sure if you intended to be helpful, but thanks!

The heart is always in the right place; it's normally the mouth which lines up differently...

Subzero_Cool wrote:
snake77 wrote:

Asking the right questions to the people on ground seems to be part of the research. Funny enough your quite clear answer led me to have a look at your contributions and questions on the various topics... Did you get your North Face shorts?

Anyway, I based my question on this post: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=434803 - since this is not what the www told me.

I'm not here to be rude or bash other people, so I have to thank you. You, maybe unwillingly, and the other people have actually given me latest break down on the visa melee of Vietnam. Not sure if you intended to be helpful, but thanks!

The heart is always in the right place; it's normally the mouth which lines up differently...

Subzero_Cool,

My post was not intended to be rude. However, in my opinion you should have noticed that this topic has been beaten to death here on the blog.

Furthermore, you will notice that there have been many changes and not even the authorities seem to understand it all.

That said, I posted the URL to the article where they have a nice table which may help you to understand current regulations a bit better.

And I didn't buy North Face shorts, just pointed out where they could be found.

Hope this link will help.The content was updated in Jan 2015. Also, there will be changes in Visa in the future (you can see from the tuoitrenews....) but now there is no official date, I think.

This appears to be the official governmen website, explaining new visas in Vietnam.
It's all in English, French, German or Vietnamese.

http://visa.mofa.gov.vn/

There is a heap of good info on all of the different visas.
They even explain about your photo requirements, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

colinoscapee wrote:

I don't see how that is destroying the tourism industry. If you are tourist - then 3 months is more than enough.

If you are staying for >3months, you aren't a tourist anymore - but a long term resident.

simon.1711 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I don't see how that is destroying the tourism industry. If you are tourist - then 3 months is more than enough.

If you are staying for >3months, you aren't a tourist anymore - but a long term resident.

Your joking,it's April first.

simon.1711 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Colinoscapee is right, see here:

Vietnam suffered a record fall in the number of foreign tourist visits in March, keeping its downward trend for the tenth consecutive month, statistics show.

Foreigners paid 543,300 tourist visits to Vietnam last month, down 23.4 percent compared to the same period last year, the General Statistics Office said in a quarterly report released Monday.

Vietnam has reported slumping tourist arrival numbers for ten months in a row, and the latest is the highest-ever recorded.....

....Vietnam fails to provide visitors with a wide variety of tourism products, supply them with an adequate source of supporting information, and apply flexible visa rules, while it is also unable to launch effective marketing campaigns to lure vacationers worldwide.....

whole article here: http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/27189/vi … val-number

It simply hasn't got the WOW factor.  The fun police seem to scupper anything that does. Besides, we have possibly the lowest return rate of tourists. Thailand has 55% of people coming back.  We have less than 5%.  It's a whistle stop tour destination. Fly into one end , and fly out the other. Most people come here to "tick it off" and a lot leave with a bad taste because of the scamming and lies.   

Nha Trang is known as "Moscow by the Sea".  That is not a tag anyone wants. 

Bali gets some bad press, but people can't wait to go back and it's more expensive than here.  It has a different ambience, it's all about the customer experience.  Too many people leave here disappointed , and I speak to a lot of tourists. 

We all know a lot of Vietnamese have no idea of repeat business.   They wil cheat the customer at every opportunity.   Word soon gets around.

Yogi007 wrote:

It simply hasn't got the WOW factor.  The fun police seem to scupper anything that does. Besides, we have possibly the lowest return rate of tourists. Thailand has 55% of people coming back.  We have less than 5%.  It's a whistle stop tour destination. Fly into one end , and fly out the other. Most people come here to "tick it off" and a lot leave with a bad taste because of the scamming and lies.   

Nha Trang is known as "Moscow by the Sea".  That is not a tag anyone wants. 

Bali gets some bad press, but people can't wait to go back and it's more expensive than here.  It has a different ambience, it's all about the customer experience.  Too many people leave here disappointed , and I speak to a lot of tourists. 

We all know a lot of Vietnamese have no idea of repeat business.   They wil cheat the customer at every opportunity.   Word soon gets around.

Sadly I have to agree, and so are many of the tourist companies.

http://visa.mofa.gov.vn/ has all of the new visas listed in detail.
They are in fact much better than the old system where I had to get a business visa for 3 month stay.
I paid $68 total for my 3 month single entry DL visa.
Extensions are $80 at the moment. But I see this going down in the next few months.

To those critics out there, get your facts straight. The article you referenced referred to reduction in Chinese tourists because of a dispute between China and Vietnam where China forcefully put oil platforms off the Vietnamese coast.

This topic is about VISAS. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC and don't waste our time.

Don't do it. Too many hassles with Visas and all that stuff. Find a friendlier and less hot and humid country to spend your time. Are you running from the government or something else in your life? Remember, it is easy to send money to Vietnam, but next to impossible to send it out. Maybe a good place to hide if somebody is trying to get your money, hehehe . . .  Good luck !

pslemmons wrote:

Don't do it. Too many hassles with Visas and all that stuff. Find a friendlier and less hot and humid country to spend your time. Are you running from the government or something else in your life? Remember, it is easy to send money to Vietnam, but next to impossible to send it out. Maybe a good place to hide if somebody is trying to get your money, hehehe . . .  Good luck !

Not true about sending money out, if you keep the bank statement or any documentation to show what you brought in, then that is what you can take out. I have done this and as long as you have the required paperwork they can't stop you.

this one is very old news, almost 2 years old.
but tat news was true and already implemented.

Now since this January, rules have been changed again and became more strict.
and category of visa cannot be changed if once entered and staying in VN.

This was actually very helpful.  It seems like some of those other posts were just frustrated people wanting to write to someone or should I say anyone.

Don't know why Vietnam has very strict regulation on visa. Just paid for a fortune a one year visa.

emmj wrote:

Don't know why Vietnam has very strict regulation on visa. Just paid for a fortune a one year visa.

How many $US is a fortune?

Because they want to rip you off.