Permanent Residency for Minors

Hi everyone. My family and I moved to Brasil about 5 years ago. My husband is Brasilian as are my 2 daughters. I am finally going to apply tor my PR so I can go back to the states for a visit, and with the new process I expect that it should  all go through with ease. My question is I have 2 boys (not Brasilian) ages 18 and 15.  They both entered Brasil with me 5 years ago as minors. How do I apply for them to get permanent residency?  If I get PR based on marriage-parent of Brasilian, will my boys also be eligible or will they have problems in applying?
Any advise is appreciated.
Thank you.
Brenda

Hi Brenda,

You won't have any problems with your own permanency since you're both married to a Brazilian and also mother of a Brazilian child. Apply based on the child (not on marriage) it is 100% guaranteed unlike any other form of permanency.

Your 15 year old son will also have no problem in applying for permanency based on familiy reunion since he's still a minor.

Your 18 year old son however might be a bit more problematic, since he's of the age of majority. Had you applied for permanency before he reached 18 there would have been no problems. As an adult, he's going to have to apply on his own and you're going to have to ask the Policia Federal exactly how to proceed with his application and if he's eligible to apply based on family reunion.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks James, I was afraid that the 18 year old would be a problem. I will have my husband see what he can find out. I truly appreciate all your help and all the information you have provided on this forum. It has helped me so much. Thank you again!!!

Just a quick last minute thought... has your Brazilian husband adopted either of the boys? If so then they  both qualify by having a Brazilian parent.

We started the adoption process here (in Brasil) about 2 years ago. We never heard anything about the case until this past  November when the judge requested the boys state ID cards. Of course they don't have one, that is what we were trying to accomplish by applying for the adoption.  They were both able to enroll in public school, and obviously have become fluent in Portuguese. They seem more Brasilato than "Gringo"  at this point. lol. So we are hoping that this will help him.