Pregnancy in Malta

Hi. I've just recently moved to the island and have found out I'm expecting.  Has anyone else had experience of pregnancy/birth here?

I'd like a verification scan, downs testing, gender and anomaly scan and to give birth as naturally as possible (already done it once with no problems). I was told that babies are still kept in a nursery after birth and that you have to stay in hospital for a minimum of two days (I'm not happy with either possibility)? Is there any truth to this? I also understand that the cesarean rate is high here?

I have a valid E111 card with me and am happy to pay for any private care I might need.

Advice very much appreciated.

Hi Alanaos,

if I understand you correctly then your move to Malta makes you a resident of Malta.

The E111 (Ehic) card only covers you for visits to other EU countries but not once you become resident. As a tourist routine maternity checks are covered but not the actual birth.

Once you become resident in another EU country your E111 becomes invalid even if the date covers 3 or even 5 years.

The Ehic is also not accepted for residency applications as proof of health insurance.

Cheers
Ricky

As you are happy to pay, go see a local GP and take the private route perhaps.
If you are working or if you are married and your husband/wife is working, or any other relationship is recognised and proven, then your SS contributions should cover all you need, unless what some of what you are asking for is considered 'extra' or 'unnecessary' out here.
But hey, as a man, what do I know?  :)

Hello

Thanks for the reply. As I only arrived this week I understood that I needed to be on the island for 3 months before I can apply for residency (correct me if I'm wrong, I hope so).  Do I have to have my residency to use the private system here too?

OK, see this:

This advice is applicable to EU citizens ONLY.

If you are an EU citizen you have a right to reside and work on the Maltese islands but you are required to inform the authorities within 90 days of arrival If seeking to reside beyond this time. (Job seeking exceptions apply when you may have up to 6 months). The method of informing the authorities is to complete their e-residence procedure and apply for the issue of an e-residence card. NB. This is NOT an ID card 'per se' but can also serve as such.
NB. A Malta ID card is for Maltese citizens and contains biometric information and may be used as a travel document within the Schengen area.
A Malta EResidence card is for those other than Maltese citizens. It is a registration document and does not contain biometric information and is not a valid travel document..

Full article here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

If you see a GP before you are given your eResidence card you can use your passport.

Thanks, I'll get that sorted ASAP. Does anyone have any info about the actual type and standard of care that can be expected here (as per the queries in my original post and anything else which might be different to how things are done in the UK?).

As an Economically Self Sufficient resident I understand that I must have Health Insurance (which I do), however this does not cover pregnancy.  Does anyone know if I'm I entitled to any state health care for this pregnancy or must I go entirely down the private route?

Many thanks to all who've already replied and tried to help :-)

Read the article and see if you are entitled to Health Care under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement.
Are you a UK citizen?

From what I know from friends who have given birth here (both at the public hospital, and privately), standard of care is very high, you have your baby with you all the time (he or she won't be taken to a hospital nursery), and they like to keep you in for two nights (or five nights if you need a c-section). However, you are free to discharge yourself at any time, and it's not usually a problem.

Screening for Down's syndrome isn't routine - the reason usually given is that there's no point, since abortion is illegal in Malta. Of course, you may wish to know in advance even if you don't plan to terminate. That's not to say you can't get  screening:  at a private hospital you can have the nuchal scan, and also the Harmony blood test. I'm not sure about amniocentesis - if it's something you want then check with the hospital you'll be using (and also check how experienced the doctor who will be performing the procedure is, when it comes to doing amniocentesis!).

Oh yes - the c-section rate here is relatively high, but no one's going to force you to have one. It's just that it's quite easy to get one if that's what you'd prefer.

Thanks Slanted. That's cleared up my main concerns. I'm still very early days so nothing is decimate for a good few more weeks yet. I think if it came to needing amniostensis Id probably go back to the UK for it (not that the result would change my continuation with the pregnancy but it's good to prepare yourself should something not be quite right).

I'm a UK citizen.

You can also mix and match your care. As well as going to UK for certain tests, if you are resident here and can access state care at the Mater Dei for the birth, there is nothing to stop you from having regular antenatal tests and screening at a private hospital, which you can pay for by each appointment

Can you go back to the UK for treatment if you are not resident there or would you pay for that?
The NHS is residence based and a lot of non UK residents are being chased for payment now.

I think redmilk is right and you would have to pay for treatment if you were to visit the UK.

UK state pensioners living outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and those visiting from countries that have a healthcare agreement with the UK are also entitled to free hospital treatment, but not pre-planned treatment or treatment that can await their return home.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1086.aspx

redmik wrote:

UK state pensioners living outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and those visiting from countries that have a healthcare agreement with the UK are also entitled to free hospital treatment, but not pre-planned treatment or treatment that can await their return home.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1086.aspx

It is also (for UK state pensioners) worth referring to this link posted by 'Toon'.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- … o-nhs-care

(Not much help for pregnancy in Malta though!)

Ray

What's the quote you got for the cost if you don't mind me asking? I wanted to ask but never got around to going back into Mater Dei to ask. After that we went to France and got quoted €4000 in the financial department in chateaudun in France. I may have to pay to have our second child there so it would be nice to have a idea. Thanks

I haven't had a quote for the full price yet but the a scan is €55 and a normal pregnancy check up is €40.  This is with St James Hospital.

Hi, Do you or your partner have a job here? If yes, your Mater Dei exams should be free as the birth as well.
I gave birth twice in Malta, only my husband was employed that time and it was no problem. But we are EU citizens not from the UK.
(Giving birth in St. James is around 1,500 Euros for natural births and 3,200 Euros for C-sections.)

I come under the 'self occupied' banner but I'm still waiting for my ID card.  Until this comes through I have to use the private system.

Malta has been one of my fav places to visit since I was a little girl. Last summer I went to malta to visit my parents for a little break and was 41/2 month pregnant. Unfortunately I was on a bumpy bus ride and my water broke. I had no water in me and developed an infection.( similar to a case in Ireland) the doc had refused to induce me as it is illegal in malta as it would be considered abortion. Only 1 of 4 countries in the world left like this. This was not and an abortion I was very sick and very scared for my health. I wanted nothing more than to have this boy. I also have a little girl that I need to stay heathy for and with hope to try again. I just wanted to let expats know about these laws as it could put a women's life/ Heath at risk. I was then flown out by air ambulance to Paris where I got the necessary care I needed. I hope everyone a heathy/happy pregnancy in malta as it was the opposite for me.
M

Wow, what a story. I'll keep that in mind. €1500 don't sound too bad for my next one

Has anyone else heard about not being able to register middle names on the birth certificate here? Apparently if you put down more than one name they'll put them all in the 'first name' box... Which will no doubt cause issues down the line. Annoying.