Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and other areas to settle in the North

Hi, I'm a newbie nomad to this forum. I've travelled to the North here over many years and am looking to settle in the North here for awhile. Chiang Mai has always had its attraction for me but have found the last 3 months based here in Chiang Mai a challenge. I feel it's time to explore other areas in the North as a future base. The struggling infrastructure & rampant real estate development here in Chiang Mai city will make life a challenge for anyone who chooses to live here.
Admittedly, I have been based  inner city,in a great condo but the traffic pollution and haze takes its toll. Possibly a house further afield may suit me but don't wish to be isolated within the suburbs.
I do plan to check out  Chiang Rai and other areas as possible bases.
Do peoples here have  thoughts/experiences of living in other cities/communities in the North here that they wish to share.

Hi Michael,

welcome here. I settle in Chiang Mai more in the south are Hang Dong, I dont drive to the city as there are evrything I need around. Honestly that depends on your living style what you are looking, some people will live in Doi Saket or Mae Rim, price will be cheaper there, maybe they dont have the constraint I have to be not too far from international school for my daughter. You can find nice place in Nam Phrae, there is others place in the south of Chiang Mai like Lamphun not too far and Lampang.

I did spend just few days in Chiang Rai and Mae Sai in the past for visa run, don't forget Chiang Rai was the most affected by the earthquake. It was not long enough to judge about living there.

Recently the level of pollution was very high in Chiang Mai and reached some records due to farmer burning their land in Thailand and others neighbour countries.

If you have to travel there is as you know international airport in Chiang Mai, better to find an accomodation not on the pathway of the planes as it can be really noisy, and we never know if a crash happen.

If you look for a natural surrounding, mountain, etc you can find it in Chiang Mai, personally I always avoid city centre but everybody have different objectives in their mind.

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, there are many areas here in Chiangmai that I must checkout. One of them is the area around the handicraft village and you've mentioned others too. I have friends in Doi Saket plus I like the Mae Rim area. Many places to explore yet.

Michael29 wrote:

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, there are many areas here in Chiangmai that I must checkout. One of them is the area around the handicraft village and you've mentioned others too. I have friends in Doi Saket plus I like the Mae Rim area. Many places to explore yet.

The handicraft village is Ban Tawai ( http://www.ban-tawai.com/attraction.php ), not far from Hang Dong post office and Hang Dong market down the road 108 on your left after the market, there are many gated communities areas down in Hang Dong like Rung Arung 3, I know they are building a consominium there also called ALPS ( http://www.pointgreygroup.com/#!the-alps/c1t4g ), the google map will help you to locate the area.

If you are looking for something in Hang Dong area just let's me know as I live in this area, there are plenty of expats every where and nice moo ban ( Koolpunt 8, 9, Lanna pinery, sansaran, world club land, lanna pinery, lanna montra, home in park, masterpiece scenery hill, rung arung 3, rungarroonville, ... some also close to the royal flora rajapruek and night safari, but Mae Hia is more expensive, you can find mooban like : siwalee land and house, ban nai fan, emperor 1, living together, etc.....

Michael:

I'm really interested in what you find...we don't move there until mid November and since reading your blog I'm thinking that we should not even thinking about being in the City because of the traffic and pollution.  Frankly we are at a loss on where to start looking so anything you find out we would really appreciate if you would pass it onto us.

Patty Warne