What kind of housing can one rent for 10K Baht?

I am seriously considering a move to BK w/in the next year.  I am a single, older American male.  I am not opposed to shared housing.  How far will 10,000 baht/mo go towards rent?

Bangkok is big, do you have any idea of which district, sub district you want to leave ?

If you filter just Bangkok in properties website like DDproperty.com ( english version available ) that is sure you will find many below 10K ( condo and house ) it will be outside the city centre, far from biusiness and toiurist areas, certainly not in the area you would like to live and not to the standard you are looking for.

Hello doctorgroove

Try to check out the rental proposals in our Housing in Bangkok section of the forum to have an idea what rental you may have for such budget :top:

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

10k Baht or $300 won't go far in Bangkok.  basically u can find an unfurnished ( new ) room with bathroom, elevator and A/C.  so u need to buy furniture and pay utilities.  plus you'll spend more money and time commuting since it will be somewhere towards the airport area.

the most basic furnished room in "downtown" Bangkok with private bathroom, tv, housekeeping and linen costs 15k or $500.

although a budget of $300 can go a long way in Pattaya; some semi- furnished houses / villas ( 2 bedroom ) can be found in gated communities catering to expats and locals.  whereas unfurnished rooms can be had for even $200 a month near all the action in Pattaya.

so it depends on what u want to do in Bkk; otherwise Pattaya is a valid alternative for long stay and Bkk for the weekends.

You may find Chiang Mai a more interesting environment than Bangkok. For me BKK its just a pretty typical concrete jungle of a city, with lots of urban problems, and there is closer touch with the local culture in other cities. You may also be able to get better accommodation right in the middle of things at other locations, which will raise your quality of life a great deal.

The website numbeo.com will provide you average rent per month in BKK as below

Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre              16,882.88 THB
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre       10,750.00 THB
Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre            51,678.57 THB
Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre       25,846.15 THB   

It is an average rent but it show you a coefficient 1.6 to 2 between city entre and outside city centre.

More details can be found in below link for your informations :
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … ty=Bangkok

Yes, i agree with the posts above. basically 10k a month is not very much possible in city of Bangkok. Currently the cheaper rentals is approximately 18k. You can split this with a room mate (if you can find any) and share the space. 18k to be split to 2.

You should be able to find a furnished studio apartment for that amount within walking distance of sky train.

The subject of "what kind of housing can one rent for 10K Baht?" is very subjective.

Assuming it's in Bangkok, 2 factors are important, what location you wish to stay and how far you are traveling to work.

For 10K, one can stay in a 4 floors shop house near Chitlada Palace. It has 5 bedrooms.

You can stay in a private housing estate and the only road going into the housing estate. Besides residents vehicles, only 2 types of vehicles are allowed in. Garbage and sewerage vehicles, thus it's safe and quiet in there.

The house is bungalow with 2 floors. 3 bedrooms upstairs & master room as it's own bathroom. Bath tub and big wardrobe in the bathroom. You can put a table for 3 diners in the bathroom.

Big garden at the back that you can park 2 cars and a small house for maid with attached bathroom.

Garage has remote control shutter gate and can park 2 medium size Japanese cars.

There is living room; dining room and kitchen.

It's at the fringe of Bangkok and once you pass that traffic light is another province.

There are so many houses in Bangkok or surrounding areas like Nonthaburi; Thonburi; Pathum Thani.

On Thonburi side there is BTS and coming soon to Nonthaburi. As for Pathum Thani, it will be 3 - 4 years later.

Thailand is different from other countries and don't depend on web site or agent because they get half month to 1 month commission from house owners.

These agents will prefer to have high rental fees as they get more commission.

Rent a car or book a taxi. Go around and look for the house. If you can't speak Thai, get a friend to help.

Many houses put up signs in front of house and call them. Speak to them direct.

If you had decided on the house then negotiate on the price. There is a trick to squeeze lower price again if you have deep pockets hehe

I prefer house than condo as there are space. Besides I can cook and all utilities bills are paid direct to utilities companies.

Usually condo don't allow LPG gas cylinder so you need to use electric stove thus electric bill is more costly.

Condo utilities bills can be high as you pay to the condo management company and they make profits.

Living in a studio apartment is like a standard or deluxe hotel room. If short term is fine but on long term, I felt like living in a prison cell.

Doing laundry is difficult again as you may use the coin slot washing machine and dry in your limited space balcony.

Anyway the choice is yours on housing and prices.

Usually 10K will get you a Studio Condo (30sqm) somewhere in outer Bangkok.
Most Foreigners on a tight budget move to Onnut and beyond but still within 1KM to a BTS station.
Remember that when renting, most owners will request a 2 month Deposit + 1 Month advance.  :
Not forgetting, you will cover Electricty & Water. D

Hi
for 10k is possible to find an apartment in Bangkok which is not that luxury.
If you want a condo Bangkok at least need 10k+ depends on the locations.

AND DONT FORGET YOU NEED EXTRA PAY FOR THE RENTING DEPOSIT

10K baht a month................will go a long way in the medium luxury class

check out MN Place ( they have web site) around  Sukomvitt 62
about  $ 1   scooter taxi to  BTS ( metro)  and  shopping centers

i live there for about one year before bying a place
paid about 7 k month    air com  one bedroom   kitchen  tv wifi  big outside balcony ----  has  pool    2 restaurants and a convienent store on the premises     
owner name is Gail       speaks english and thai
it s about 800 baht from airport  ( about 30-40 min)
many expats live there
she ask for one month deposit when you want long term
you can rent for short or long term

it s a good, clean  and safe place