Read this if you are planning on moving to Denmark...

Hi Expat-bloggers

Mackadamian here. I've been an expat in Denmark for 15 years now.
I've notice that there are a lot of posts from people asking about the same things over and over. So, I just wanted to present some things to think about, that I hope will set realistic expectations for you before deciding to move to here.

Danish language.

Written Danish is not the same as it is spoken. Speaking is not the same as you read it. Danish is a very phonetic language. 90% of the meaning is found in nuances of pronunciation. There are three extra vowels in the Danish alphabet which are virtually indistinguishable by ear for non-native speakers. They have a speaking technique called the "glottal stop". It is very difficult to do. However good you think you are at learning languages, Danish will be very difficult for you in the beginning... and if you do not take an intensive course at a good language school with native instructors. To my knowledge no good school exists outside of Denmark. Do not believe those people who say that they learned Danish quickly. You will not learn Danish to any usable degree within 3 months, 6 months, or even a years time. But you can start learning by using the internet before you get here.

Nationalism

Like many other European countries, Danish people (Danes) have become very anti-foreigner over the last 10 years or so. It will not be easy for you here if you come from somewhere else. Easier for some (Whites, Westerners, Europeans etc.), but not others. In general northern Europeans are very closed in the way they interact with others. It takes time before they will let you into their circle. And of course there is racism here as well. Not "in your face" racism, but subtle stuff that the Danes think is humorous. The Danes are not necessarily racist, but they are very very nationalistic. And there is a growing anti-muslim sentiment here.

Cost of living.

Denmark is not cheap. Renting a flat is not cheap. Public transport is not cheap. Food is not cheap. Nothing is cheap here!!! If you do not have a job already lined up, or enough money to live independently for a least a year, including funds for travel back to your home country at the end of your stay, then think thrice (3 times) before coming here. If you run out of cash, the Danish government is not going to help you! They have become very strict with their social system.

Accommodation

There is a shortage of affordable flats (apartments) in the major cities... especially Copenhagen. It is very very very difficult to find affordable living arrangements. It can take months to find a place of your own. If you do find something, it is probably a short term lease agreement for 1 - 8 months, possibly one year. There are local renting laws that affect length of leases as well. Be prepared to move on a regular basis if you are going to rent a flat. Do your research on this before you come.

Employment

Stop asking others on here to find a job for you!!! You have to do the work yourself. That you ask for help with things, that would be considered simple start tasks for finding jobs in any country, signals that you will have a hard time fitting into the work culture in Denmark, which in turn means that you will have a hard time finding meaningful work in Denmark. The work culture here is very independent and you will be expected to show initiative and to find out how to do things yourself. That said, be aware that:

Lots of people (including Danes) are unemployed here!
Lots of educated people are unemployed here!
Lots of educated and highly qualified people are unemployed here!

The job market is very competitive here. Almost everyone has a university education. If your education is not from Denmark or one of the prestigious American or English Universities, then it doesn't mean a thing to the Danes. So its best to talk about your skills and experience when searching for jobs.

The economy here is still shaky as with the rest of the European Union. Companies are very hesitant to hire new people, and those that do are playing it safe. That means that they are very particular about who they invite for interviews, and who they hire. They would rather have a young'ish Danish person with the competencies and experience of a 20 year industry veteran.  if you think you are going to come here and find a job in a week, or two. then think again. It is possible, but probably not likely. It will take you months. You will need to speak Danish to be considered for 90% of the jobs here... even the crappy jobs like cleaning or working in restaurants. But it is possible to find a job if you do not speak danish, but have a good command of English. Again, it will take some time to find these jobs.

This post is not to scare you, but just to give you a realistic view on what Denmark is like in 2015. This country and the attitudes of its people (like Europe in general) have changed quite a bit over the last 15 years. I have lived here for a while now, speak the language fairly well, and I have several graduate degrees including one from Denmark. I've held professional positions in major international companies in Denmark for over 12 years before I was layed-off during the economic crisis. I was not able to find a new job for over two years. The only jobs I was being considered for was working at the local supermarket or cleaning at an old-persons home.

So if you want to move to Denmark, make sure you do your homework and have a solid plan.

Hope this is useful.

Mackadamian

Well said and well written Mackadamian!

My son came here from the UK to University for two post-graduate masters degrees and for the two years that he was here, he could not even get a bar job to provide some pocket money. Despite being a professional DJ, hypnotherapist, film producer and having a fistful of first class honours degrees, no-one would employ him. He got by on teaching post-graduate philosophy by distance over the internet, which gave him a meagre income (pocket money by Danish standards). But he achieved his two masters.

I came here with a freelance job already lined up - I flew in the day before I started work and I thought I would have a studio or apartment within a week so booked a hotel for the first week. How wrong I was! It is EXTREMELY difficult and expensive to find accommodation here other than short term rooms, which are extremely sought after and the owner/letter has a pick of the choice of lodgers. That said, there are plenty of students with flat-shares, looking for lodgers, but expect to pay a lot for a little.

Do your research before you come to Denmark and find suitable accommodation that you can afford before you land here. I am still searching and I've moved 3 times in 3 weeks, with the next two moves planned for next month.

I couldn't agree more with Mackadamian's post.

Dear Mackadamian

Truth to be told, I am a bit disturbed with the fact that the sentiment of anti-muslim is growing as per highlighted. It concerns me because I am in the midst of hiring process and have give full commitment to the Hiring Manager for possible relocation to Denmark. I did raised this matter to the Hiring Manager during the interview (about perception against Muslim) and I was assured that religious is a private matter in which,  everyone have own freedom to practice their own belief as long as harmony is keep peaceful. However, I will keep forward the plan and shall embrace this issue as a challenge i must face.

Racism is everywhere, even in my country (Malaysia). We can't do anything. I have had also became a victim of racism when I was in London 2 years ago but I just let it go.

Thank you so much for the inputs. I really appreciate and grateful for your sincerity and putting an effort in letting know all these.

Best Regards

That's an excellent post....!!  :one

Mackadamian wrote:

Hi Expat-bloggers

Mackadamian here. I've been an expat in Denmark for 15 years now.
I've notice that there are a lot of posts from people asking about the same things over and over. So, I just wanted to present some things to think about, that I hope will set realistic expectations for you before deciding to move to here.

Danish language.

Written Danish is not the same as it is spoken. Speaking is not the same as you read it. Danish is a very phonetic language. 90% of the meaning is found in nuances of pronunciation. There are three extra vowels in the Danish alphabet which are virtually indistinguishable by ear for non-native speakers. They have a speaking technique called the "glottal stop". It is very difficult to do. However good you think you are at learning languages, Danish will be very difficult for you in the beginning... and if you do not take an intensive course at a good language school with native instructors. To my knowledge no good school exists outside of Denmark. Do not believe those people who say that they learned Danish quickly. You will not learn Danish to any usable degree within 3 months, 6 months, or even a years time. But you can start learning by using the internet before you get here.

Nationalism

Like many other European countries, Danish people (Danes) have become very anti-foreigner over the last 10 years or so. It will not be easy for you here if you come from somewhere else. Easier for some (Whites, Westerners, Europeans etc.), but not others. In general northern Europeans are very closed in the way they interact with others. It takes time before they will let you into their circle. And of course there is racism here as well. Not "in your face" racism, but subtle stuff that the Danes think is humorous. The Danes are not necessarily racist, but they are very very nationalistic. And there is a growing anti-muslim sentiment here.

Cost of living.

Denmark is not cheap. Renting a flat is not cheap. Public transport is not cheap. Food is not cheap. Nothing is cheap here!!! If you do not have a job already lined up, or enough money to live independently for a least a year, including funds for travel back to your home country at the end of your stay, then think thrice (3 times) before coming here. If you run out of cash, the Danish government is not going to help you! They have become very strict with their social system.

Accommodation

There is a shortage of affordable flats (apartments) in the major cities... especially Copenhagen. It is very very very difficult to find affordable living arrangements. It can take months to find a place of your own. If you do find something, it is probably a short term lease agreement for 1 - 8 months, possibly one year. There are local renting laws that affect length of leases as well. Be prepared to move on a regular basis if you are going to rent a flat. Do your research on this before you come.

Employment

Stop asking others on here to find a job for you!!! You have to do the work yourself. That you ask for help with things, that would be considered simple start tasks for finding jobs in any country, signals that you will have a hard time fitting into the work culture in Denmark, which in turn means that you will have a hard time finding meaningful work in Denmark. The work culture here is very independent and you will be expected to show initiative and to find out how to do things yourself. That said, be aware that:

Lots of people (including Danes) are unemployed here!
Lots of educated people are unemployed here!
Lots of educated and highly qualified people are unemployed here!

The job market is very competitive here. Almost everyone has a university education. If your education is not from Denmark or one of the prestigious American or English Universities, then it doesn't mean a thing to the Danes. So its best to talk about your skills and experience when searching for jobs.

The economy here is still shaky as with the rest of the European Union. Companies are very hesitant to hire new people, and those that do are playing it safe. That means that they are very particular about who they invite for interviews, and who they hire. They would rather have a young'ish Danish person with the competencies and experience of a 20 year industry veteran.  if you think you are going to come here and find a job in a week, or two. then think again. It is possible, but probably not likely. It will take you months. You will need to speak Danish to be considered for 90% of the jobs here... even the crappy jobs like cleaning or working in restaurants. But it is possible to find a job if you do not speak danish, but have a good command of English. Again, it will take some time to find these jobs.

This post is not to scare you, but just to give you a realistic view on what Denmark is like in 2015. This country and the attitudes of its people (like Europe in general) have changed quite a bit over the last 15 years. I have lived here for a while now, speak the language fairly well, and I have several graduate degrees including one from Denmark. I've held professional positions in major international companies in Denmark for over 12 years before I was layed-off during the economic crisis. I was not able to find a new job for over two years. The only jobs I was being considered for was working at the local supermarket or cleaning at an old-persons home.

So if you want to move to Denmark, make sure you do your homework and have a solid plan.

Hope this is useful.

Mackadamian

Amirul.i wrote:

I have had also became a victim of racism when I was in London 2 years ago but I just let it go.

Racism in London? By whom? The majority of London's population is foreign.

Hi XB

I wouldn't know who was that..but the incident is still fresh in my head. I dont blame them as i was (and still is) principally prepared to embrace that kind of experience with an open heart. Not everyone is like that, there are many good people out there and always  there are. It is fine. :-)

Amirul.i wrote:

Hi XB

I wouldn't know who was that..but the incident is still fresh in my head. I dont blame them as i was (and still is) principally prepared to embrace that kind of experience with an open heart. Not everyone is like that, there are many good people out there and always  there are. It is fine. :-)

Well the incident may not have been necessary racially motivated. Unless of course they made clear reference to it.

I think u guys are out of tropic....!!!

Hello All!

Careful not to go  :offtopic: let's remain in the main subject 'Planning to move to Denmark'

Thank you,
Marjorie