Finally on our way but still missing pieces of the puzzle

My, soon to be, 10 year old and I are finally on our way to Puerto Rico. We will be there the 2nd week in April but I still have not been able to find and secure a suitable rental house in the area of Adjuntas for $300 or less. I am guessing it is much like Costa Rica and you have to be there to find a well priced rental but I am worried about this situation. I am all up for adventure in most aspects of life but I don't consider homelessness an "adventure" type situation, LOL. I am really, really drawn to Adjuntas but we don't have to start out there. I would also be interested in the areas of Jayuya and Utuado. What I would most like is a rent to own situation while I wait for my property in Costa Rica to sell. I've tried contacting a few realtors but without success.

I am also looking for any recommendations for Puerto Rican import agents for my container. I was able to get a much better price by breaking the process up, i.e. pay for the ocean transport, then pay an export agent in CR, now pay an import agent in Puerto Rico. So far, with what the bill is at this point, I've saved thousands which is good because I don't have thousands to waste.

OK, thanks!

Have you tried Clasificados Online?  That site seems to be very popular for real estate, vehicles, merchandise, etc.  Best of luck with your move!

Yeah, good for you and how exciting!  Someone will come along and point in the right direction for your shipping container.  May I ask what made you decide PR over Costa Rica?

Yep. Clasificadosonline and Craigslist Puerto Rico are permanently opened tabs in my browser, *wink*. I was just wondering if, much like Costa Rica, it is the higher priced and harder to sell/rent places that get put on the internet. You can search all day long for rental houses in Costa Rica and you'll, generally, find $400 and up but, being local, I found a great rental house (3 bed, 2 bath, separate dining, large fenced front and back, etc.) that was originally less than $200 a month. I could be wrong but I am guessing that is probably what it is like in Puerto Rico. After making a few phone calls (surprised to hear very different dialect in Adjuntas compared to San Juan), I'm guessing my Gringa accent is going to push prices up unless I'm able to curb that tendency with my personality in a face to face situation.

trekrider520 wrote:

Have you tried Clasificados Online?  That site seems to be very popular for real estate, vehicles, merchandise, etc.  Best of luck with your move!

Hi Schuttzie,

Costa Rica is great. There are so many things that I love about this country but I feel called to start, and hopefully complete, a project that would just not work in Costa Rica. I've been asked this question before and, If you don't mind, I'll just include something I posted elsewhere because I do a really horrible job of explaining my plans, LOL.

===============
I love Costa Rica. Particularly the mountain area here in Puriscal where I'm in close proximity to the beach and close proximity to San Jose with all its amenities but nowhere near any of the problems that having all those amenities creates. Puriscal is not a touristy area so there is very low crime, low cost of living, and most people here are super humble. Plus the climate is fantastic. It is year-round spring here. I was sure I would spend the rest of my life here. I purchased a beautiful 16 acre property (which, now, I'm selling to finance my adventure in Puerto Rico) and was making plans to build but I was beyond moved after watching an in-depth report on children and poverty. As a parent it broke my heart to watch other parents struggling to feed, clothe, and house their children and the plight of the children...well, no child should ever know what it is to be hungry or to struggle so severely. I cried for most of the show. I am (and have been most of my life) very blessed and I want to share those blessings with as many other people as possible before I depart this planet. As my first post stated, I decided to start a "homeless farm" first with families and as time and resources allow, single people as well. The problem with doing this in Costa Rica is it will severely limit participation because of the legalities of staying here long-term and the need for a passport so I decided to sell my piece of paradise here and look for a place where my "family farm" (I think I like those words better than "homeless farm") would benefit more than just the local populace. Puerto Rico fits the bill. Not only can I reach out to any local families but there are, also, all 50 States that I could also reach out to.

I realize what I am attempting could come off as arrogant; as if I know better than someone else or as if I feel like my way is the right way but that is, honestly, not it at all. I am not a rich woman. As a matter of fact, I live very comfortably in Costa Rica for under $1000 a month which includes renting my 3 bed two bath house. Yes, the cost of living here, in Costa Rica, is very low but I've also made changes in my life and adapted in ways that allow me and my child to live well on less. These are techniques that I can not only talk about but demonstrate with families in need so that when the time comes, they will be equipped to live a simpler life if they choose. Plus, with several families on the farm at one time, they'll remember the art of neighbouring and working together for the good of your community and not just the immediate community but the world community and...OMG, you poor thing! You asked a simple question and I started a novel! Forgive me but I am very, very passionate about this project. I really feel like I am about to make a difference in someone's life and even if it is just one family that feels helped by my efforts then that is so worth it. OK, I'm shutting up now.
===============

Schuttzie wrote:

Yeah, good for you and how exciting!  Someone will come along and point in the right direction for your shipping container.  May I ask what made you decide PR over Costa Rica?

$300 is not a lot for renting a house, even out in the boonies. It's not going to be easy to find something for that kind of money..
A small studio is what you can get for 300 dollars rent.

I am kinda getting that idea (that it's not going to be easy, that is) but I still have hope. I have found rentals for as low as $250 a month on clasificadosonline but anything under $300, in general, has been few and far between. I just wanted to know if I am only able to find higher cost rentals because I am looking online instead of being on-site in PR or if rental prices for the interior are just much higher than Costa Rica. It sounds like you're giving me the answer. I may need to readjust my budget,  :) .

Gary wrote:

$300 is not a lot for renting a house, even out in the boonies. It's not going to be easy to find something for that kind of money..
A small studio is what you can get for 300 dollars rent.

Generally speaking the cost of living here is higher than in Costa Rica. Check out this: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … Costa+Rica

Also, when you're on the island and start to know people you might learn about a good deal on renting a place. Not everybody here knows about how to use the internet and will try to find tenants by putting up a "se alquila" sign. So you may have to pay more than you planned and get a better deal later.

I was going to say the same as Gary, in that once you are in PR you can probably look around and find something suitable for you and your son.  We viewed a couple of properties while on a recent trip from just word of mouth and driving around touring the neighborhoods. 

I am grateful that you shared so much with us here and what some of your plans are, thank you!  You have a tremendous heart and spirit to take on such a project and I so wish you the best in your endeavors.  It is a wonderful and compassionate project and having all those families working together as a community to help each other as well.  We would like to do some charity work or volunteering somehow once we stay longer term in PR. 

Keep looking and you will find what you are looking for :)

Don't mean to sound harsh but the numbers don't add up in your favor, ladyluz. This relocation could ruin you financially.

Thanks for the Numbeo, Gary. I did see a version of that early on when I first started considering Puerto Rico. I find it amazing that costs for the same types of services can vary so much in price based on location. Water isn't so different here in Costa Rica than in Puerto Rico or the mainland yet I pay $8 a month for my water bill and Numbeo shows Puerto Rico pays quite a bit more. Why is that? Is the water in Puerto Rico somehow wetter than the water in Costa Rica? In Costa Rica, I pay $35 for electricity, $40 for "high-speed" ADSL (includes my land line connected to the service), $12 for my 2nd land line, and $6 for my cell phone.

Gary wrote:

Generally speaking the cost of living here is higher than in Costa Rica. Check out this: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … Costa+Rica

Also, when you're on the island and start to know people you might learn about a good deal on renting a place. Not everybody here knows about how to use the internet and will try to find tenants by putting up a "se alquila" sign. So you may have to pay more than you planned and get a better deal later.

Awww thanks for the kind words and I am really glad to hear I might find better deals once I'm actually on the ground in Puerto Rico. I kinda suspected that but it's nice to have it confirmed.

BTW: I always hoped I would have the experience of raising a son but no luck. I have been blessed with all daughters.

You don't sound harsh at all. The numbers are a little rough but I know I will be selling my property in Costa Rica sooner or later (and it is looking like sooner) so I know the financial aspect is only temporary. It is the reason I really want to find a rent-to-own situation. Renting just feels like throwing money away and even though I plan on buying farm land, it would be nice to have a 2nd property with a home to use as a rental property.

ladyluz wrote:

Awww thanks for the kind words and I am really glad to hear I might find better deals once I'm actually on the ground in Puerto Rico. I kinda suspected that but it's nice to have it confirmed.

BTW: I always hoped I would have the experience of raising a son but no luck. I have been blessed with all daughters.

I'm sorry, I don't know where I got you had a son, lol.  I have two daughters myself :)

ladyluz wrote:

Water isn't so different here in Costa Rica than in Puerto Rico or the mainland yet I pay $8 a month for my water bill and Numbeo shows Puerto Rico pays quite a bit more

Water prices vary a lot. I pay  something like $15 and my brother in law in the next town pays $ 50. I believe it has to do with the cost of getting the water lines to the neighborhood.

ladyluz wrote:

In Costa Rica, I pay $35 for electricity

Be prepared to pay more. My last bill was a little over $100 but a couple of months ago (when the oil was expensive) we paid around 150, 160 bucks/month.

Finding a place for 300 or less may be difficult. There are places in the mountains but most in that range would be a little casita jiborita. A wooden structure with two bedrooms and one bath. The best way is to ask around. The one advantage in being an Americana is that they are more likely to rent as the likelihood of having to evict you would be less likely. You probably know that you will need a car.

Thanks for the heads-up. Eventually we will be investing in solar or wind power but it's good to know what to expect for the time we will be renting. Can I ask what your general consumption is? Do you use air-conditioners, dryers, dish washing units? Do you use "suicide" showers like here in Costa Rica or does your hot water come from a hot water tank, like on the mainland?

Gary wrote:

Be prepared to pay more. My last bill was a little over $100 but a couple of months ago (when the oil was expensive) we paid around 150, 160 bucks/month.

Difficult is not so bad. I can work with difficult. Impossible was what I was beginning to fear after noticing how limited the rentals were in the Adjuntas area. My older two daughters are grown and on their own so a little casita is all that's needed for the two of us.

I noticed that there was no island wide transportation (another really big change from Costa Rica where public transportation is cheap and it is everywhere), so I was planning on buying a car in San Juan since we'll be there for two or three days after landing. I called a dealership and asked if they had anything that was 4x4 and good under the hood but really ugly to deter carjackers. I think he thought I was joking because he laughed. If you have any recommended dealers in that area, I would love to hear about it.

I have to say we are so excited it is ridiculous. I feel like a kid the night before Christmas only my Christmas is still a few weeks away!

Mrkpytn wrote:

Finding a place for 300 or less may be difficult. There are places in the mountains but most in that range would be a little casita jiborita. A wooden structure with two bedrooms and one bath. The best way is to ask around. The one advantage in being an Americana is that they are more likely to rent as the likelihood of having to evict you would be less likely. You probably know that you will need a car.

I know a few farmers from Adjuntas and surroundings. I will ask around if they know of any reasonable rentals. If your budget was more like $450 you would have more choices.

ladyluz wrote:

Can I ask what your general consumption is? Do you use air-conditioners, dryers, dish washing units? Do you use "suicide" showers like here in Costa Rica or does your hot water come from a hot water tank, like on the mainland?

There's two of us. No A/C, dryer or dish washer. No suicide showers either, we have a hot water tank that we only turn on for an hour or two when we need it. I'm going to setup a DIY solar hot water heating system in addition to that to save some electricity.
Then there's a fridge, a small freezer, two or three computers that are used intensively. I don't use the power hungry server right now, there's a energy friendly NAS (network attached storage) unit instead. For the rest some lights and that's basically it.
My average power consumption with the above is 460 - 500 kWh /month.

Thank you for offering to ask around. I would really appreciate it. I think a $450 budget would definitely expand our options but my budget was derived from what I put aside for this venture and my current reality of not yet having sold my property here in CR.

Also, because of my long-term plans for a "family farm", I really want to practice what I preach. I don't want to be the guy who gets liposuction and then sells a fitness DVD telling people they can be fit if they just work hard at it. If I can't live a comfortable and happy life in Puerto Rico on a restricted budget then I really better know that before going any further with my plans for a family farm there.

I've been planning a family farm for the last two years and I had no real thought of going to PR before my property sold but I am feeling guided to leave now. Call it "women's intuition" or "whispers from the universe" or whatever but I've not yet regretted listening to that little voice. Maybe there is some preliminary work in Puerto Rico that I need to do before I sell my property in Costa Rica because, goodness knows, I am an impatient person and, once my property here sells, I will be buying another property immediately, if not sooner. So off we go with the knowledge that, for now, we have to maintain a budget and that things will work themselves out and be great, like always.

Mrkpytn wrote:

I know a few farmers from Adjuntas and surroundings. I will ask around if they know of any reasonable rentals. If your budget was more like $450 you would have more choices.

Certainly follow your intuition. Good buys can be had here on the South Coast- houses and farms. I will keep you posted if I come across something reasonable to rent.

No hot water heaters except for in apartments. Most houses use the electric-heater adapter that goes on the end of the shower head (is that what you refer to as a suicide shower, Gary?) or they go without hot water altogether.

4x4 are expensive because they are in high demand due to the crap roads in PR.

Public trans in PR is terrible to non-existent. Getting around in Latin America proper (the mainland) is 1000x better from a public transportation point of view.

Having lived in Panama and Puerto Rico, I can say that it will be much harder to live comfortably in PR on a tight budget than to live comfortably in Panama. Your dollar will go a lot further in Central America (and I say that understanding that Costa Rica has gotten much more expensive over the last decade largely due to the explosion in the gringo population).

NomadLawyer wrote:

No hot water heaters except for in apartments. Most houses use the electric-heater adapter that goes on the end of the shower head (is that what you refer to as a suicide shower, Gary?) or they go without hot water altogether.

Yup! Nobody can pay me enough to make me take a shower with one of those.. :D

Oh and I have seen many houses, including mine, with a "normal" hot water heater and/or solar warm water systems.

Hi Schuttzie,

May I ask if your children are young and coming with you?

Schuttzie wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't know where I got you had a son, lol.  I have two daughters myself :)

Thanks, again, for the information. I mean, you're scaring me, for sure, but considering I am always so overly optimistic, a little fear is a very good thing. You've actually lived in central America and Puerto Rico (and in Ireland, the place I want most to visit before I die) so it really helps that you are able to actually make comparisons from experience.

I was hoping to get away from the suicide showers but, after nearly 11 years, I guess a few more months won't kill me...I hope,  ;) .

NomadLawyer wrote:

4x4 are expensive because they are in high demand due to the crap roads in PR.

Public trans in PR is terrible to non-existent. Getting around in Latin America proper (the mainland) is 1000x better from a public transportation point of view.

Having lived in Panama and Puerto Rico, I can say that it will be much harder to live comfortably in PR on a tight budget than to live comfortably in Panama. Your dollar will go a lot further in Central America (and I say that understanding that Costa Rica has gotten much more expensive over the last decade largely due to the explosion in the gringo population).

Our girls are almost 21 and 19 1/2.They will not be coming with us so we need to wait until they are more independent to go for long extended visits and hopefully more permanent in the future.